Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about my bullie not eating....

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about my bullie not eating....

What an uncommon problem for a bulldog! I am so sorry you are going through this, it must be so hard.

The one thing that crosses my mind is how many times a day are you offering your baby food? Also, how much time are you able to spend with your puppy?

Since the vet gave your bully a clean bill of health, it sounds like something behavioral that could turn into something physical because she needs her vittles to get big and strong. I'm wondering if you should try only offering her food ONE time per day. If she does not eat, she doesn't get food until the next day - creating a demand for her food, knowing it won't be around whenever she feels like eating.

The reason I ask about how much time you spend with her is that her refusal to eat is getting her a LOT of attention. And bulldogs love one thing as much as food: attention. Perhaps try to go out of your way to spend quality time focused on your bully that has NOTHING to do with getting her to eat?

I do not have experience with this situation so these are just suggestions based on what I do know and have experienced. I can tell you from my experience with my third bulldog Truman: never, ever underestimate how stubborn they can be to get what they want! I also agree with the other posters: I know it's hard but no apples, no tuna, no nothing. Dog food or nothing.

Also, just out of curiosity, is your bully having bowel movement? How are they?

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Whoops.
    Last edited by sheshistory; 03-24-2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Double post!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

I had assumed your other dogs were adult dogs...I've read where you have to watch litter mate puppies...if they are not sold and reach a certain age they can "rule" over another pup. I wonder where your feeding this pup verses the rest. Maybe try feeding her while shes in her crate. So she's not feeling over whelmed by the other pups in the house...my you've got your hands full with that many being house trained...good luck with that. But I also ask...to watch their playing...if she is the youngest...maybe she's feeling "bullied". More so than the rest...I know the books I have read...state that breeders must watch closely on left over litter mates. And it makes me wonder if she's feeling any of those issues.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tilly, Bud and Kami
    Likes (Received)

None of my puppies are litter mates. I purchased each one of them. I am not a breeder. I just love English Bulldogs.

Just to update I didn't feed her last night I offered food she didn't eat so I let it go. This morning I put her food down and she eat some of it but was more like picking at it. I take each one of my babies for walks alone and spend 101 time with them all so they don't feel forgotten. My babies are my everything. They are never alone at all. If they can't go I send send someone else to do whatever I need to do for me. All three are spoiled. (worse than my kids are) LOL I will continue to keep you updated. and thank you for your advise. I hope it all works.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

No help here, you have surely gotten great advice already. I just hope the poor thing starts eating soon. Oh and yes we need pics please.

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

@Dana Mayhall
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Mayhall View Post
    None of my puppies are litter mates. I purchased each one of them. I am not a breeder. I just love English Bulldogs.

Just to update I didn't feed her last night I offered food she didn't eat so I let it go. This morning I put her food down and she eat some of it but was more like picking at it. I take each one of my babies for walks alone and spend 101 time with them all so they don't feel forgotten. My babies are my everything. They are never alone at all. If they can't go I send send someone else to do whatever I need to do for me. All three are spoiled. (worse than my kids are) LOL I will continue to keep you updated. and thank you for your advise. I hope it all works.
    I knew they weren't litter mates to have the age differences...And my comment wasn't directed as if you play with them individually. Let me go pull my book about what it says about litter mates. I would think since all yours are still puppies it would still apply due to they are not mature dogs. Even though they aren't litter mates. Something you may want to watch for. .
    In my book it states breeders in my book states pups should be separated. So they don't identify dogs as their pecking order pack leader. By 10-12 weeks of age. This should happen...between 6-8 mths dominance issues can become established....

I'm not saying that your pups are liter mates or that you must keep them separated...but...that you should watch their interaction. See if the younger one isn't being double tagged so to speak by the other two. This can cause stress and cause a pup to not want to eat as well. I would also feed the youngest away from the others...until she's eating more readily. She may be afraid to eat...with the other dogs around. I would offer her food to her while she's in the comfort of her own crate...safe in her den if you will...

And did you try soaking the kibble a bit? You mentioned she ate a bit...after skipping her evening meal.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tilly, Bud and Kami
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to give a quick update on Kami... She is doing great now. She is eating good, well sometimes I have to hand feed her as I think she is just too lazy to eat from her bowl. I don't mind that cause I am glad I am not having to force feed her anymore. She has gained 2 pounds already....=) So thank you all for your advise!!!!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Mayhall View Post
    Just wanted to give a quick update on Kami... She is doing great now. She is eating good, well sometimes I have to hand feed her as I think she is just too lazy to eat from her bowl. I don't mind that cause I am glad I am not having to force feed her anymore. She has gained 2 pounds already....=) So thank you all for your advise!!!!
    YAY So happy to hear it!!!!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike & Sparkles
    Likes (Received)

Yea so happy to hear that. Please post pics. I wanna see all three babies!!!!
    <3 Crystal Alonso
    Proud Mom of Spike & Sparkles

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tilly, Bud and Kami
    Likes (Received)

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tilly, Bud and Kami
    Likes (Received)

This Bud

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -uploadfromtaptalk1302108140208-jpg  

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tilly, Bud and Kami
    Likes (Received)

This is Kami

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -uploadfromtaptalk1302108186174-jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads