Thread: Help! How do you offer water?

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Default Help! How do you offer water?

I realize this sounds like a ridiculous question but I actually cantí figure this out! Background, I have an older Golden mix that I just leave water out for all day and he goes and drinks throughout the day. Since rescuing little miss hot mess, I canít even leave the other dogs water out! If I put out a gallon, she drinks a gallon! Donít worry, I havenít ever put out that much Sheís always thirsty, or at least will drink water anytime itís offered but Iím concerned about her over drinking if that makes sense, because she will literally eat or drink until itís gone, not until sheís full (Different from my other dog who will walk away).

Being that sheís still a puppy, I donít want to cause extra accidents by over watering her as well.

Iíd love advice!!

2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Help! How do you offer water?

@Scatney I have not had this problem with a pup, but did with a horse foal that I was raising on a bottle. If I left a bucket of water in his stall, he would drink it all-and then some! I had to offer him water several times a day. Once he got older, then he was fine with it.
    How old is your pup? Has she been examined lately by your Vet? This could be sign of uterine infect.,uti,diabetes, or just a "greedy" pup! If she has not health problems, I would offer her a reasonable amount of water several times a day,and also for your golden-or put water for the golden,where the pup can not go.She should grow out of this water "fetish!" Hope this helps some!
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

4. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if there is something else going on that is causing her to be so thirsty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How old? Does she vomit at all after drinking?

----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Kayla
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chevy tank sparks
    Likes (Received)

I have a 6 month old puppy Chevy and he is the same way I just fill up his water bowl half way and let him drink it all but I offer him his water bowl only filled half full several yes a day but keep in mind Chevy's water bowl is not a giant bowl either its actually a med small sized metal bowl hope this helps

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    @Scatney I have not had this problem with a pup, but did with a horse foal that I was raising on a bottle. If I left a bucket of water in his stall, he would drink it all-and then some! I had to offer him water several times a day. Once he got older, then he was fine with it.
    How old is your pup? Has she been examined lately by your Vet? This could be sign of uterine infect.,uti,diabetes, or just a "greedy" pup! If she has not health problems, I would offer her a reasonable amount of water several times a day,and also for your golden-or put water for the golden,where the pup can not go.She should grow out of this water "fetish!" Hope this helps some!
    She is 5 months old and was at the vet just last week. She's healthy, just has no self control!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevysmom View Post
    I have a 6 month old puppy Chevy and he is the same way I just fill up his water bowl half way and let him drink it all but I offer him his water bowl only filled half full several yes a day but keep in mind Chevy's water bowl is not a giant bowl either its actually a med small sized metal bowl hope this helps
    That's kind of where we're at. Just a half a bowl a few times a day. The other day I caught her drinking out of the toilet - she nearly emptied the bowl!! Yuck!!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    How old? Does she vomit at all after drinking

She is 5 moths old. She's never vomitted after drinking. I don't let her just keep going and going or I imagine she would!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I wonder if there is something else going on that is causing her to be so thirsty.

I've wondered but then other bulldog owners say this is how they are. They don't self regulate food or water so then I figured it's normal. She's a puppy so has had several vet visits and is perfectly healthy.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Grace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Thanks! At least maybe it's just normal for her. She's healthy, just at the vet last week, although I am changing vets and checking out a new one this week. I'll mention it to him. She is an inhaler of all things edible/potable. Does not regulate at all. It's quite a pain to have to remember water for 2 seperate dogs all the time! I really hope she settles down!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I know my dogs are EATING machines! but normal with water.
    "
    ďIt came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

Duke was the same with water. Hes 8 months now and around 6-7pm no more water. Or I'll be getting up at 4am to put him out for a pee. I do remove the water a couple times a day.

Remove Ads