Raw switch - two week status

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I still think Carna4 is better than Acana. Because of the sprouted beans it doesn't need any added vitamins. My dog has had really solid poos on the Carna4, and only poos twice a day, compared to 3-4 times on the dehydrated raw. She does scratch and lick a bit more than she did on the raw, but not as much as she did on the other kibbles including Acana.
i do believe If I am to get another bag of kibble, which 99% I will, I will give that one a shot. I like having the availability and a dog who can fluctuate between stuff with ease.. looking forward :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
i do believe If I am to get another bag of kibble, which 99% I will, I will give that one a shot. I like having the availability and a dog who can fluctuate between stuff with ease.. looking forward :)

Its worth a try. I gave my dog about 2 days of half dehydrated raw and half Carna4 and then switched totally, with no loose stool issues. I think it's always good to have options. I wouldn't get the chicken since it's chicken and not grain free, so the only other one is duck. They are also coming out with a salmon formula soon according to the company.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wanted to give an update on how the switch over is going with the boys. We finished two weeks of duck protein today and so far what I noticed ...

• Ears -- Lambeau's ears are practically spotless still some brown dirt, but nothing of what it usually is and Cheli's ears have little to no wax build up.
  • Poo -- low volume but they still go two or three times a day (volume is very small each time) expect this to lessen as they are on raw longer
  • Anal glands -- Lambeau's anal gland issue is non-existent!! I have not smelled that 'glorious' odor since starting the raw feeding.

We have added sauerkraut to the menu and I have to mix it in well or they will spit it out. We removed all other types of treats, except for marrow bones) until I get a good idea of the full impact... maybe after 6-8 weeks.
I also still give them raw/unfiltered local honey hoping this will help build Lambeau's immunity to all his environmental allergies.... spring will till on that topic.

I'll continue to update as we move forward.... they start on mackerel protein tomorrow. They both LOVE fish and drool whenever I give them a dried cod skins so hoping they have the same reaction to the mackerel.

Do you think you'll be able to get Lambeau off Cytopoint injections?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Do you think you'll be able to get Lambeau off Cytopoint injections?

Hoping!! Spring time will tell... it is one of the reasons I switched during the winter ... hoping the immune build up will lessenthe need for the shots.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hoping!! Spring time will tell... it is one of the reasons I switched during the winter ... hoping the immune build up will lessenthe need for the shots.

It's worth a try giving Lambeau two antihistamines ( 0.7 mg chlorpheniramine and 20.9 mg hydroxyzine per 10 kg per day, split into twice daily dosing ) Reference : Efficacy of dimetinden and hydroxyzine/chlorpheniramine in atopic dogs: a randomised, controlled, double-blinded trial | Veterinary Record

Also, if he's ok with salmon oil,( or even krill oil or squid oil ) try giving him some from capsules you squeeze out so it will be fresher. I just read today that sardines may not be as healthy lately due to radiation in the ocean water ref:https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/the-best-omega-oil-for-your-dog-or-puppyr so I'm probably going to switch my dog back to salmon oil from capsules once I finish up my sardine cans, and then about 400IU natural source vitamin E from a capsule once weekly.

Healthy dogs can be given 100 to 150 mg EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight daily; dogs who have health problems can be given up to 300 mg per 10 pounds of body weight. One ounce of canned fish with bones (sardines, jack mackerel, pink salmon) averages about 300 mg EPA and DHA combined. Reference: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_9/features/Fish-Oil-Supplements-For-Dogs_20600-1.html

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Dr. Becker was also part of the documentary I watched--- 'Pet Fooled'. I always knew raw was best but due to our schedules we both had to be on board... the documentary helped get my other half in and now he is so happy with the change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Found that documentary here on Netflix, will watch it now....

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to say that anybody who sees this document and keeps on feeding their pets with that s***t should not have any animals, well maybe flies.

Another big problem is antibiotics. Antibiotics are given for everything, just in case. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but most breeders use AI and after that give a round of antibiotics, just in case. That way the puppies being born get the worst start to their lifes, since they will not get the proper healthy bacterial flora in to their digestive system. A healthy working digestive system is the key to a healthy dog without allergies and skin issues.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to say that anybody who sees this document and keeps on feeding their pets with that s***t should not have any animals, well maybe flies.

Another big problem is antibiotics. Antibiotics are given for everything, just in case. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but most breeders use AI and after that give a round of antibiotics, just in case. That way the puppies being born get the worst start to their lifes, since they will not get the proper healthy bacterial flora in to their digestive system. A healthy working digestive system is the key to a healthy dog without allergies and skin issues.

Infuriating... isn't it?!

Raw is best... dehydrated is next and for those unable to afford those they need to get the higher quality kibble... Open Farm and Carna4 are probably the top of all kibble with Acana/Orijen, Zingnature, Fromm

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Unfortunately for Jax, switching to raw helped but it’s not enough for his allergies.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Unfortunately for Jax, switching to raw helped but it’s not enough for his allergies.

I'm thinking that may be Lambeau too... he has such a long list of environmental allergies.. everything green you can think of is on his list

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried giving him probiotics and digestive enzymes? Also unfiltered applecider vinegar can help.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Have you tried giving him probiotics and digestive enzymes? Also unfiltered applecider vinegar can help.

He gets Benebac which is pre and probiotics and he gets green tripe. I tried putting ACV on his water and he wouldn’t touch it.

Marubadu

Jul 27, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sammy
My dog was on Zignature and lost a ton of weight and was pooping a lot. Turns out it has lots of fiber. That’s what the pet store owner said anyway. I think I’m going to try raw for my Sammy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.