Taylor James

Aug 6, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tator
Hello everyone,
Tator and I are new to this forum. About 4 or 5 days ago, Tator got an ear infection. He is now on surolan drops twice a day. He has also decided to stop eating his dry food. Up until this, he had no problem with this food. Some days it was hard to get him to eat, but he always did. Typical stubbornness. I even tried putting a little treat in it to entice him a bit, but it didn't work.
Has anybody else had this? I've heard it's possible the bag of food is "sour".

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
But for the rest his overall condition and activity is good? May be he doesn't feel really well? Ear infection can be very sore.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I was in a similar situation with my dog. The ear infection can be from food allergies or environmental allergies or from swimming. If you are using Surolan the ears have to be cleaned first for the drops to penetrate, which my vet never told me. eg. with ProOtic from vet. So after the week of treatment the infection was no better. I put my dog on Zymox otic drops for a couple of weeks then maintained her with weekly drops. Lately her environmental allergies have been bad so she's been having really having itchy ears despite having no discharge. I was using an essential oil mixture of 5 drops oil of cloves and 5 drops tea tree oil in 2 oz. witch hazel after the Zymox ran out to clean the wax out, but lately she's been scratching her ears so I've been spraying some Betadine undiluted into them to soothe them. Some of the members are spraying in a mixture of 50% apple cider vinegar and 50% witch hazel to maintain the ears or for ear infections, so that might be a good option to try as well.

If your dog is on a dog food with grains or chicken, it's very likely there's a food allergy involved, so that's worth a switch in dog food as well.

Hello everyone,
Tator and I are new to this forum. About 4 or 5 days ago, Tator got an ear infection. He is now on surolan drops twice a day. He has also decided to stop eating his dry food. Up until this, he had no problem with this food. Some days it was hard to get him to eat, but he always did. Typical stubbornness. I even tried putting a little treat in it to entice him a bit, but it didn't work.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone,
I was given Surolan for Nyala's tail pocket a year ago. My vet is more in the holistic side and said to put the Surolan every other day as its very addictive. That's when i did my own essential oil mix. Never had an infection to this day. But I do need to clean her tail every 2 days. For the food issue, have you tried giving something raw see if he eats? Or maybe something else thats soft and do t need to crunch?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
T

Taylor James

Aug 6, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tator
Hello, thank you guys for your replies.
He's been on natures balance limited ingredient diet food, sweet potato and venison. I tried the sweet potato and bison thinking he was bored of the venison. He will eat if I hand feed him but will not eat from his bowl. He approaches his bowl like he's scared of it. I remember last week while he was eating something spooked him. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I watched him this morning sneak around his bowl and then eat from my hand.
I'm hoping once his ear feels better he will get over whatever it was that spooked him.
I am cleaning his ear prior to putting in surolan drops. It's a cleansing solution from the vet. Thank you again for all your insightful tips and advice. I will certainly try some of the home remedies.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The food should be ok. Maybe he's got some environmental allergies contributing to the ear infection? Does he scratch himself or lick paws regularly?

He's been on natures balance limited ingredient diet food, sweet potato and venison. I tried the sweet potato and bison thinking he was bored of the venison. He will eat if I hand feed him but will not eat from his bowl. He approaches his bowl like he's scared of it. I remember last week while he was eating something spooked him. I didn't put 2 & 2 together until I watched him this morning sneak around his bowl and then eat from my hand.
I'm hoping once his ear feels better he will get over whatever it was that spooked him.
I am cleaning his ear prior to putting in surolan drops. It's a cleansing solution from the vet. Thank you again for all your insightful tips and advice. I will certainly try some of the home remedies.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Maybe he is not feeling well from his ear infection. Can you try a different bowl to see if that makes a difference?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Maybe he is not feeling well from his ear infection. Can you try a different bowl to see if that makes a difference?

and a different area.... These guys are soooooooooooooo weird about stuff, but I was going to say different bowl, different area as well...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
and a different area.... These guys are soooooooooooooo weird about stuff, but I was going to say different bowl, different area as well...

Great idea!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

You tried feeding him in another area since he got spooked where his bowl is? Natures balance is NOT a good kibble! Is he on a diet? You're in Canada, why not get Acana?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Yes, feeding in a different bowl and area is a good idea. My doxie gets these weird ideas in his head sometimes. Last week he refused to go out the back door in the normal way, he had to squeeze to the side and jump over the thresh-hold. He did that for 3 days, then back to normal. Sometimes he will not walk on the grass and if we pick him up and put him on it, he will stand there like a statue. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Idiot dog!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, feeding in a different bowl and area is a good idea. My doxie gets these weird ideas in his head sometimes. Last week he refused to go out the back door in the normal way, he had to squeeze to the side and jump over the thresh-hold. He did that for 3 days, then back to normal. Sometimes he will not walk on the grass and if we pick him up and put him on it, he will stand there like a statue. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Idiot dog!!!

No need to buy them statue at Lowes! You got one! And it's FREE!!! Lolll

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.