thinking chicken is the culprit

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Chaos was changed over to Fromm chicken a la veg about 3 to 4 wks ago. He loves it as he did the chicken soup food i had him on before fromm. He had double ear infections at around 10 weeks old while on the chicken soup. Now with the fromm his ears are still very red. No gunk, just look really irritated or something. I had decided to feed him the fromm puppy for a bit, then tonight I started thinking it has chicken in it too, and what if hes allergic slightly to chicken? It takes him a while to go through a 15 lb bag, he still has a good bit of the first bag almost 4 week in. Should I try the beef frittata just to see if his ears clear up with no chicken? I went ahead and cancelled my order for now until I decide what to do.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
My Samson does TERRIBLE on chicken. Then proved to do terrible on the NVI Duck/Turkey formula which I assume has to do with the turkey because turkey is real similiar to chicken. I would try the frittata or surf and turf. Fromm is an awesome food but not all the formulas are good for all bullys. Like Sam did great on the surf and turf but the chicken one would, I'm sure, cause a terrible allergic reaction.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I forgot to add, Samson had ear infections for 6 months straight. I switched to Natures Variety Instinct and they went away! You may want to try NVI Samson and [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] Vegas does best on the salmon formula.

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy also has done badly on chicken,duck,and turkey. Lamb was marginally better but not much.
4 days into another switch this time whitefish and its too eatly to say.....how long is it before I know its def the new food btw? x

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas had allergies and an ear infections I changed his food to NVI Salmon, then the next bag I bought was the chicken flavor, Vegas did bad on the NVI chicken, I put him back on the Salmon flavor and he has done great.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Also, I am pretty sure you can return your bag of food that is opened. Fromm guarantees their foods, somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie did well on the Fromm Surf and Turf but remained a bit itchier than we thought she should be. We then switched her to the Beef Frittata that has no chicken in it and she was much better so we surmised that it was the chicken in the Surf and Turf. BUT, we ALSO at the same time switched her from a treat that was full of :poo: to Blue Buffalo treats that were grain/gluton/chicken free. We have a feeling that the treats were what made the big difference.
As important as food choice is I think people tend to ignore the treat part and it really does make a difference. IF your dog wont eat veggies for a treat like HRH the I highly recommend that you try the Blue Buffalo treats I described above.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Over here, we can return any fromm bag as long as it's more than half full and in original packaging.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
That is correct but Im not positive it even needs to be over half full. They guarantee their food but you must return it in its original bag so if you transfer your food to another container, keep the bad, just in case.
Fromm Corp. is only about 20 miles from us... I keep saying Im going to go there some time but haven't yet.. LOL

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We believe that Maggie is allergic to chicken from the awful response she had on the Fromm Chicken n Veggie. Since then we have had her on the Beef Frittata, and right now it's the Surf n Turf. I know that the Surf n Turf has some chicken in but so far it really doesn't seem to bother her, so I think she can manage small amounts of chicken just not the full chicken!!!

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
When bringing a puppy home, is it worth while to go straight to the grain-free or should you start with one of the other ones first (or even go for the Puppy version)?? I gotta say this food thing is almost more overwhelming that the dog in the first place, lol.

Then on top of that, everyone says to watch the protein intake for pups, the Puppy is 27% , the std 4 star is 24% and the grain free is 30% ugh.....

Should've mentioned this post refers to the Fromm brand. Thanks

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2135]jmill79[/MENTION] I wouldn't go straight to the grain free unless you know they are allergic to grain. Also, don't stay away from chicken unless you find out that your bully is allergic to chicken. The Fromm 4* range is an all-stages food that is suitable for puppies through to senior dogs. However, I know that some members on here just didn't feel comfortable giving their puppies the 4*, and so have started with their puppy food instead. I believe in Fromm as it has been so wonderful for Maggie, so we made a slow switch to the same food when we got Daddy at 9 weeks. He has thrived on it and is now 45lb at 8 months old.

So go with the puppy Fromm if you feel more comfortable, otherwise I would choose any flavour from the 4* range and see how your baby bully reacts to it. Unfortunatley, finding the right food is trial and error but so well worth it in the end.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
We think Hudson's problem was chicken too. He went from Eukanuba (during our ignorant stage) to Wellness turkey/chicken which he liked and helped his energy and bully physique to the Wellness Core Ocean. We can't find it in any stores around here, but we order it from Petflow. Seafood does seem to be the general consensus around here.
We just finished up a long course of antibiotics and steroids, so good luck with your progress! We're still working at it too!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2135]jmill79[/MENTION] Where is your bully coming from?? The reason I ask, is that there is a big possibility that he/she is not on Fromm at the moment. Therefore when you do get your new baby I would keep them on the old food for a day or so whilst they adjust to the new surroundings. Then start to SLOWLY switch them over to the fromm. For both our bullys we took about 10 - 14 days to complete the switch (maybe we were over cautious, but there is nothing worse than a dog with an upset stomach!!) Every 3 days I would increase the amount of fromm and gradually switch out the old food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online