made the switch to natures variety instinct

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Today was the day I'm starting to switch Samson off his junky prescription food. I chose to go with natures variety instinct chicken meal formula...mostly because the flavours are interchangeable.
My only question is that every source of protien in these formulas is a "meal" is this really a quality source of protein or am I missing something.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
There is nothing wrong with it being meal, NVi is an excellent food. My Samson eats NVI too and he does great on it :up: This was taken from one of the articles on food that we have here:

Meat sources in "meal" form (as long as they are from a specified type of animal, such as chicken meal, lamb meal, salmon meal etc.) are not inferior to whole, fresh meats. Meals consist of meat and skin, with or without the bones, but exclusive of feathers/hair, heads, feet, horns, entrails etc. and have the proper calcium/phosphorus ratio required for a balanced diet. They have had most of the moisture removed, but meats in their original, "wet" form still contain up to 75% water. Once the food reaches its final moisture content of about 9-12%, the meat will have shrunk to sometimes as little as 1/4 of the original amount, while the already dehydrated meal form remains the same and you get more concentrated protein per pound of finished product.

Last edited:
OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Okay thanks a lot. The lady at the store was saying its junk because its meal ..I decided to go against her advice and get it anyway.

What formula is ur pup on if you dont mind me asking.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
My Vegas has had wonderful results with the Nature's Variety Instinct SALMON. I started him out on the salmon with great results, his next bag was chicken and he took two steps backwards, now I stay away from poultry because I believe he has an allergy to that as well. If Samson does not do real well on the chicken, don't give up NVI is an EXCELLENT food, but it may be that Samson like Vegas can not do chicken.

Dana Mayhall

Mar 21, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly, Bud and Kami
I had to change my EB to this kind of food today per the vet request. My Tilly has bad allergies and he wants to try this kind of food and see what happens.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had to change my EB to this kind of food today per the vet request. My Tilly has bad allergies and he wants to try this kind of food and see what happens.
[MENTION=2068]Dana Mayhall[/MENTION] what is your bully eating currently? Likely this is a good choice, and it sounds like you have a good vet too! Many vets 'underestimate' the value of diet when it comes to bulldogs!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay thanks a lot. The lady at the store was saying its junk because its meal ..I decided to go against her advice and get it anyway.

What formula is ur pup on if you dont mind me asking.

As Tessa quoted, I did research about meal too- because I had heard the same. That is quoted of my article I wrote about pet food labels. Whole fresh meats are wonderful, but lose their moisture. Check out the article, I tried to make the comparisons so that it is easy to understand- as much as I possibly could- because it is not easy to understand food labels at all. As a matter of fact, here is the whole section on dog food and nutrition and all the articles we have written :)

English Bulldog News Forums ~ - Dog Food And Nutrition

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My Samson, like kmarino's Vegas is on the salmon formula and like Vegas does NOT do well on chicken. Samson doesn't do well on turkey either, we tried the duck/turkey formula that NVI has and he had a terrible reaction. I do want to try the beef and lamb formula next.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
What exactly do I look for in an allergic reaction. Samson has always had bald spots. The vet doesn't know what they are. There's no mytes no redness or anything they justseem dry?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What exactly do I look for in an allergic reaction. Samson has always had bald spots. The vet doesn't know what they are. There's no mytes no redness or anything they justseem dry?

Probably allergies or fungus. A good food may help that problem!

Look for itching, paw licking, yeast and redness in the facial folds, pink-er skin, watery eyes.... these signs usually wont show up for about 3-5 days after the switch.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Okay thank you I will look for thsese now that I did the food switch. I have never notice these signs before. I have had him on Purina gastrointestinal formula and supplementing 1000 mg of omega 3 and 400 iu of vitamin e. Is this still nessecary?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I'm going to give NVI a try since I found a store on island that carries it. I started Moe out on Fromm and would have liked to keep him on it, but I need to find a different high quality food that isn't so expensive... I had to order Fromm by mail, and the shipping charges are as much as the food itself. So I tried Wellness since it was rated 6 stars... Moe is dealing with loose stools, and I have read from others experiencing the same, so I'll try NVI next.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Okay thank you I will look for thsese now that I did the food switch. I have never notice these signs before. I have had him on Purina gastrointestinal formula and supplementing 1000 mg of omega 3 and 400 iu of vitamin e. Is this still nessecary?

I would say no unless your vet specifically prescribed it. A nice thing to add though to their food is salmon oil (wild alaskan is best), does wonders for their skin and coat! Alot of people on here use this one:

Grizzly Salmon Oil 32oz

I know the grizzly one is real good but so is this one and it is readily available at my local feed store so this is the one I use:

Plato Pet Treats - Salmon Oil

Other than that I don't use any supplements. Just natures variety instinct and salmon oil everyday. I like to add fruits/veggies, yogurt and pumpkin for variety.

Last edited:
OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Ive heard really good things about the grizzly salmon oil and i really wanted to try it. The best i could find on amazon was 51 dollars for the 32 oz, but ebay had the 64 oz for 65 dollars shipped. CND. is this an okay deal?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Carolina pet pantry has grizzly salmon oil and we have a couPon code for them in the coupon board :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online