Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
So my bulldog has a lot of food allergies. He usually eats Nutrisca Chicken and chick pea recipe (believe it or not he WAS NOT allergic to chicken), which eliminates his food allergies, but his skin still looks bad most of the time. His facial folds and wrinkles have always been the issue.

He recently had had a tummy bug and the vet gave him Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets, vegetarian. His skin looks wonderful! We are running out of the 6 lb bag now, but Iā€™m questioning putting him back on the old food. BUT the Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets is $100 for a 25 lb bag (yikes!) ad opposed to the $50 for his original food, AND I know Purina is kind of sucky quality whereas Nutrisca is good quality.

Iā€™m just not sure if I should go back to the other food, but I also would really not like to pay $100 a bag. Could the vegetarian formula make so much of a difference even tho heā€™s not allergic to chicken? Not sure what to do.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would start with a limited ingredient dehydrated raw product that has a protein you know your dog is ok with, eg. Honest Kitchen Spruce (duck), Honest Kitchen Hope (beef) , Honest Kitchen Marvel (turkey)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They could be allergic to the chick peas... is there another option for you with those?

Look into one of these five if not no particular order... remember more spent in high quality food is less issues and less vet visits

Zingature
Acana
Earthborn Holistic
Orijen
Fromm

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
They could be allergic to the chick peas... is there another option for you with those?

Look into one of these five if not no particular order... remember more spent in high quality food is less issues and less vet visits

Zingature
Acana
Earthborn Holistic
Orijen
Fromm

Good luck and keep us posted.

I was starting to wonder that because I donā€™t think chick peas were included in the allergy testing. Iā€™ll look at those brands. It was hard to find a good for him because he is allergic to potatoes. That was the big kicker for a lot of foods :-/

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was starting to wonder that because I donā€™t think chick peas were included in the allergy testing. Iā€™ll look at those brands. It was hard to find a good for him because he is allergic to potatoes. That was the big kicker for a lot of foods :-/

My girl was allergic to chicken, salmon and potatoes.... Fromm Pork and peas worked for her

OP
Mcleanb7

Mcleanb7

Dec 1, 2014
SC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Chubbs
My girl was allergic to chicken, salmon and potatoes.... Fromm Pork and peas worked for her

just checked it out, it does have chick peas (3rd ingredient) and cheese. Allergic to milk. Trust me this is a headache :fie:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
How about going raw? Is that an option for you?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
or,,,,,, check the ingredients in the purina and make a checklist of whats in there (ie... is there flax, chic peas etc) as those ingredients seem ok for her she seems NOT to be alergic to and then check those other brands listed for those things, and then chose one with a protien (chicken?) that you know is ok with her.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
just checked it out, it does have chick peas (3rd ingredient) and cheese. Allergic to milk. Trust me this is a headache :fie:

Yep... my boy was allergic to all dairy.... it is brutal finding the right food. Look at Zingnature or Acana.... they have limited ingredient single protein options. Also, The Honest Kitchen might be are real viable option -- call their customer service line and they will help you select the right mix based on the allergies you know.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.