Prescription Diet Alternatives

Rybri79

Apr 19, 2017
Encinitas, CA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronx
My boy Bronx had some recent battles with skin and ear infections, along with a UTI, so vet put him on a prescription diet - Hills Science Diet ZD. Bronx HATES it and does not want to eat it. Any ideas to either help Bronx eat this crap, or alternative foods that may be more appetizing to him?

Thanks,

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Your Vet is not a "Bulldog" Vet, IMO. If he/she were they would not have prescribed any food(much less a pricey Hill's RX) that one of the main ingredients is CORN! Corn, Wheat, and Soy are the top 3 ingredients to avoid with any dog food, especially when treating/feeding a skin problem patient. You may have to work at it a bit but Fromm, Merrick, Orijen, Acana, and Honest Kitchen are your go to labels. There are others...I mention those because they are more readily available. Call
Acana Customer Service 877-939-0006
Fromm CS 800-325-6331
Orijen CS 877-939-0006
etc.
...and tell them what's going on with your Bulldog and see what they recommend. Hopefully they can recommend something that your boy's stomach can tolerate without setting his skin afire.

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Ryan, sorry to hear Bronx is having problems. I agree with @oscarmayer and suggest taking Bronx to a vet who has experience with Bulldogs and the problems they commonly present. There is a thread on this board where members have posted vets who know how to treat Bulldogs, or you can just enter a search in the search box at the top right of this page. I found two vets that seem to be in your area and posted them below. Hope this helps! Susan

Veterinarian's Name: Gary Simpson
Clinic/Hospital Name: Spring Valley Vet Clinic
Clinic Street Adress: 9973 Campo Rd
Spring Valley, CA
Vet Telephone: 619-660-1114

Veterinarian's Name:
Christy Berg
Clinic/Hospital Name: Sunset Cliffs Animal Hospital
Clinic Street Adress: 4862 Santa Monica Ave
San Diego, CA 92107
Vet Telephone: 619-224-0773

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Your vet should analyze your dog's urine to see if it has any crystals in it and what the pH is. With any kind of bladder stones or UTI it's extremely important to get dog to drink alot .

If urine contains struvite crystals and alkaline pH (these are the type of bladder stones usually associated with UTIs) you feed your pet a low-carb,high protein, grain-free, potato-free, and preferably raw, dehydrated raw or at least canned food diet for the increased moisture content.
eg. Real Meat air dried beef ( only 27% carbs ), Stella and Chewys Simple venison ( only 13% carbs ), Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Market nuggets beef ( only 16% carbs ).
Honest Kitchen Embark has 41% carbs in comparison.
You need urine pH to be below 7, optimally between 6-6.5 which you can check with a pH meter once a week or more frequent that you dip into the urine. eg. https://www.amazon.com/HiTech-Digita...ustomerReviews , If pH is too high even after switching diets you can add Methioform, or Petmeth supplement.

If it's cystine crystals you would need to neuter him if he isn't already.
If it's oxalate stones you have opposite problem, urine is too acidic, so you need to give potassium citrate to alkalinize urine

You should also feed a good probiotic like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC.

It's also helpful to give d-mannose powder to prevent further E.Coli urinary tract infections.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] covered you n Miss [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION]. Ryan, just remember, all bags of dog food in vet's offices are for cows.

For ear infection and most knows this recipe works n heals!

Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infections. If ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My boy Bronx had some recent battles with skin and ear infections, along with a UTI, so vet put him on a prescription diet - Hills Science Diet ZD. Bronx HATES it and does not want to eat it. Any ideas to either help Bronx eat this crap, or alternative foods that may be more appetizing to him?

Thanks,

The gang sure has you covered... please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.