Recommendation for no grain food that doesn't cause soft stools.

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
Our EB came from the breeder with Royal Canin which i promptly switched to no grain, first to Orijen. Never once had a firm stool even after a gradual change and 2 months. Gradually switched to Fromm's, maybe a little better but not much. Then she got very bad diarrhea once while we were away on vacation and a local vet put her on Royal Canin special digestive or whatever it's called, not available at retail other than vet. Her poops are nice and firm on this but I hate the idea of loading her up on crappy grains.

Any suggestions for a milder, no grain food that produces firm stools?

Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Which Fromm are you feeding and how much at each meal? How old is your baby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Steve Armstrong

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
Sorry, should have said, she's turning 7 months in a few days, last Fromm's was Gold Puppy formula, 1 cup twice a day, she's been on the RC special form the Vet for a month. And bad tear stains now, but stools are solid.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You should get your puppy's stools checked for worms or other parasites just in case. Switch to a limited ingredient dog food such as something from the Acana singles line or Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Dry or one of these others from dogfoodadvisor https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/hypoallergenic-dog-foods/

You can try adding canned pumpkin (not the one for cakes ) to firm up your dog's stools, about a tablespoon a day. Some people have recommended food grade diatomaceous earth as well, but that's not as popular.

OP
Steve Armstrong

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
Oops, another thing I forgot, she's had pumpkin and loves it but hasn't helped. And the stools have been checked for parasites, all clean. Stools are fine now on RC.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Our EB came from the breeder with Royal Canin which i promptly switched to no grain, first to Orijen. Never once had a firm stool even after a gradual change and 2 months. Gradually switched to Fromm's, maybe a little better but not much. Then she got very bad diarrhea once while we were away on vacation and a local vet put her on Royal Canin special digestive or whatever it's called, not available at retail other than vet. Her poops are nice and firm on this but I hate the idea of loading her up on crappy grains.

Any suggestions for a milder, no grain food that produces firm stools?

Thanks.

Orijen is a great kibble if not the best. But.....very rich n high in calories. Not for all dogs. Are you using the puppy orijen or adult? How old is your dog so we get an idea of how long she's been eating RC?? Takes a while for a pup on RC to have normal stools after a transition to no grains. You give probiotics? What are her snack? I had same issue with Duke. I had to get him off puppy Acana n back on adult with raw. His stools are ok now. But as soon as he eats fresh veggies as he steals my zucchinis in my garden, he gets diarrhea.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry, should have said, she's turning 7 months in a few days, last Fromm's was Gold Puppy formula, 1 cup twice a day, she's been on the RC special form the Vet for a month. And bad tear stains now, but stools are solid.

I would switch her to Fromm adult food... the puppy may be too rich for her and with Fromm you can just go right to another flavor. At 7 months she is good to go adult, just stay with 4 star grain free... and see if that helps her

OP
Steve Armstrong

Steve Armstrong

Feb 23, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hyacinth Bouquet
Thanks for the replies, any particular preferred protein for adult Fromm for example chicken vs lamb vs ?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
just a quick response .... pork and peas seem to be a favorite... I think *not pork and applesauce* but I don't remember why..

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the replies, any particular preferred protein for adult Fromm for example chicken vs lamb vs ?

Pork and peas works best for my guys, but you may have to try a few to find the right one for your baby

Members online

No members online now.