Jaystekan

Jul 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
So, we rescued a 4 year old Bulldog today. We are not sure how long she was a shelter dog for, and she recently had a litter of puppies, although we are not sure when. The shelter was feeding her Science Diet Adult Advanced Fitness dog food. We want to switch her to a better quality food, we are still researching foods, but leaning towards Earthborn Holistic Primitive, with a twice a day feeding schedule.

This is our first Bulldog, so we have a few questions. First, when switching foods, would it be better to simply stop the Science Diet and go right to a new food, or should we do this gradually? Do you suggest just kibble, or kibble and canned together? Are joint supplements useful or is it all marketing hype? How much each serving at 2 servings a day would you suggest? We want to do our best to keep her healthy, but unfortunately, we don't know her nutrition history.

Thanks for your help.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So, we rescued a 4 year old Bulldog today. We are not sure how long she was a shelter dog for, and she recently had a litter of puppies, although we are not sure when. The shelter was feeding her Science Diet Adult Advanced Fitness dog food. We want to switch her to a better quality food, we are still researching foods, but leaning towards Earthborn Holistic Primitive, with a twice a day feeding schedule.

This is our first Bulldog, so we have a few questions. First, when switching foods, would it be better to simply stop the Science Diet and go right to a new food, or should we do this gradually? Do you suggest just kibble, or kibble and canned together? Are joint supplements useful or is it all marketing hype? How much each serving at 2 servings a day would you suggest? We want to do our best to keep her healthy, but unfortunately, we don't know her nutrition history.

Thanks for your help.

Definitely do not do a hard switch. Make it gradual, use her existing food and slowly day by day start mixing in the new. I would span it out about a week or so. You can add some canned pumpkin as well to make the switch even easier on her belly. Just plain ol' canned pumpkin, you can add a teaspoon or two.

Earthborn is a great food, some other good ones are Fromm, Acana, Orijen. Twice a day is perfect (breakfast & dinner) -- What is her current weight?? I would say that 1 cup twice a day is good unless she's underweight and needs to put on a few pounds.

Joint supplements are totally worth it, I would start her on them now since she's young. It will help greatly with preventing arthritis and such in the future! I would also put her on a good probiotic.

OP
J

Jaystekan

Jul 13, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda
Pumpkin, interesting. So joint supplements do help, thanks for that, we will get some. We have her old food out, but she has yet to eat anything since comping home yesterday afternoon, its a new home, new family, Shes active, so we are not worried, we are just leaving her old food on the floor, in her eating area, so she can get used to it and eat whenever she wants. Once she actually starts eating, we can start her on a 2 a day schedule. I ordered some Earthform Primitive on Amazon, should be here Saturday, so we will start the gradual switch then. I will be sure to also pick up some canned pumpkin. Her shelter intake weight was 54lbs, today she weighs 45lbs. I hadn't thought about any probiotics though. I guess we will get some of those too. Thanks for the great info.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's cheaper to give an equine glucosamine supplement. I give Actiflex-4000 since it's quite inexpensive, I like this one since it has glucosamine and hyaluronic acid and bioperine. I also give my dog turmeric and bioperine improves turmeric absorption. This is where I bought it, but it's widely available.
Acti-Flex 4000 in Joint Supplements at Schneider Saddlery

Pumpkin, interesting. So joint supplements do help, thanks for that, we will get some. We have her old food out, but she has yet to eat anything since comping home yesterday afternoon, its a new home, new family, Shes active, so we are not worried, we are just leaving her old food on the floor, in her eating area, so she can get used to it and eat whenever she wants. Once she actually starts eating, we can start her on a 2 a day schedule. I ordered some Earthform Primitive on Amazon, should be here Saturday, so we will start the gradual switch then. I will be sure to also pick up some canned pumpkin. Her shelter intake weight was 54lbs, today she weighs 45lbs. I hadn't thought about any probiotics though. I guess we will get some of those too. Thanks for the great info.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks for your help.

:welcome3: to EBN... thank you for giving your girl a great new home!!

Agree with the others slow switch or 7-10 days... joint supplements and probiotics

Now let's see some pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It's cheaper to give an equine glucosamine supplement. I give Actiflex-4000 since it's quite inexpensive, I like this one since it has glucosamine and hyaluronic acid and bioperine. I also give my dog turmeric and bioperine improves turmeric absorption. This is where I bought it, but it's widely available.
Acti-Flex 4000 in Joint Supplements at Schneider Saddlery

well well,,, this looks GREAT and I'm going to take it as well... something 'we' can share... Him in his me in mine ;)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yes, great idea if you have arthritis (I saw other people on their reviews said they used themselves ) plus make sure you take some turmeric powder at same time !!! The bioperine will make the turmeric get absorbed.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Yes, great idea if you have arthritis (I saw other people on their reviews said they used themselves ) plus make sure you take some turmeric powder at same time !!! The bioperine will make the turmeric get absorbed.
aww yep, read some reviews too so looken good to me! I do take turmeric (and with pepper) but is this even better like that? And, would this mean I could just give hank this and turmeric and not have to add pepper??

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
aww yep, read some reviews too so looken good to me! I do take turmeric (and with pepper) but is this even better like that? And, would this mean I could just give hank this and turmeric and not have to add pepper??

A little off subject as this has nothing to do with dogs but speaking of turmeric, look up Golden Milk. I might have to try it. It looks and sounds yummy.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
A little off subject as this has nothing to do with dogs but speaking of turmeric, look up Golden Milk. I might have to try it. It looks and sounds yummy.

oh lordy!!! I make it many many evenings!!!! you get a real taste for it and leads to very cozy sleep :) I do use regular milk most of the time but have used either.. and I also use my mild honey (or a good REAL maple syrup) instead of I think they use a different sweetener but Honey at night is good for your bladder (I think I remember that right )

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
oh lordy!!! I make it many many evenings!!!! you get a real taste for it and leads to very cozy sleep :) I do use regular milk most of the time but have used either.. and I also use my mild honey (or a good REAL maple syrup) instead of I think they use a different sweetener but Honey at night is good for your bladder (I think I remember that right )

I need to try it! I might have everything already except the cardamom so I'll have to wait until next time I go to the store.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I need to try it! I might have everything already except the cardamom so I'll have to wait until next time I go to the store.

I do love cardamom but I usually make it with out. Not sure of the recipe I'll have to look at that one again but I always add either fresh or even powdered ginger. Gives it a nice bite

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Yes, you wouldn't need pepper if you give the bioperine.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.