General Question The Honest Kitchen- Questions

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Good Morning Everyone! I've got some questions about The Honest Kitchen, and would love to hear about any experiences that any of you have had with it....

Right now we use Earthborn Holistic- Great Plains for Effie & Josie. While we've never had any real issues with the food, I've been contemplating switching them to THK. I've read so many wonderful things about feeding raw, and I think that THK would give me the ability to provide my girls a much better diet. I wouldn't even know how to begin feeding raw, nor do I really have the time to devote to cooking (I barely cook dinner for myself & the husband anymore LOL).

So my first question is this..how long would a 10lb box actually last me (days)? The box says that once hydrated it makes 40lbs of food. Effie & Josie both get 1 cup in the am, and 1 cup in the pm. So that's 4 cups of food per day. The feeding instructions for THK say 1-2 cups/day. Is that of the dry mix? If that's the case, then the 10lb box would only last me about 10 days. At that price point, it might be a little too pricey for me right now. The box also says it should last 40-20 days, so I'm guessing between 2 dogs, 10 days is about right. Math is not my strongest subject, so if someone with more experience can chime in I'd really appreciate it!

Also, if you do feed THK, how much do you feed your bully daily? I'd love to hear some suggestions. Right now I get the 28lb bag of Earthborn Holistic, and it generally lasts me about 4 weeks. (Again, with the math, I can't figure out how 28lbs of Earthborn lasts 4 weeks, but 40lbs of THK would only last me 10 days....:help: LOL

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I used THK and loved it. I used the one with the duck protien in it as Brutus is very allergic to everything. I had two of my bulldogs on it and it lasted about 3wks. It can get pricey, the duck one was around $110. It is worth it though as Brutus has no ear infections while on it. I did eventually take him off because he was losing weight on it. I panicked when he slimmed down to 47 pounds. That was way to skinny for him. He is now on Fromm Hasen Duckenpfeffer and he is doing great.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey there ---- going to tag some users of THK.

I am currently using it as Cheli had his tonsils removed and needs to be on soft food till healed. I give Cheli 1 cup a day and Lambeau gets one. I am using the Preference bas with ground turkey or beef added, the boys LOVE it and so far I'm guessing the box will last about a month however, we do still give Lambeau kibble at dinner and Cheli gets THK for both meals right now

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am about to start transitioning Louie over to it for at least one meal a day. He is still a puppy so still gets 3 meals a day so he will get kibble in the morning and maybe lunch and then THK for dinner, maybe lunch here and there. The reason I am still going to give kibble in the morning is because of the cost. It is not cheap. So feeding 4 cups a day may only give you 10 days worth. That will definitely add up. It may be cheaper if you get the kind that you mix in the protein, but you said you may not have time for that. You might be able to save a little money if you fed kibble for one meal and then THK for the second meal.

And if you go to THK website and sign up for their newsletter, you'll get a $5 off coupon and then they'll send other offers and stuff via email. Not sure if that will help that much with cost though.

OP
betterxthanxnew

betterxthanxnew

Apr 21, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA.
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Effie (EB), Oliver (FB) & Annabel (FB)
Well, truthfully Effie could stand to lose a few pounds. She weighed in at 67lbs her last vet appointment. Josie was scrawny when we got her back in Feb. (long story that some may be familiar with- but she was basically re-homed to us). Josie has gained some weight, and is sitting at 51lbs right now, which we think is just perfect for her.

