Does someone know about royal canine ultamino dry food ?

Jimmy0713

Oct 2, 2017
Miami Florida
Country
Miami fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Biggie is a 4 years old English bulldog that has been battling allergies for a while, I tried several foods all good quality. First he was on blue buffalo but develop yeast grown so I change for natures instinct, natureā€™s logic all grain free, vet recommended prescription food by hills and he was ok on it until antibiotics wore out, then back on natures variety instinct raw limited ingredients but he got worse, he also had apoquel meds and cytopoint shoots , that work for a while. Now I was trying to get him out meds and start gave him this new dehydrated limited ingredients food from honest kitchen but after the cytopoint shot went away the allergies came back strong. I took him to the vet and after more antibiotics and another cytopoint shoot this vet want him on royal canine ultamino food, he says thatā€™s the way we will find out if is food or environment allergies.
I look to the ingredients and the first one is corn starch and some chicken by products, I heard those are big allergens. For me it seems that every time I go to a different veterinarian ( I been in several at least 6) they just want to promote their meds and food companies they have deals with.
I want to thank everyone here for all the information you shared, itā€™s been valuable.

Attachments

• 50659BA3-2181-457B-A771-45F742FA983E.jpeg
    50659BA3-2181-457B-A771-45F742FA983E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 488

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
RC is crap food. The best way to find a food allergy is to do an elimination diet. Start with just one protein and give for a month or so and see if there is any reaction to it. Then introduce a different protein. Just one protein at a time. And don't give any treats. Sometimes the issue could be peas or potatoes or a veggie or fruit so really limit what you are giving. If you want to stick to kibble, I think Zignature is a limited ingredient food and Acana has a Singles line as well.

Also, IMO, if the Apoquel and/or Cytopoint were working, I would say it's an environmental issue as those have nothing to do with food allergies. My French Bulldog was on Apoquel and now doing Cytopoint because he is allergic to everything green outside.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Your boy is gorgeous!!

Agree with Citty- if Apoquel/Cytopoint worked .. it is environmental.

What type of issues does he have? Scratching, yeast, rashes, ear infections??

Stay off RC Hills and Science Diet... all crap food .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Make sure you give him probiotics with all that antibiotic. Fermented Sauerkraut in the refrigerator would be a great one.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with all above .. Maybe try Zignature Kangaroo... probably he will be fine with that. https://www.chewy.com/zignature-kangaroo-limited-ingredient/dp/118056 Or you can even better go with one of the limited ingredient dehydrated raw diet like Honest Kitchen.

I would try a doggie probiotic preferably, eg. Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC. Or, the live sauerkraut, green tripe or kefir if you can't get doggie probiotic.

Also add on a paste of turmeric, freshly ground pepper and raw virgin coconut oil mixed into the dog food.

OP
J

Jimmy0713

Oct 2, 2017
Miami Florida
Country
Miami fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hi back, Biggie had a lot yeast and his skin was full of scabs and ear infection and was lethargic, after the vet visit and the antibiotics and cytopoint shot he got better. I got him Zignature venison limited ingridients and heā€™s been on this food for almost three weeks, he still ok, no eye discharge and heā€™s skin itā€™s Better. Now I notice today he has some black spots like hot spots but with a dark rings, not to bad but he didnā€™t have it before, I have him Greek yogurt plain probiotics and omega 3 and vitamin d. Thatā€™s all been gave him, no treats and nothing else.
I appreciate your time, thanks everybody for your sharing C076ED5E-DC47-4A6A-85E2-3074891EC844.jpeg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Itā€™s my understanding that Apoquel is an anti-inflammatory that will treat inflammation regardless of the cause. I would not rule out any cause at this point. A blood allergy test will eliminate the guess work with which all of the Vets have been engaged. See a dermatologist and get your handsome one tested.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Itā€™s my understanding that Apoquel is an anti-inflammatory that will treat inflammation regardless of the cause. I would not rule out any cause at this point. A blood allergy test will eliminate the guess work with which all of the Vets have been engaged. See a dermatologist and get your handsome one tested.

