Raw switch - two week status

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wanted to give an update on how the switch over is going with the boys. We finished two weeks of duck protein today and so far what I noticed ...

• Ears -- Lambeau's ears are practically spotless still some brown dirt, but nothing of what it usually is and Cheli's ears have little to no wax build up.
  • Poo -- low volume but they still go two or three times a day (volume is very small each time) expect this to lessen as they are on raw longer
  • Anal glands -- Lambeau's anal gland issue is non-existent!! I have not smelled that 'glorious' odor since starting the raw feeding.

We have added sauerkraut to the menu and I have to mix it in well or they will spit it out. We removed all other types of treats, except for marrow bones) until I get a good idea of the full impact... maybe after 6-8 weeks.
I also still give them raw/unfiltered local honey hoping this will help build Lambeau's immunity to all his environmental allergies.... spring will till on that topic.

I'll continue to update as we move forward.... they start on mackerel protein tomorrow. They both LOVE fish and drool whenever I give them a dried cod skins so hoping they have the same reaction to the mackerel.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Wanted to give an update on how the switch over is going with the boys. We finished two weeks of duck protein today and so far what I noticed ...

• Ears -- Lambeau's ears are practically spotless still some brown dirt, but nothing of what it usually is and Cheli's ears have little to no wax build up.
  • Poo -- low volume but they still go two or three times a day (volume is very small each time) expect this to lessen as they are on raw longer
  • Anal glands -- Lambeau's anal gland issue is non-existent!! I have not smelled that 'glorious' odor since starting the raw feeding.

We have added sauerkraut to the menu and I have to mix it in well or they will spit it out. We removed all other types of treats, except for marrow bones) until I get a good idea of the full impact... maybe after 6-8 weeks.
I also still give them raw/unfiltered local honey hoping this will help build Lambeau's immunity to all his environmental allergies.... spring will till on that topic.

I'll continue to update as we move forward.... they start on mackerel protein tomorrow. They both LOVE fish and drool whenever I give them a dried cod skins so hoping they have the same reaction to the mackerel.

Great news !!! Raw is definitely the way to go for our allergic bullies, no point in keep trying out different dry kibbles. I'm trying the opposite way just to see how my raw fed dog reacts to switching to a low temp oven baked dog food, just to vary it up for her. I still plan to alternate with the dehydrated raw, but I just want her to be able to eat different ingredients once in a while. I'll keep everyone posted how she does on the Carna4 Carna4 Dog Food - Grain-free Duck - Carna4

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] That is great Christine! Happy to hear! I have read so much here on the "raw diet" and am interested in it, somewhat.

Is it approached as a better, overall healthy diet for our bully babies OR as a treatment for ailments/allergies ?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] That is great Christine! Happy to hear! I have read so much here on the "raw diet" and am interested in it, somewhat.

Is it approached as a better, overall healthy diet for our bully babies OR as a treatment for ailments/allergies ?

Raw is the best for overall nutrition and health... watching the documentary 'Pet Fooled' pushed me over. I get the food from a place in the Poconos... made to otder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Raw is the best for overall nutrition and health... watching the documentary 'Pet Fooled' pushed me over.

Oh wow, good to know!! Where is that "Pet Fooled" documentary ? Netflix? I will watch it......

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh wow, good to know!! Where is that "Pet Fooled" documentary ? Netflix? I will watch it......

Yes

BTW- i get the raw from a place in the Poconos-- made to order.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
This is excellent news! You really can't beat raw and all of it's benefits. Eventually Louie will be switched over to it.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you Christine. Poconos....great! Do they ship to you? I would need it shipped.

Yep... frozen and shipped to you

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Yep... frozen and shipped to you

OMG thanks Christine, I am excited for Joey....she is tip top shape (thank God) but I always want the very best for her, so.....I am off to research and watch the documentary. Thank you again!!

SiuMai

Sep 1, 2017
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
SiuMai
At what age should we start on Raw?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Great news Christine! Haven't seen that documentary, but I'm sure you won't recret the switch. All bullies that I have right now have been fed raw since at least 8 weeks old and they're in perfect health :)

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Great news Christine! Haven't seen that documentary, but I'm sure you won't recret the switch. All bullies that I have right now have been fed raw since at least 8 weeks old and they're in perfect health :)

I have been wanting to for a couple years, but couldn't get other half onboard--- the documentary helped him realize [emoji16]. Once the statement of 'kibble is made to last 25 years'. He was in for the switch.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Christine, this is awesome news!!! As soon as little dude goes home, I'm watching that documentary and I'm making the switch. I've been wanting to for awhile now, I just didn't want to process the raw myself... I think ordering it frozen will be my answer!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online