Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
I realize this sounds like a ridiculous question but I actually cantā€™ figure this out! Background, I have an older Golden mix that I just leave water out for all day and he goes and drinks throughout the day. Since rescuing little miss hot mess, I canā€™t even leave the other dogs water out! If I put out a gallon, she drinks a gallon! Donā€™t worry, I havenā€™t ever put out that much ;) Sheā€™s always thirsty, or at least will drink water anytime itā€™s offered but Iā€™m concerned about her over drinking if that makes sense, because she will literally eat or drink until itā€™s gone, not until sheā€™s full (Different from my other dog who will walk away).

Being that sheā€™s still a puppy, I donā€™t want to cause extra accidents by over watering her as well.

Iā€™d love advice!!:)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=17559]Scatney[/MENTION] I have not had this problem with a pup, but did with a horse foal that I was raising on a bottle. If I left a bucket of water in his stall, he would drink it all-and then some! I had to offer him water several times a day. Once he got older, then he was fine with it.
How old is your pup? Has she been examined lately by your Vet? This could be sign of uterine infect.,uti,diabetes, or just a "greedy" pup! If she has not health problems, I would offer her a reasonable amount of water several times a day,and also for your golden-or put water for the golden,where the pup can not go.She should grow out of this water "fetish!" Hope this helps some!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I wonder if there is something else going on that is causing her to be so thirsty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old? Does she vomit at all after drinking?

Chevysmom

Jun 3, 2017
Morehead ky
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy tank sparks
I have a 6 month old puppy Chevy and he is the same way I just fill up his water bowl half way and let him drink it all but I offer him his water bowl only filled half full several yes a day but keep in mind Chevy's water bowl is not a giant bowl either its actually a med small sized metal bowl hope this helps

OP
S

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
[MENTION=17559]Scatney[/MENTION] I have not had this problem with a pup, but did with a horse foal that I was raising on a bottle. If I left a bucket of water in his stall, he would drink it all-and then some! I had to offer him water several times a day. Once he got older, then he was fine with it.
How old is your pup? Has she been examined lately by your Vet? This could be sign of uterine infect.,uti,diabetes, or just a "greedy" pup! If she has not health problems, I would offer her a reasonable amount of water several times a day,and also for your golden-or put water for the golden,where the pup can not go.She should grow out of this water "fetish!" Hope this helps some!

She is 5 months old and was at the vet just last week. She's healthy, just has no self control!!

OP
S

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
I have a 6 month old puppy Chevy and he is the same way I just fill up his water bowl half way and let him drink it all but I offer him his water bowl only filled half full several yes a day but keep in mind Chevy's water bowl is not a giant bowl either its actually a med small sized metal bowl hope this helps

That's kind of where we're at. Just a half a bowl a few times a day. The other day I caught her drinking out of the toilet - she nearly emptied the bowl!! Yuck!!:bad::bad:

OP
S

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
How old? Does she vomit at all after drinking

She is 5 moths old. She's never vomitted after drinking. I don't let her just keep going and going or I imagine she would!

OP
S

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace
I wonder if there is something else going on that is causing her to be so thirsty.

I've wondered but then other bulldog owners say this is how they are. They don't self regulate food or water so then I figured it's normal. She's a puppy so has had several vet visits and is perfectly healthy.

OP
S

Scatney

Sep 3, 2017
Washington DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Grace

Thanks! At least maybe it's just normal for her. She's healthy, just at the vet last week, although I am changing vets and checking out a new one this week. I'll mention it to him. She is an inhaler of all things edible/potable. Does not regulate at all. It's quite a pain to have to remember water for 2 seperate dogs all the time! I really hope she settles down!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I know my dogs are EATING machines! but normal with water.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Duke was the same with water. Hes 8 months now and around 6-7pm no more water. Or I'll be getting up at 4am to put him out for a pee. I do remove the water a couple times a day.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.