Protein Question

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
What protein food is your EB on? And what proteins can your EB not eat? Also is it grain free?
I'm trying to see which protein chicken, fish, lamb, beef, etc... works well for EBs

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Every bully is different. Mine can have beef, pork, venison, bison, kangaroo, alligator, elk, emu, rabbit and ostrich any time but she can only have duck, and turkey, salmon in moderation. However, she can't have lamb or chicken at all as she almost immediately breaks out in hives. Everything she gets is grain free as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What protein food is your EB on? And what proteins can your EB not eat? Also is it grain free?
I'm trying to see which protein chicken, fish, lamb, beef, etc... works well for EBs

One thing make sure you read this link to answer some of your questions, and subscribe to the dog advisor webpage or bookmark it.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/about-meat-meal/

I said it numerous times, in EBN, if its only kibbles you want to give your dog, stick to ONE protein at a time. I did one bag per month. Takes a good month to see any reaction. If a dog develops any allergies, you will see it in a couple weekish. After a month give another type of protein so on....example, one month lamb, next month beef, following month duck etc etc. Introduce protein slowly so you can eliminate what he can eat or not. Sometimes it's not the protein the issue but other ingredients in it like potatoes or starch or lentils etc. Why if you do one bag at a time it will be less confusing as you will have noted it down. After 6 months down the road you should know what not to give. Also stick to a high end brand and yes always grain free....orijen, acana or fromm. These brands do make one protein per bag. Im sure there are a couple of other brands do to. If you go raw you willhave much less headaches and worry less about allergies.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie has had chicken, duck, salmon, pork and rabbit and has done fine on all of them so far.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All are different, but my guys have had issues with chicken, lamb and salmon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Easiest way to find out would be to choose a base mix like Honest Kitchen Preference or Kindly, and then add a cooked protein to it for at least a couple of weeks each time and see which ones your dog does well with.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon and beef, but she does well with pork and lamb, we feed her Fromms
Lamb and Lentil, and switch it up with Fromms Pork and Applesauce. Our male Bulldozer is a hot mess, he is allergic to 7 proteins, he can't have chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, pork, rabbit, or kangaroo. Last year I put him on Natural Balance
Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble for a month to detoxify him from all proteins, he did really well on this, but lost weight because it wasn't enough protein, so I tried Matural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison, and he does okay, on this as well, not 100% but I alternate between the two every other week, hoping tat he won't get sensitive to the new protein.
I recently learned about a new food from Italy by a company named Farmina. It is called N&D Quinoa Skin and coat. It is a single animal protein, and contains venison, quinoa, coconut and turmeric. It is a grain free formula and gluten free. He's been on it for a week, and he's tolerating it really well. I didn't have any of his old food to do a slow transition, but he did great, and his poops stayed normal and solid, no problems with tummy upset. It's kind of pricey a 5.5 lb bag is $45, but if he does well on it it will be worth it. All the ingredients are sourced in Italy with no hormones, antibiotics, GMOs, or steroids used in their animals. They have no artificial preservatives, and use cruelty free research. I really like this food so far, but it's hard to,find here, only one store carries it, and they told me that Venison is getting hard to find, so may not always be available, plus they only carry a few bags, because not a lot of people buy it. I hope I will be able to continue buying it. They also have a Boar formula, which we haven't tried yet, so may be an option?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    662.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 116
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty has to stay away from Chicken, Beef and Turkey. He doesn't break out, his skin and coat gets dry and flaky and he will get constipated. I also keep him off anything with potatoes. He cannot eat Acana USA. He had a massive yeast outbreak although he did great on Acana, Canada. Different ingredients. I still have a few proteins I haven't tried him on but I am keeping those in reserve, just in case. He alternates between Zignature Duck and Salmon & Trout. All grain free of course.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon and beef, but she does well with pork and lamb, we feed her Fromms
Lamb and Lentil, and switch it up with Fromms Pork and Applesauce. Our male Bulldozer is a hot mess, he is allergic to 7 proteins, he can't have chicken, salmon, beef, lamb, pork, rabbit, or kangaroo. Last year I put him on Natural Balance
Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble for a month to detoxify him from all proteins, he did really well on this, but lost weight because it wasn't enough protein, so I tried Matural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison, and he does okay, on this as well, not 100% but I alternate between the two every other week, hoping tat he won't get sensitive to the new protein.
I recently learned about a new food from Italy by a company named Farmina. It is called N&D Quinoa Skin and coat. It is a single animal protein, and contains venison, quinoa, coconut and turmeric. It is a grain free formula and gluten free. He's been on it for a week, and he's tolerating it really well. I didn't have any of his old food to do a slow transition, but he did great, and his poops stayed normal and solid, no problems with tummy upset. It's kind of pricey a 5.5 lb bag is $45, but if he does well on it it will be worth it. All the ingredients are sourced in Italy with no hormones, antibiotics, GMOs, or steroids used in their animals. They have no artificial preservatives, and use cruelty free research. I really like this food so far, but it's hard to,find here, only one store carries it, and they told me that Venison is getting hard to find, so may not always be available, plus they only carry a few bags, because not a lot of people buy it. I hope I will be able to continue buying it. They also have a Boar formula, which we haven't tried yet, so may be an option?
Have you tried Zignature venison? All Zignature kibbles are limited ingredients ( although a lot of vitamins and minerals added ).

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Have you tried Zignature venison? All Zignature kibbles are limited ingredients ( although a lot of vitamins and minerals added ).

I haven't tried Zignature, I don't know if we have that brand in Canada, as I have never heard of it. I'll check into it, and if this new food doesn't work, then maybe I'll have to try it. I usually try to give a new food change a month to see if there is any improvement. He's been on the N&D for two weeks, and he's doing okay, so will see after a month. Thanks for the information on Zignature.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I haven't tried Zignature, I don't know if we have that brand in Canada, as I have never heard of it. I'll check into it, and if this new food doesn't work, then maybe I'll have to try it. I usually try to give a new food change a month to see if there is any improvement. He's been on the N&D for two weeks, and he's doing okay, so will see after a month. Thanks for the information on Zignature.

You can get the Zignature online from homesalive https://www.homesalive.ca/brands/zignature/kasiks-cage-free-chicken-canned-cat-formula-individual-12-5-oz-14646.html or I think Big Als aquarium store carries it too. A few members here have had good luck with it.

Another one that looks good to me that is readily available at Pet Valu and Global Pet Foods is: Go! Sensitivity + Shine Limited Ingredient Diet Venison http://petvalu.com/product/FCM00947/sensitivity-shine-limited-ingredient-diet-venison-recipe-go

Most Reactions