Acana wild Atlantic Regionals

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I would like to use this one again for Hanks 'dry' portion this month as he did great on it previously. My question is...Are we still having 'fish' mercury? issues these days? It's got 5 stars (even usa) on dogfoodadvisor so I'm thinking it would be ok for the month?? Opinions please :) Grasslands is great, but want/need to switch things up..

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Wow, complete opposite from dogfoodadvisor.. hummmm, Don’t know what to think for sure as I have already poured it in the containers and cut up the bag LOL.. He went through a bag months and months ago we shall see I guess

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow, complete opposite from dogfoodadvisor.. hummmm, Don’t know what to think for sure as I have already poured it in the containers and cut up the bag LOL.. He went through a bag months and months ago we shall see I guess

Im going to say something some wont approve but heh........ I did a lot of research on this "clean label project" from what ive read regarding their research n how they do it.... I would take it with a grain of salt as we say.

There are different kinds of acana fish...Pacifica which is fish caught from North Vancouver Island,
The Freshwater Fish.. trout from Idaho, whole Blue catfish from Kentucky, and wild Yellow perch from the Great Lakes and Wild Atlantic which the fish comes from New England. Put it this way, I rather eat fish or seafood that comes from our waters than 3rd world countries. I want my fish with 2 clear eyes and smells fresh caught. The bag you're asking, it's made in the Kentucky plant n not Canada. A lot of members are feeding US Acana and their doing fine. Up to you.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks for input.. we have used both the Canada when it was available, and now the Kentucky plant which has seemingly been fine with us. He still getting his raw and honest kitchen as well so hopefully, this will be a good addition.. mostly i was worried about mercury stuff .. When he was a young pup, this is the food that straightened him out so we shall see..

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thanks for input.. we have used both the Canada when it was available, and now the Kentucky plant which has seemingly been fine with us. He still getting his raw and honest kitchen as well so hopefully, this will be a good addition.. mostly i was worried about mercury stuff .. When he was a young pup, this is the food that straightened him out so we shall see..

I would just feed Hank a can of sardines once or twice a week.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Agree with [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would just feed Hank a can of sardines once or twice a week.

This^^^^

The Wild Atlantic is the one that gave Monty a huge yeast outbreak so not a fan! He was on Pacifica before that and did great. I have kept away from the USA Acana ever since. I don't know if it was the fish or any of the other ingredients they changed so I won't take a chance. I know others haven't had any problems at all, just my experience.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This^^^^

The Wild Atlantic is the one that gave Monty a huge yeast outbreak so not a fan! He was on Pacifica before that and did great. I have kept away from the USA Acana ever since. I don't know if it was the fish or any of the other ingredients they changed so I won't take a chance. I know others haven't had any problems at all, just my experience.
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] Idk the Wild Atlantic as I personally wouldn't buy it since we have the Canadian ones here. If you really want to give Acana on the fish side I would stick to Pacifica as I know my Canadian waters and not much on US waters. Cans of sardines, I always read where them little sardines are from. I dont buy any fish outside of Canada and in some places in the US. I know im a picky eater. I just like to know where my food n my dog's comes from.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks for all the input... I wonder why it has the 5* at dogfoodadvisor :/ even the usa one which many of even the Acana just get 4 1/2 on the usa ones. . Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do as I cut the label of the bag, mabie even tossed the bag.. lol I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if a switch can be made. 80 bucks here so will try to do something. Thanks again :) oh yea ps ;) He's been on Acana or Orijen (mostly usa) for his dry food most of his life and done great so not worried about it being usa, just this particular fish one as in checking, it was the other fish one he had before not this one :/ so hopefully, they will let me switch back to either grasslands or????

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Thanks for all the input... I wonder why it has the 5* at dogfoodadvisor :/ even the usa one which many of even the Acana just get 4 1/2 on the usa ones. . Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do as I cut the label of the bag, mabie even tossed the bag.. lol I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if a switch can be made. 80 bucks here so will try to do something. Thanks again :)
You can definitely use up the bag. Those fish in there aren't really heavily contaminated compared to King mackerel, marlin, orange roughy, shark, swordfish, tilefish, ahi tuna, and bigeye tuna so one bag won't hurt Hank. I just mentioned cleanlabel project to point out that dogs shouldn't be on a fish diet long term.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You can definitely use up the bag. Those fish in there aren't really heavily contaminated compared to King mackerel, marlin, orange roughy, shark, swordfish, tilefish, ahi tuna, and bigeye tuna so one bag won't hurt Hank. I just mentioned cleanlabel project to point out that dogs shouldn't be on a fish diet long term.

awwwwwwwwwwwww, thank you for this too! I 'may' try to cool my jets and watch him for any ill effects. He does like it which is nice cause he's the more picky type. And it's only a part of his daily feeding. Still doing raw, and dehydrated raw as well each day so will see. Thanks, I value your opinions very much. And it's funny because I remember making the decision just last month to just continue giving the sardines (or I also cook him a slab of salmon or other fish) once every couple of weeks.... and then got a hair and did this.. oh boy!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] Idk the Wild Atlantic as I personally wouldn't buy it since we have the Canadian ones here. If you really want to give Acana on the fish side I would stick to Pacifica as I know my Canadian waters and not much on US waters. Cans of sardines, I always read where them little sardines are from. I dont buy any fish outside of Canada and in some places in the US. I know im a picky eater. I just like to know where my food n my dog's comes from.

I think everyone in the US would still be using the Canadian Acana IF we could get it as it is excellent, but we can't, mores the pity!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think everyone in the US would still be using the Canadian Acana IF we could get it as it is excellent, but we can't, mores the pity!

You are lucky in US-Lots of other good US dog foods like Fromm, Victor, Nutrience, Natures Variety, Zignature etc
In Canada there are fewer good choices- Acana, Orijen, Boreal, Go! , Horizon are the main ones. We have to pay hefty exchange to get US brands.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
You are lucky in US-Lots of other good US dog foods like Fromm, Victor, Nutrience, Natures Variety, Zignature etc
In Canada there are fewer good choices- Acana, Orijen, Boreal, Go! , Horizon are the main ones. We have to pay hefty exchange to get US brands.

Kinda made me laugh.. first yes, we do have good other choices but made me think of the ole .... “ grass is greener” saying... but anyway, from my memory, which of course is great, I think that the Kentucky Acana is still same great quality just has some different ingredients that don’t agree with certain dogs..

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.