Raw switch - two week status

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would love to get my dog switched over to Raw... Was there a specific guide you followed?
Another part is that I don't trust myself to handle raw = (

I just tried buying some 2 pound frozen slabs of ground raw dog food (cheaper than buying patties or medallions). It seems pretty easy- I left a 2 pound slab in fridge for about 7-8 hours till it partially thawed, then cut it up into single servings ( 6 pieces for my 34 pound Frenchie ). I then threw the 6 pieces into individual ziplock bags, and put 4 of them back in freezer, and 2 I put back in fridge to further thaw for tomorrow morning.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I just tried buying some 2 pound frozen slabs of ground raw dog food (cheaper than buying patties or medallions). It seems pretty easy- I left a 2 pound slab in fridge for about 7-8 hours till it partially thawed, then cut it up into single servings ( 6 pieces for my 34 pound Frenchie ). I then threw the 6 pieces into individual ziplock bags, and put 4 of them back in freezer, and 2 I put back in fridge to further thaw for tomorrow morning.

Sounds better than what I did... I did a semi thaw as well but was afraid to do too much so had to saw through it and it wore me out..lol I just found that my Steve's food that I get in nuggets, also has come out with 1/2 lb patties in the turducken. It does have chicken (turkey, chicken, duck) but with 3 protiens going, I'm real happy with it and Hank has shown no problem with chicken soooooooo, that's my next addition. Much easier to travel with a bit.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounds better than what I did... I did a semi thaw as well but was afraid to do too much so had to saw through it and it wore me out..lol I just found that my Steve's food that I get in nuggets, also has come out with 1/2 lb patties in the turducken. It does have chicken (turkey, chicken, duck) but with 3 protiens going, I'm real happy with it and Hank has shown no problem with chicken soooooooo, that's my next addition. Much easier to travel with a bit.

Sounds good ! But for travelling I'll use either the Carna4 kibble or EasyRaw dehydrated raw.

Don't get too paranoid about thawing it out too much when you cut it. Dogs' digestive systems can handle all the bacteria that are in the raw food, even if you accidentally completely thaw it and then refreeze it. But I still plan to try to semi thaw in refrigerator anyways.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Sounds good ! But for travelling I'll use either the Carna4 kibble or EasyRaw dehydrated raw.

Don't get too paranoid about thawing it out too much when you cut it. Dogs' digestive systems can handle all the bacteria that are in the raw food, even if you accidentally completely thaw it and then refreeze it. But I still plan to try to semi thaw in refrigerator anyways.

Thanks for that info.. I do have another 2 lb chub so I won’t look at it with evil eyes anymore but go ahead and cut it up :-) I looked into the carna4 and looks great, but to ship here I’m seeing it looks to be even more expensive than just doing Raw. Guessing I will do a dehydrated raw and acana or origin. He does great at it I guess I should quit stressing :-)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks for that info.. I do have another 2 lb chub so I won’t look at it with evil eyes anymore but go ahead and cut it up :-) I looked into the carna4 and looks great, but to ship here I’m seeing it looks to be even more expensive than just doing Raw. Guessing I will do a dehydrated raw and acana or origin. He does great at it I guess I should quit stressing :-)

Yes...quit stressing!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Yes...quit stressing!!!

Ha!! now I've gotton 'IT' from you AND helsonwheels.... lololoolol and actually, since the 'raw' switchover, I'm much less stress which is nice :) Just feel better about it. I'm glad he's always had a chunk here and there of the raw (think you've done that with Louie as well) so the switch was no drama at all.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Ha!! now I've gotton 'IT' from you AND helsonwheels.... lololoolol and actually, since the 'raw' switchover, I'm much less stress which is nice :) Just feel better about it. I'm glad he's always had a chunk here and there of the raw (think you've done that with Louie as well) so the switch was no drama at all.

Hahahaha!! Yup, Louie gets bits here and there and loves it. After he gets neutered (next week) he’ll be getting raw for his pm meal. You’re lucky Hank has no food issues! I’ve learned with Jax that every time I start messing around with his food and trying new things, it messes him up. Just happened with the lamb. Knock on wood....so far Louie hasn’t shown any issues with the different Fromm proteins he’s eaten, including chicken.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hahahaha!! Yup, Louie gets bits here and there and loves it. After he gets neutered (next week) he’ll be getting raw for his pm meal. You’re lucky Hank has no food issues! I’ve learned with Jax that every time I start messing around with his food and trying new things, it messes him up. Just happened with the lamb. Knock on wood....so far Louie hasn’t shown any issues with the different Fromm proteins he’s eaten, including chicken.

Going to try tomorrow mixing the thawed out portion of raw food that's in fridge with some warmed up water to make a thick stew, then add some turmeric , acti-flex 4000, and coconut oil to the mixture.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Going to try tomorrow mixing the thawed out portion of raw food that's in fridge with some warmed up water to make a thick stew, then add some turmeric , acti-flex 4000, and coconut oil to the mixture.

Sounden pretty familiar ;) Are you saying your going to mix in with your 'easy raw' to make the stew as well? if not,, thats a great idea :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sounden pretty familiar ;) Are you saying your going to mix in with your 'easy raw' to make the stew as well? if not,, thats a great idea :)

That would kind of defeat purpose of having frozen raw LOL ( since it's supposed to be better than dehydrated raw ). I calculated that frozen raw if I fed it exclusively would only cost about 67.00 per month so I think that there's no downside.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
That would kind of defeat purpose of having frozen raw LOL ( since it's supposed to be better than dehydrated raw ). I calculated that frozen raw if I fed it exclusively would only cost about 67.00 per month so I think that there's no downside.

oh cool! When you said make a "thick stew" i thought you were using that (mixed with frozen) as your transition ;) Which would work ;) Im so far real happy with our switch. Question Though.......... With the OC Raw 'beef' hes kinda stinkie. And he's never been gassie. Does this mean to add beef slower, or just delete for a bit.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
oh cool! When you said make a "thick stew" i thought you were using that (mixed with frozen) as your transition ;) Which would work ;) Im so far real happy with our switch. Question Though.......... With the OC Raw 'beef' hes kinda stinkie. And he's never been gassie. Does this mean to add beef slower, or just delete for a bit.

The raw food sites say to start first with more digestible proteins such as chicken, turkey, rabbit or duck and later on switching to beef,lamb,or fish and adding tripe if desired. I'm sure Hank will get used to raw food after a while and be less gassy.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The raw food sites say to start first with more digestible proteins such as chicken, turkey, rabbit or duck and later on switching to beef,lamb,or fish and adding tripe if desired. I'm sure Hank will get used to raw food after a while and be less gassy.

Thanks :) And it’s been a couple of months now and the switch was simple no gas until I threw in the beef. He could eat the beef tripe no problem but the beef patty that actually has tripe in it as well, and sounded great I think was just a bit much. In reading back over my notes of the past year, whenever I gave him cooked beef he always got stinky too. Think I’m just gonna lay off of that. And just do the beef tripe when that comes back in stock .

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
Wanted to share a chart I use-
f7e0336d3bd765f94c55b232a6abd5ae.jpg

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.