Raw switch - two week status

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Christine, this is awesome news!!! As soon as little dude goes home, I'm watching that documentary and I'm making the switch. I've been wanting to for awhile now, I just didn't want to process the raw myself... I think ordering it frozen will be my answer!!!

It is so easy.... and the boys love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....just finished watching PETS FOOLED..... AAFCO really don't give a crap n just accepted what the industry accepts and goes along with that. FDA just goes along with what a label says!!!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....just finished watching PETS FOOLED..... AAFCO really don't give a crap n just accepted what the industry accepts and goes along with that. FDA just goes along with what a label says!!!

Infuriating.... isn't it?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Infuriating.... isn't it?

I like that dark hair vet...she’s too funny. Very direct. They even had this hugh facility here in Alberta that collects all dead animals to grind them up! I know that’s how you’re supposed to do it but like wow! My 2 are mostly on raw. They will be on raw 100% soon.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Been fun to watch... Seems like many are or have done the switch. Hanks also had some frozen raw through his life but now, is mostly raw. Still like him to have good active gut that can switch around so imagine i'll toss him some Acana, and even cooked meals in the mix always??? who knows.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Been fun to watch... Seems like many are or have done the switch. Hanks also had some frozen raw through his life but now, is mostly raw. Still like him to have good active gut that can switch around so imagine i'll toss him some Acana, and even cooked meals in the mix always??? who knows.

Just trying out carna4 duck kibble on my dog right now. This is the only dry dog food that Dr. Karen Becker recommends, so I'd use this over Acana.
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/09/30/why-pet-owners-favor-dry-pet-food.aspx

Carna4 Dog Food - Grain-free Duck - Carna4

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been wanting to for a couple years, but couldn't get other half onboard--- the documentary helped him realize [emoji16]. Once the statement of 'kibble is made to last 25 years'. He was in for the switch.

25yrs on the 90% crap that’s out there. From what I gathered there was probably just a couple kibble brand that was ok but like she said if you can start with one meal a day to raw is a start. And for sure anything made in China and everybody needs to learn to read small fine prints....and put it back!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Just trying out carna4 duck kibble on my dog right now. This is the only dry dog food that Dr. Karen Becker recommends, so I'd use this over Acana.
https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/09/30/why-pet-owners-favor-dry-pet-food.aspx

Carna4 Dog Food - Grain-free Duck - Carna4

looks to be a good one........ thanks! Mostly, Im beginning to just leave frozen up at the 'other' home so im not trying to transfer and keep frozen food each week.. Dang dogs, lol I've always been a conscious eater for me and dogs of mine, infact, a nice pastime of mine, but danged if the prices for BOTH of us aint getting pricie. Something im doing for His second meal (instead of the premade frozen) is making up patties of some good meat, freezing it, and using that 'raw' with kindly, preference etc. So instead of cooking the meat like i was, im just using my frozen patties. with that. Going to possibly see what shipping one of those carna4 bags to cali would be just to have for switch up. As always, thanks for any 'tips' :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
looks to be a good one........ thanks! Mostly, Im beginning to just leave frozen up at the 'other' home so im not trying to transfer and keep frozen food each week.. Dang dogs, lol I've always been a conscious eater for me and dogs of mine, infact, a nice pastime of mine, but danged if the prices for BOTH of us aint getting pricie. Something im doing for His second meal (instead of the premade frozen) is making up patties of some good meat, freezing it, and using that 'raw' with kindly, preference etc. So instead of cooking the meat like i was, im just using my frozen patties. with that. Going to possibly see what shipping one of those carna4 bags to cali would be just to have for switch up. As always, thanks for any 'tips' :)

24.00 for 3 pounds https://www.whitedogbone.com/carna4-dry-dog-food

I still think raw food is healthier, but just wanted to vary it up a little.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I've noticed she's started to lick herself and scratch herself more on the Carna4, so I'll switch her back to dehydrated raw once she finishes the bag.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I've noticed she's started to lick herself and scratch herself more on the Carna4, so I'll switch her back to dehydrated raw once she finishes the bag.

I was almost going to try the Carna4 as a kibble if i was going to keep kibble, so may just stick to what im doing so thanks :) I just got some 2lb frozen 'chubs' of just meat... as in, the meat, the bones, and gizzards/liver. I defrosted just enough to cut through and refreeze and have added that to the hk w/o the protein and/OR i can use my premade OC frozen food, or Steves, or northwest naturals ;) and am still rotating acana , and thk as desired. All seem to do him greatly :) Thank goodness i did it all slowly, and so far!!!!!!!!!!! going great so just adding some suggestions for different ways to do.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I was almost going to try the Carna4 as a kibble if i was going to keep kibble, so may just stick to what im doing so thanks :) I just got some 2lb frozen 'chubs' of just meat... as in, the meat, the bones, and gizzards/liver. I defrosted just enough to cut through and refreeze and have added that to the hk w/o the protein and/OR i can use my premade OC frozen food, or Steves, or northwest naturals ;) and am still rotating acana , and thk as desired. All seem to do him greatly :) Thank goodness i did it all slowly, and so far!!!!!!!!!!! going great so just adding some suggestions for different ways to do.

What brand frozen chubs are you getting that are just meat? I prefer to feed Jax just meat (with bones and organs) without added veggies and/or fruits as I like to control any extras he gets to keep him from getting yeasty. He does well on so few proteins that I always like to have options but it's hard to find raw that doesn't have fruits or veggies in it.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hi Citty :) and i go to a place called "the naked dog" previously called 'protein for pets' . They have their 'naked" food there (as well as other brands) and this is what it sais on the 2 lb chub. ingrediants.... "fresh turkey, ground turkey bone, turkey organ (heart and gizzard) ".. He loves it and i cant see that any of that woud cause him (he eats other frozen and or cooked turkey) grief so I was happy to find and then just add the other stuff (hk is easy for me as he has done good previously on it) I am a brand rotator so this was a great find for us :) I also like the OC food as it doesnt have a lot of what other frozen or freeze dried food has. :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I still think Carna4 is better than Acana. Because of the sprouted beans it doesn't need any added vitamins. My dog has had really solid poos on the Carna4, and only poos twice a day, compared to 3-4 times on the dehydrated raw. She does scratch and lick a bit more than she did on the raw, but not as much as she did on the other kibbles including Acana.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online