Help! Recommendations on dry food for weight loss!

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
I have a 4 year old English named Sampson, he was originally on Hills Ideal Balance Slim & Healthy dry food until it got discontinued then I made the switch to Hills Chicken & Brown Rice. At the vet today we noticed his weight is now at 60 pounds!! The highest it has ever been, at one point he was trim and healthy and 45 pounds. He gets exercise and is always playing with his soccer ball outside and I don't overfeed him. I need some reccomendations on a food that could possibly be low calorie but also be conscious of his sensitive stomach, allergies and poops!! :cool:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a 4 year old English named Sampson, he was originally on Hills Ideal Balance Slim & Healthy dry food until it got discontinued then I made the switch to Hills Chicken & Brown Rice. At the vet today we noticed his weight is now at 60 pounds!! The highest it has ever been, at one point he was trim and healthy and 45 pounds. He gets exercise and is always playing with his soccer ball outside and I don't overfeed him. I need some reccomendations on a food that could possibly be low calorie but also be conscious of his sensitive stomach, allergies and poops!! :cool:

Stay away from Hills, RC, Wellness, purina and all that grain horrible kibbles.

Stick to orijen, acana or fromm if its only kibbles you want.... that's all you need!! Keep these 3 threads n read. You'll understand more on food n maintenance.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ood-and-nutrition/52825-dog-food-ratings.html

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hills is not good quality. Why not try Honest Kitchen grain free dehydrated raw dog food? Raw and therefore better for allergies, and 10% fiber, so will help fill him. You can also try cutting down portions a bit with whatever food you end up with and supplementing with steamed green beans to fill him.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Also .... on the Honest Kitchen, I think the 'only' complaint I've ever heard was that..."their dog lost weight on it" ... so there ya go ;)

OP
SampsonsMumma

SampsonsMumma

Apr 21, 2017
New Hampshire
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sampson
Thank you for the reccomendations! I called my local vet that Sampson goes to and for some reason they "only" recommend Purina Pro Plan, Hills Science Diet & something else that I've heard bad reviews on. Has anyone had any expierence with Wellness Core. They have a food that is low fat and grain free that seems to have very good reviews.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Wellness has had a lot of recalls so I would stay away from that. Have you looked into Fromm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you for the reccomendations! I called my local vet that Sampson goes to and for some reason they "only" recommend Purina Pro Plan, Hills Science Diet & something else that I've heard bad reviews on. Has anyone had any expierence with Wellness Core. They have a food that is low fat and grain free that seems to have very good reviews.

Vets get a % on them brands. Why it's pushed by some. Any vet that pushes on them brands, I personally would change vets.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Vets get a kickback on the dog food they sell! I got Monty's weight down by cutting back on portion size. He weighed 72 lbs when I got him and now fluctuates between 66 and 68 lbs and has a very nice waist. I feed a high-quality food. He gets 3/4 cup kibble twice a day topped with frozen green beans. He is a low energy dog though. I strongly recommend a good food and portion control. Good luck!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... no Hills or Purina.

As [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] suggested ... cut back food add green beans as a filler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.