I was looking at purchasing THK- Keen, which already has Turkey in it. So let me ask it this way...when you make the food, do you take 1 cup of the dehydrated food & then add water (twice a day?), because that would make well over an actual cup of food, would it not? I'm probably over thinking this. I guess when I first started researching I was thinking that you wouldn't actually use an entire cup of the dehydrated food, because once it hydrates it will be too much. But perhaps it's supposed to be that way. The way the box reads I'm thinking that is the case. If the box is really only going to last me 10 days, I will probably need to pass for now, unless a situation arose where raw became necessary. I just want to make sure they're getting the best meal they can, while still being able to afford the roof over their heads LOL :laugh:

They really aren't having any issues on Earthborn, and I know with bullies it's probably safer to not poke the bear LOL. They both tolerate the food well, and have regular normal bowel movements. I will say that Josie has BAD gas. We use lifted bowls, and we add a little nonfat plain greek yogurt to their dinner, but it hasn't helped. She also eats REALLY fast, so that probably has something to do with the gas. Effie takes her dear sweet time lol. Before we got Josie she was being kept outside & we aren't entirely sure what her life was like (she clearly wasn't receiving any sort of consistency or training). We may just need to get a slow feeder bowl for her...but then part of me also wonders if it's because the protein percentage is awfully high in the Earthborn (like 34%)- is that too high? (Effie is 2.5yrs, and Josie will be 2 in Oct).

Anyway, thanks for the input!!

girls.jpg girls2.jpg girls3.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
They are cuties!

That is a good question about the 1 cup becoming more than 1 cup. I can't answer that as I haven't started feeding it yet. But hopefully other people that use it can chime in as I am curious as well.

You can try adding a probiotic to Josie's meals as that might help with the gas. A slow feeder bowl might help as well. But if they are doing well on the Earthborn and there are no issues, some would say...if it aint' broke, why fix it?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
we use the hk and yes, it is one cup dry that they speak of.so it's real possible that your calculations are correct. . We make it once a day using the two cups (well 2 1/2 for Hank) and adding the wtr and then splitting it up between the two meals. Best made the night before as it plumps up real well that way. Oddly, I cannot tell you how long a box lasts as I go between too many foods each month.. as in, i'll use preference with homemade turkey one day, Kindly with turkey or homemade beef the next, mabie the marvel (which is the one with turkey in it) the next , and EasyRaw the next, and have actually started using Orijen Original kibble or the duck another day and so the story goes :) sooooooooooo, It may be something you could keep your kibble, but like mentioned, use the hk for the evening meal.. Just make a double batch at a time and makes it real easy..

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ingredients are pretty similar for Spot Farms and Only Natural Easy Raw and Honest Kitchen so you might be able to save some money if you try one of those instead of Honest Kitchen, you'll have to compare.

Spot Farms Turkey
Dehydrated Turkey, Dried Potatoes, Red Lentil, Flax Seed, Dried Carrots, Dried Apples, Dried Spinach, Dried Cranberries, Dried Sweet Potatoes, Dried Parsley, Natural Flavors, Vitamins & Minerals (Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Selenium Yeast, Copper Proteinate, DL-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Ascorbic Acid, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Calcium D-Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Cholecalciferol, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Potassium Iodide, Cyanocobalamin).

Only Natural Easy Raw Beef
Beef, Sweet Potato, Carrots, Whole Egg, Broccoli, Cranberries, Celery, Yellow Split Pea, Flax Seeds, Apples, Almond Bran, Tricalcium Phosphate, Alfalfa, Basil, Dried Kelp, Ginger Root, Spinach, Vitamin A Palmitate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Reduced Iron, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Vitamin B12

Honest Kitchen Duck
Duck, sweet potato, dried navy beans, organic flaxseed, egg, parsley, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, EPA/DHA, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Good Morning Everyone! I've got some questions about The Honest Kitchen, and would love to hear about any experiences that any of you have had with it....

Right now we use Earthborn Holistic- Great Plains for Effie & Josie. While we've never had any real issues with the food, I've been contemplating switching them to THK. I've read so many wonderful things about feeding raw, and I think that THK would give me the ability to provide my girls a much better diet. I wouldn't even know how to begin feeding raw, nor do I really have the time to devote to cooking (I barely cook dinner for myself & the husband anymore LOL).