The gold standard for food allergy testing is an elimination diet, and skin testing for environmental allergies.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi back, Biggie had a lot yeast and his skin was full of scabs and ear infection and was lethargic, after the vet visit and the antibiotics and cytopoint shot he got better. I got him Zignature venison limited ingridients and heā€™s been on this food for almost three weeks, he still ok, no eye discharge and heā€™s skin itā€™s Better. Now I notice today he has some black spots like hot spots but with a dark rings, not to bad but he didnā€™t have it before, I have him Greek yogurt plain probiotics and omega 3 and vitamin d. Thatā€™s all been gave him, no treats and nothing else.
I appreciate your time, thanks everybody for your sharing View attachment 109338

Can you post a picture of the spots you mention, please?

OP
J

Jimmy0713

Oct 2, 2017
Miami Florida
Country
Miami fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
46C707AC-F1F4-4EFF-A819-BF1217CFD78E.jpeg

E6335F01-0DF2-49A3-B3F0-05001D9ED982.jpeg

Not sure if u could see it well , I will take more pics tomorrow with the sunlight, thank you

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So a few years ago Jax had some sores on his belly area that turned black. It was from a food allergy. Not sure if thatā€™s what is going on here.

OP
J

Jimmy0713

Oct 2, 2017
Miami Florida
Country
Miami fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
So a few years ago Jax had some sores on his belly area that turned black. It was from a food allergy. Not sure if thatā€™s what is going on here.

He was on honest kitchen limited ing turkey parsnip for couple months and before that, he was on natures v limited ing raw salmon but heā€™s allergies were out of control so I switched to honest kitchen. Now heā€™s been on Zignature limited ing venison for the last 10 days, heā€™s been ok but he had a cytopoint shot and antiobitics 3 weeks ago. I tried so many foods, all good quality. I start to think he has a environmental allergies.
If the allergies comes back I would have to take for an allergies test.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
He was on honest kitchen limited ing turkey parsnip for couple months and before that, he was on natures v limited ing raw salmon but heā€™s allergies were out of control so I switched to honest kitchen. Now heā€™s been on Zignature limited ing venison for the last 10 days, heā€™s been ok but he had a cytopoint shot and antiobitics 3 weeks ago. I tried so many foods, all good quality. I start to think he has a environmental allergies.
If the allergies comes back I would have to take for an allergies test.

If you want to treat environmental allergies without expense of skin testing and without using cytopoint or apoquel, you can give your dog Respit immunotherapy sublingually. Takes months to start working, but after a few years your dog's allergies will probably be cured, and without any side effects.

Zignature food is good for allergies, but not as good as a dehydrated raw diet such as the Honest Kitchen brand, or Spot Farms or Only Natural EasyRaw brands. Or, just go with a frozen ground raw diet which is just meat and organ and bones.

Marta

Dec 2, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Did you ever figure this out? What food is Biggie on?
Rocky is 2 y.o. and he has those little bald spots as well. The vet recommended we put him on RC Ultamino.
I had him on many different foods, none have worked. Including Zignature, Earthborn Holistic, Taste of the Wild, Wellness CORE (Grain-Free).
Also, all the vets keep saying how bad these grain-free kibbles are & that they're linked to heart problems.
I also tried him out on a raw-diet & he got salmonella the 2nd week he was on it so that's not something I would go back to, not worth the risk.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Did you ever figure this out? What food is Biggie on?
Rocky is 2 y.o. and he has those little bald spots as well. The vet recommended we put him on RC Ultamino.
I had him on many different foods, none have worked. Including Zignature, Earthborn Holistic, Taste of the Wild, Wellness CORE (Grain-Free).
Also, all the vets keep saying how bad these grain-free kibbles are & that they're linked to heart problems.
I also tried him out on a raw-diet & he got salmonella the 2nd week he was on it so that's not something I would go back to, not worth the risk.

When trying the kibbles what protein were you using? Try a novel protein like goat or kangaroo Zingnature brand. If you were try different foods with same protein that could be the issue.. also, grain free turned out to be false issue, there are new studies with real data on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.