Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wanted to share a chart I use-
f7e0336d3bd765f94c55b232a6abd5ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great chart !

Avocadoes should be safe to eat as long as the dog doesn't eat the pit.
Controversial whether you really need to separate raw food from kibble, some people say you don't need to.

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Great chart !

Avocadoes should be safe to eat as long as the dog doesn't eat the pit.
Controversial whether you really need to separate raw food from kibble, some people say you don't need to.

I haven't had issues when mixing freeze dried raw with raw, but I don't consider that a kibble. I could be wrong.

I didn't have any issues though, when Smash was first transitioned from kibble to raw.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Read the part on fish oil...very interesting...

For other readers.....

I was never a big fan on giving any oils or vitamins on daily basics. Same for humans. If you eat right n balanced n organic if possible, you simple donā€™t need extras in your body. Same for a dog. Why I always say....ā€every other dayā€ in all my post. Ginger n turmeric same thing. Probably the best 2 spice you can feed yourself n your fur balls but again every other day. We are so brain washed by marketing, doctors and/or vets telling us what to do instead of us doing our own homework. Yes of course you listen to your doctors and vets but think out of the box once in a while as a lot of dr n vets are paid to push the big companies kibbles, pharmaceutical meds n more. I too was septic about feeding raw because it wasnā€™t the ā€œwild type rawā€ we have in our wilderness. All the chemicals they put in our food and especially what they feed our chicken, beef, lamb etc etc is scary. But if you do your homework and ā€œaskā€ where n who makes, it will be much healthier down the road for your wallet n your fur balls.

Raw Feeding Made Easy: How To Make A Raw Dog Food Diet

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Read the part on fish oil...very interesting...

For other readers.....

I was never a big fan on giving any oils or vitamins on daily basics. Same for humans. If you eat right n balanced n organic if possible, you simple donā€™t need extras in your body. Same for a dog. Why I always say....ā€every other dayā€ in all my post. Ginger n turmeric same thing. Probably the best 2 spice you can feed yourself n your fur balls but again every other day. We are so brain washed by marketing, doctors and/or vets telling us what to do instead of us doing our own homework. Yes of course you listen to your doctors and vets but think out of the box once in a while as a lot of dr n vets are paid to push the big companies kibbles, pharmaceutical meds n more. I too was septic about feeding raw because it wasnā€™t the ā€œwild type rawā€ we have in our wilderness. All the chemicals they put in our food and especially what they feed our chicken, beef, lamb etc etc is scary. But if you do your homework and ā€œaskā€ where n who makes, it will be much healthier down the road for your wallet n your fur balls.

I've changed my mind about it being healthier to feed your dog sardines or other small fish after reading that they may contain strontium after the Fukushima disaster https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11014105-dogs-fed-sardines-show-high-strontium-levels

I think if you squeeze out fish oil from capsules you will be getting non rancid oil each time, that's what I'm going to do after I finish my sardine cans.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I've changed my mind about it being healthier to feed your dog sardines or other small fish after reading that they may contain strontium after the Fukushima disaster https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11014105-dogs-fed-sardines-show-high-strontium-levels

I think if you squeeze out fish oil from capsules you will be getting non rancid oil each time, that's what I'm going to do after I finish my sardine cans.

From my understanding itā€™s if youā€™re giving fish oil and from a supplement form as you need to extract it to put it into a gel cap...itā€™s better you feed fresh whole fish....I buy frozen stout trout heads..I think thatā€™s how you spell it lol.

Rule #9: Feed Fish Once A Week

Although a lot of raw feeders do, I never give my dogs fish oil. It can easily turn rancid (even high quality oil) and cause inflammation in your dog, itā€™s not environmentally friendly and itā€™s a heated processed product. I feed my dogs to avoid the unhealthy consequences of heating and processing and I donā€™t want to undo all that hard work and extra expense by slathering fish oil all over my dogsā€™ meals. And if youā€™re feeding poultry, your dogā€™s diet will be much too high in polyunsaturated fats if you add fish oil.

Instead of fish oil, you can feed whole fish (like sardines, smelts, herring, mackerel) once or twice a week or you can add a little fish to several meals. At the end of the week, youā€™ll want whole fish to be about 5% of your dogā€™s total diet and this will balance out his fats.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I got a nice frozen fish din din from Kahoots feed store... comes from New Zealand and sounds great for a once or twice a week addition. I LOVED that article [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] !!! and all the little add on things to read. rEal informative!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I got a nice frozen fish din din from Kahoots feed store... comes from New Zealand and sounds great for a once or twice a week addition. I LOVED that article [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] !!! and all the little add on things to read. rEal informative!!

I read a lot....All that is my bedtime reading... then I open my eyes around 3ish a.m. and start thinking. Like noooooo I need my Zzzzzzzzz.....