So my first question is this..how long would a 10lb box actually last me (days)? The box says that once hydrated it makes 40lbs of food. Effie & Josie both get 1 cup in the am, and 1 cup in the pm. So that's 4 cups of food per day. The feeding instructions for THK say 1-2 cups/day. Is that of the dry mix? If that's the case, then the 10lb box would only last me about 10 days. At that price point, it might be a little too pricey for me right now. The box also says it should last 40-20 days, so I'm guessing between 2 dogs, 10 days is about right. Math is not my strongest subject, so if someone with more experience can chime in I'd really appreciate it!

Also, if you do feed THK, how much do you feed your bully daily? I'd love to hear some suggestions. Right now I get the 28lb bag of Earthborn Holistic, and it generally lasts me about 4 weeks. (Again, with the math, I can't figure out how 28lbs of Earthborn lasts 4 weeks, but 40lbs of THK would only last me 10 days....:help: LOL

We feed THK, and the 7lb box lasts us just about one month. We do the base mix "kindly" and we mix in our own protein.
I think the base mixes biggest box is the 7lb one. If you sign up for reoccurring order with them directly you get a discount and reward points that add up to get you free food.

Measurements on the box are "dry"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
HK is great and I also use it. I use the Preference one and add my protein. How long the box last depends the weight of your dog. Nyala is 48lbs n her box last about 6ish weeks. Again goes by weight. Some of us did the breakdown of price. Spot Farm Turkey comes out to half the price of HK. Make sure you do your batch for either or, the night before as they can stay liquid.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have been using the THK Preference base mix off and on for the last 3 years. We get the 10lb box and where we buy it after your 10th box your 11th is free. Each box lasts Harlea bout 6 to 8 weeks and we pay roughly $69 per box. She gets 1/2 a cup of mix and 1/2 a cup of whatever protein we are using for each meal. For us it works great as a detox with the change of seasons between spring and summer as that is when she is at the height of her allergy itchys.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I just add water to the EasyRaw dehydrated raw dog food 15 minutes before serving (I assume Honest Kitchen would be same). It's pretty liquidy but my dog doesn't mind lapping up the water first. If your dog is picky then you should make it up the night before so it will solidify into a stew. I don't believe Honest Kitchen is any better quality than the Spot Farm, but seems a little better quality than the EasyRaw since it has more fat and less carbs. I settled for now on EasyRaw because I can get it on sale at Petsmart, and I can't seem to get Spot Farm in Ontario. Canisource GrandCru grain free raw turkey and pork/lamb formulae will be out shortly in Canada (not available in USA) and they are a lot cheaper so I will give them a try next. https://www.canisource.com/grand-cru/chiens.php

If I was going for a base mix in Canada and add my own protein I would use the U-Stew since it works out cheaper here in Canada than Honest Kitchen Preference or Kindly.

HK is great and I also use it. I use the Preference one and add my protein. How long the box last depends the weight of your dog. Nyala is 48lbs n her box last about 6ish weeks. Again goes by weight. Some of us did the breakdown of price. Spot Farm Turkey comes out to half the price of HK. Make sure you do your batch for either or, the night before as they can stay liquid.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just add water to the EasyRaw dehydrated raw dog food 15 minutes before serving (I assume Honest Kitchen would be same). It's pretty liquidy but my dog doesn't mind lapping up the water first. If your dog is picky then you should make it up the night before so it will solidify into a stew. I don't believe Honest Kitchen is any better quality than the Spot Farm, but seems a little better quality than the EasyRaw since it has more fat and less carbs. I settled for now on EasyRaw because I can get it on sale at Petsmart, and I can't seem to get Spot Farm in Ontario. Canisource GrandCru grain free raw turkey and pork/lamb formulae will be out shortly in Canada (not available in USA) and they are a lot cheaper so I will give them a try next. https://www.canisource.com/grand-cru/chiens.php

If I was going for a base mix in Canada and add my own protein I would use the U-Stew since it works out cheaper here in Canada than Honest Kitchen Preference or Kindly.

Spot farms is at PetValu that's were I buy it n she said its shipped from Ontario.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.