General Question Stairs bad for joints?

SiuMai

Sep 1, 2017
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
SiuMai
Good morning from Hong Kong and siu Mai is looking at the beautiful clear blue sky here in my garden.

Awesome to see her climb stairs to greet me at alarming pace. But am concerned about it. Is this good exercise for her bones n joints
c63b32e3f147e1cfb62f8f047b4f42e2.jpg
development? She is only 12 weeks old n we have 3 flights of stairs at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'll let someone else answer about the stairs but she is just beautiful... perfect :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Why would stairs be bad? Nothing wrong going up n down so long she doesn't slip n slide down. Nyala runs in n out and jumps a few stairs. Duke goes down slow but runs up as he's still young. And yes I do have rubber mats. All dogs like humans needs to take care of joints as it catches up when we age no matter what. Start introducing every other day turmeric n ginger in her meals. Slowly down the road, add it on regular basis.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
SiuMai

SiuMai

Sep 1, 2017
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
SiuMai
Why would stairs be bad? Nothing wrong going up n down so long she doesn't slip n slide down. Nyala runs in n out and jumps a few stairs. Duke goes down slow but runs up as he's still young. And yes I do have rubber mats. All dogs like humans needs to take care of joints as it catches up when we age no matter what. Start introducing every other day turmeric n ginger in her meals. Slowly down the road, add it on regular basis.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Turmeric n ginger ? Raw powder form?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We have three flights of stairs too and have carpet treads so Castor (or humans!) won't slip.

I have heard, though, that pups shouldn't walk stairs (something to do with the impact on undeveloped joints being too heavy, perhaps?) so when Castor was a pup and we lived in a flat on the third floor, we took the elevator or carried him up and down the stairs. We moved to our current house when Castor was 2, and here he runs up and down seemingly without problems.

OP
SiuMai

SiuMai

Sep 1, 2017
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
SiuMai
We have three flights of stairs too and have carpet treads so Castor (or humans!) won't slip.

I have heard, though, that pups shouldn't walk stairs (something to do with the impact on undeveloped joints being too heavy, perhaps?) so when Castor was a pup and we lived in a flat on the third floor, we took the elevator or carried him up and down the stairs. We moved to our current house when Castor was 2, and here he runs up and down seemingly without problems.

That's what I heard too that's the reason for being concerned

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That's what I heard too that's the reason for being concerned

I always restrict going down till they are 7 months old--- all the pounding COULD cause an issue with the bones,, not a chance I chose to take. Up isn't a problem.

With all ours we carried down and placed a gate to limit access bur once they hit the7 month mark-- all clear to do the steps

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Steps are considered not good for joints of young puppies of many breeds - as when puppy walks the stairs he uses his paws in unnatural way not intended by nature. It is especially true for breeds with heavy body and predisposition to joint problems, like bulldogs, sharpeis, mastiffs etc. In bulldogs hip and elbow joints are especially vulnerable as their legs are positioned not exactly UNDER the body, like in many dogs, but More ON THE SIDES of the body. That means, weight is not really supported by legs, and joint is under extreme duress. So, general recommendation is to restrict stairs usage by bullies.
I was carrying my bulldog both up and down till 8 months old, as we stayed in apartment at that time.

OP
SiuMai

SiuMai

Sep 1, 2017
Country
Hong Kong
Bulldog(s) Names
SiuMai
Really appreciate the advice. Many thanks. She is pretty daring n she just threw herself down from our sofa which is almost 1 meter tall. Will watch her closely n stop her as much as possible with all this climbing n jumping .... worried

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
From what I have heard, going up the stairs isn't bad but a puppy that young shouldn't go down until they are past 6 months old.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We have stairs for the couch 2 steps and stairs for the bed 3 steps .
Tilly had elbow issues as a pup that they had to operate on twice , they think it was due to her jumping off things or up on things so I got the stairs , i lift all My Bulldogs into and out of the vehicles now also.
Both our bulldogs use them all the time they do zero jumping now and I have never had issues with there joints since . You can get them cheap on Amazon

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
We have stairs for the couch 2 steps and stairs for the bed 3 steps .
Tilly had elbow issues as a pup that they had to operate on twice , they think it was due to her jumping off things or up on things so I got the stairs , i lift all My Bulldogs into and out of the vehicles now also.
Both our bulldogs use them all the time they do zero jumping now and I have never had issues with there joints since . You can get them cheap on Amazon

can you show a good one to get?? I imagine that it has to do with what your heights and stuff are but................ I have a great flip open one for hank getting in and out of car. work great for that but bed or couch nope

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.