Are Bully Sticks Safe?

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Josie's trainer gave her a bully stick and highly recommends them as a special treat for dogs. Josie really liked it and I held on for dear life to the one end of it terrified she might try and swallow it. I took it away altogether when it got all pulpy and slimy with only a short hard end left.

Are bully sticks safe for EBs?

Terry

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Josie's trainer gave her a bully stick and highly recommends them as a special treat for dogs. Josie really liked it and I held on for dear life to the one end of it terrified she might try and swallow it. I took it away altogether when it got all pulpy and slimy with only a short hard end left.

Terry

Bully Sticks are 100%*Beef Sticks Dog Treats*and*dog chews*that are made from the pizzle or penis of the bull. Pizzles historically have been used for different purposes from walking canes to medicinal powders.

Doesn't tell you exactly what the "dog chew" section is made out of. I personally would not give my dogs anything that is not stated, explained properly and especially where it comes from. But that's me. It would be a no go for me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Terry

No... i hate those things--- smell horrible and can be a choking hazard. I would not use them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
That's kind of what I thought. Good for other dogs MAYBE but not for EBs or Pugs. Sooooo what do you all use as a special chew treat for your babies?

I have always used Nylabones, my Pugs adore them, Josie hates them and won't touch them and acts like I am trying to poison her if I hold one end so she can chew the other.

I need something else to try that is safe and has a good track record for EBs yumminess and safety.

T

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
That's kind of what I thought. Good for other dogs MAYBE but not for EBs or Pugs. Sooooo what do you all use as a special chew treat for your babies?

I have always used Nylabones, my Pugs adore them, Josie hates them and won't touch them and acts like I am trying to poison her if I hold one end so she can chew the other.

I need something else to try that is safe and has a good track record for EBs yumminess and safety.

T

Raw marrow bones! Best treat on the planet. Or frozen raw chicken necks

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Like others have said Bully Sticks are not good for them and can cause chocking. Also Raw hides and pig ears are not good either.

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
Okay a little more info....

The chew treat has to be able to go on the furniture. We are training Josie to lay quietly along my husbands hip in his chair. He is disabled but would like to snuggle, hold and pet her. The trainer is working with commands to get Josie to assist him in getting her on and off his lap as well as to settle down and quietly spend time there. She was using the bully stick to do that, with me holding one end. Then we had my husband do the same thing when Josie started understanding what it meant and it seems to do the trick. We both looked at how the bully stick disintegrated and know about the dangers of choking with bullies as it's the same for Pugs and decided to ask here if they are safe. Since they are not I need something else in place of the bully stick to do this. I've been researching here and elsewhere.

I read something about antlers? But have never come across them before so am unsure if they are safe, if I need to get a special kind, where to get them, what to watch for etc. any pointers anyone?

Terry

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
From my experience all chewing things that come from pet shops - sticks, ears, penises etc etc are a choking hazard. It also can cause intestinal obstructions - my Tank vomited out whole freaking thing. Bulldogs don't chew, anything that is smaller than bulldog, they will try to swallow. Chicken necks are also very swallowable, due to size, and it is Russian roulette, I lost my previous dog due to chicken necks, and he chewed well, but still sharp piece of chicken neck perforated his intestine and he died of slow peritonitis. Very little symptoms he had. So I never ever will give chicken bones to my dog.
So, the only safe options in my opinion are 1) big marrow beef bone 2) big antler. Antler is perfectly admissible on furniture - they can gnaw on antler, and don't mess, as they can only scratch little bit of powder from it.
For antler, I can see you stay n Georgia, are you close to Atlanta? I know where to buy them in Atlanta, in Midtown. You can also buy them in Petsmart and online.

Ranger777

Jan 23, 2017
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ranger

Terry
[MENTION=17037]Pugaboo[/MENTION] My Ranger just turned 1 in July and he's always used these to teeth/chew on. He loves them.
5aaa9a83b562901662465946509b426b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
P

Pugaboo

Apr 6, 2017
Georgia
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Josephine
We will try an antler and the Bullibone next.

Lalaloppsie - it takes me several hours to get to Atlanta from here and difficult time in car for the hubby. I will look online to order whole, not split, moose, not deer, antlers.

Ranger777 - thank you I had not heard of those and we will get one to test out.

Thank you everyone!

Terry

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I've gotten whole antlers from Chewy.com and Drs Foster and Smith online. The stand up to hours of vigorous chewing with out the smelly mess.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

The chew treat has to be able to go on the furniture. We are training Josie to lay quietly along my husbands hip in his chair. He is disabled but would like to snuggle, hold and pet her. The trainer is working with commands to get Josie to assist him in getting her on and off his lap as well as to settle down and quietly spend time there. She was using the bully stick to do that, with me holding one end. Then we had my husband do the same thing when Josie started understanding what it meant and it seems to do the trick. We both looked at how the bully stick disintegrated and know about the dangers of choking with bullies as it's the same for Pugs and decided to ask here if they are safe. Since they are not I need something else in place of the bully stick to do this. I've been researching here and elsewhere.

I read something about antlers? But have never come across them before so am unsure if they are safe, if I need to get a special kind, where to get them, what to watch for etc. any pointers anyone?

Terry

Acadia antlers.... i but moose paddles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B770QE

Feb 7, 2016
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus

Terry

I buy large Elk antlers for my boy. I order on Amazon from Buck Bone Organics. He loves the antler and it's never made a mess.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.