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash

That is what we do every few days. I also like to derive the nutrients I feed Smash from his food, first, as someone else previously stated. I have not given him any fish because I do not trust it unless I've caught it fresh, but I have used avocado meat, raw chicken egg, probiotics from yogurt and sauerkraut, etc. His coat is quite soft.

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
That is what we do every few days. I also like to derive the nutrients I feed Smash from his food, first, as someone else previously stated. I have not given him any fish because I do not trust it unless I've caught it fresh, but I have used avocado meat, raw chicken egg, probiotics from yogurt and sauerkraut, etc. His coat is quite soft.

To clarify, I live on the gulf and would prefer to give Smash a fresh water fish. Maybe it's piggy perch jerkin' time.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
To clarify, I live on the gulf and would prefer to give Smash a fresh water fish. Maybe it's piggy perch jerkin' time.

Hey, I donā€™t eat fish unless itā€™s also wild caught. Will never buy farm fish. Scary stuff.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

For other readers.....

I disagree with that article where it says "Most of the healthy benefits of the raw diet arenā€™t necessarily because itā€™s raw ā€¦ itā€™s because every other diet is high in starch!" . I don't think dogs need starch or that it's very healthy but I know my dog lost most of her food allergies when she was switched to dehydrated raw, even though it contains sweet potato and split pea. These are good sources of dietary fibre which moves food through the colon so they have some benefit. I would say the main healthy benefit of a raw diet is that it is high in enzymes, or at least the frozen raw is, and also doesn't contain other ingredients that irritate the dog.

Also, I believe it's healthy to feed turmeric TWICE a day, not every other day, since turmeric is eliminated quickly from the body. Turmeric For Dogs

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hey, I donā€™t eat fish unless itā€™s also wild caught. Will never buy farm fish. Scary stuff.

I once worked on a farm that also had a fish pond and they used to throw the dead chickens at the edge of the pond for the fish to feed on. I wouldn't eat farmed fish myself, let alone feed it to my dog.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
When i read any article or even watching anything on tv...I will take some n leave some. Itā€™s plain logic we as the readers need to always think a bit out of the box. But no matter what the article has very good points n very clear especially to the ones that researching into raw. We have to remember that our dogs are ā€œdomesticated ā€œ and nowhere near like wolves in the wild..not even close. I work in the food industry n being inspected on regular basis n I have to know everything out there thatā€™s the doā€™s n don't or Iā€™ll get slammed by the book as we say. I am so by the book when it comes to my product. Rule of thumb...if I wouldnā€™t eat it, I wouldnā€™t feed it to anyone. I can guarantee you very often the ā€œrawā€ thatā€™s being sold to our dogs is not so perfect n balanced like most think. Itā€™s all about money n the dog food industry is billions of dollars yearly. Unless you go buy you own meat, organs n bones from a farmer n yes ask for certification and where the farmer sales etc...and make your own raw for your dog, youā€™ll have a better guarantee youā€™re feeding your furball with a peace of mind. But not everyone has the time. Never forget, most raw out there thatā€™s already dried or frozen itā€™s not animals all organically fed, or grass feed or produce fed etc. one example a lot donā€™t know, these big chicken industries donā€™t buy high end quality chicken feed for there chickens to lay. Most buy the least expensive to get more eggs out on the market n make money. Cheap feed has ā€œArsenicā€ in it to kill parasites that chicken carries. So the fresh free range eggs you think itā€™s clean....think again. I see this in the food industry on regular basis. This article has very good points, but I sure would ask questions on some of her other theories. And yet thatā€™s me. Boils down, no matter what you feed your pet, ask questions as itā€™s your right n your wallet.

Miniequine

Jun 4, 2018
Altoona, FL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy and Bella
Haven't been online or to the group in a while. Loved to see all the positives that go along with the proper, species appropriate diet.
I have not been totally feeding raw due to the difficulty I am having finding sources here near the Altoona FL area. My previous sources are no longer.
Wondered if you or anyone else in the group may offer some insight to this?
Also still having problems finding a good bullie vet!
Thank you all...
Rosemary, Buddy & Bella

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Haven't been online or to the group in a while. Loved to see all the positives that go along with the proper, species appropriate diet.
I have not been totally feeding raw due to the difficulty I am having finding sources here near the Altoona FL area. My previous sources are no longer.
Wondered if you or anyone else in the group may offer some insight to this?
Also still having problems finding a good bullie vet!
Thank you all...
Rosemary, Buddy & Bella

Iā€™m in Canada n canā€™t help you there but Iā€™m sure others in your area will. You can make your own raw for you dogs..Make sure you follow the recipe so the dogs arenā€™t missing anything...usually pet shops will carry frozen raw....

https://dogsfirst.ie/raw-faq/raw-diet-for-dogs/

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online