Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Raw switch - two week status

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    looks to be a good one........ thanks! Mostly, Im beginning to just leave frozen up at the 'other' home so im not trying to transfer and keep frozen food each week.. Dang dogs, lol I've always been a conscious eater for me and dogs of mine, infact, a nice pastime of mine, but danged if the prices for BOTH of us aint getting pricie. Something im doing for His second meal (instead of the premade frozen) is making up patties of some good meat, freezing it, and using that 'raw' with kindly, preference etc. So instead of cooking the meat like i was, im just using my frozen patties. with that. Going to possibly see what shipping one of those carna4 bags to cali would be just to have for switch up. As always, thanks for any 'tips'

24.00 for 3 pounds https://www.whitedogbone.com/carna4-dry-dog-food

I still think raw food is healthier, but just wanted to vary it up a little.

Bulldog Vet in Training
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

I've noticed she's started to lick herself and scratch herself more on the Carna4, so I'll switch her back to dehydrated raw once she finishes the bag.

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I've noticed she's started to lick herself and scratch herself more on the Carna4, so I'll switch her back to dehydrated raw once she finishes the bag.
    I was almost going to try the Carna4 as a kibble if i was going to keep kibble, so may just stick to what im doing so thanks I just got some 2lb frozen 'chubs' of just meat... as in, the meat, the bones, and gizzards/liver. I defrosted just enough to cut through and refreeze and have added that to the hk w/o the protein and/OR i can use my premade OC frozen food, or Steves, or northwest naturals and am still rotating acana , and thk as desired. All seem to do him greatly Thank goodness i did it all slowly, and so far!!!!!!!!!!! going great so just adding some suggestions for different ways to do.

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie and Jax (French Bulldog)
    Likes (Received)

I was almost going to try the Carna4 as a kibble if i was going to keep kibble, so may just stick to what im doing so thanks I just got some 2lb frozen 'chubs' of just meat... as in, the meat, the bones, and gizzards/liver. I defrosted just enough to cut through and refreeze and have added that to the hk w/o the protein and/OR i can use my premade OC frozen food, or Steves, or northwest naturals and am still rotating acana , and thk as desired. All seem to do him greatly Thank goodness i did it all slowly, and so far!!!!!!!!!!! going great so just adding some suggestions for different ways to do.
    What brand frozen chubs are you getting that are just meat? I prefer to feed Jax just meat (with bones and organs) without added veggies and/or fruits as I like to control any extras he gets to keep him from getting yeasty. He does well on so few proteins that I always like to have options but it's hard to find raw that doesn't have fruits or veggies in it.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

Hi Citty and i go to a place called "the naked dog" previously called 'protein for pets' . They have their 'naked" food there (as well as other brands) and this is what it sais on the 2 lb chub. ingrediants.... "fresh turkey, ground turkey bone, turkey organ (heart and gizzard) ".. He loves it and i cant see that any of that woud cause him (he eats other frozen and or cooked turkey) grief so I was happy to find and then just add the other stuff (hk is easy for me as he has done good previously on it) I am a brand rotator so this was a great find for us I also like the OC food as it doesnt have a lot of what other frozen or freeze dried food has.

9. Likes Cbrugs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

I still think Carna4 is better than Acana. Because of the sprouted beans it doesn't need any added vitamins. My dog has had really solid poos on the Carna4, and only poos twice a day, compared to 3-4 times on the dehydrated raw. She does scratch and lick a bit more than she did on the raw, but not as much as she did on the other kibbles including Acana.

Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

I still think Carna4 is better than Acana. Because of the sprouted beans it doesn't need any added vitamins. My dog has had really solid poos on the Carna4, and only poos twice a day, compared to 3-4 times on the dehydrated raw. She does scratch and lick a bit more than she did on the raw, but not as much as she did on the other kibbles including Acana.
    i do believe If I am to get another bag of kibble, which 99% I will, I will give that one a shot. I like having the availability and a dog who can fluctuate between stuff with ease.. looking forward

Bulldog Vet in Training
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

i do believe If I am to get another bag of kibble, which 99% I will, I will give that one a shot. I like having the availability and a dog who can fluctuate between stuff with ease.. looking forward
    Its worth a try. I gave my dog about 2 days of half dehydrated raw and half Carna4 and then switched totally, with no loose stool issues. I think it's always good to have options. I wouldn't get the chicken since it's chicken and not grain free, so the only other one is duck. They are also coming out with a salmon formula soon according to the company.

13. Likes Hankster liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Wanted to give an update on how the switch over is going with the boys. We finished two weeks of duck protein today and so far what I noticed ...

• Ears -- Lambeau's ears are practically spotless still some brown dirt, but nothing of what it usually is and Cheli's ears have little to no wax build up.
    • Poo -- low volume but they still go two or three times a day (volume is very small each time) expect this to lessen as they are on raw longer
    • Anal glands -- Lambeau's anal gland issue is non-existent!! I have not smelled that 'glorious' odor since starting the raw feeding.

We have added sauerkraut to the menu and I have to mix it in well or they will spit it out. We removed all other types of treats, except for marrow bones) until I get a good idea of the full impact... maybe after 6-8 weeks.
    I also still give them raw/unfiltered local honey hoping this will help build Lambeau's immunity to all his environmental allergies.... spring will till on that topic.

I'll continue to update as we move forward.... they start on mackerel protein tomorrow. They both LOVE fish and drool whenever I give them a dried cod skins so hoping they have the same reaction to the mackerel.
    Do you think you'll be able to get Lambeau off Cytopoint injections?

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Do you think you'll be able to get Lambeau off Cytopoint injections?
    Hoping!! Spring time will tell... it is one of the reasons I switched during the winter ... hoping the immune build up will lessenthe need for the shots.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey (Dolly rehomed)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Hoping!! Spring time will tell... it is one of the reasons I switched during the winter ... hoping the immune build up will lessenthe need for the shots.
    It's worth a try giving Lambeau two antihistamines ( 0.7 mg chlorpheniramine and 20.9 mg hydroxyzine per 10 kg per day, split into twice daily dosing ) Reference : Efficacy of dimetinden and hydroxyzine/chlorpheniramine in atopic dogs: a randomised, controlled, double-blinded trial | Veterinary Record

Also, if he's ok with salmon oil,( or even krill oil or squid oil ) try giving him some from capsules you squeeze out so it will be fresher. I just read today that sardines may not be as healthy lately due to radiation in the ocean water ref:https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/t...r-dog-or-puppyr so I'm probably going to switch my dog back to salmon oil from capsules once I finish up my sardine cans, and then about 400IU natural source vitamin E from a capsule once weekly.

Healthy dogs can be given 100 to 150 mg EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight daily; dogs who have health problems can be given up to 300 mg per 10 pounds of body weight. One ounce of canned fish with bones (sardines, jack mackerel, pink salmon) averages about 300 mg EPA and DHA combined. Reference: https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...s_20600-1.html

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

There is some scientific proof as well that raw food IS healthier....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYgYbDhuE8

20. Likes 2BullyMama, Jersey liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads