Help Needed! First bulldog puppy, trying to find best food

Kevrogers

Jul 12, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello, my wife and I are about to get our first bully. I was hoping you might be able to help advise on some of the better/best food to feed our potential puppy. I've searched around for days, and see conflicting stories as to the best food for an English bulldog puppy. The two breeders we are visiting this weekend use Purina puppy chow. I had thought Purina was not so good. I see Taste of the Wild high prairie puppy formula repeatedly listed as a good food as well as Fromm. Our vet said Science Diet puppy was a good one, and I know a lot of vets talk about royal canin-but I saw the ingredients and was worried about trying it. I checked the AAFCO guidelines, but for their Growth profile, it has a higher protein content of at least 22%-and then saw bulldog sites that said puppies would want less to avoid potential hip and skeletal issues. I really want to make sure we provide the best for our potential puppy, I appreciate any help or information!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
awww, welcome and you are asking very good question and you have come to the right place for good experienced bulldog advice and information... And always given with a good heart attached :) I'll let others fill ya in, but, I will say,, your right on about those being yuck for food!! Except for Fromm... Fromm GREAT and lots here highly recommend .. Take a nice look around and heres a good place to look until someone else comes on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor It will give you lots to go on, but whats great is these people here have bulldogs, to help you with this touchy breed :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Fromm Heartland Grain Free puppy food is a great one to start with. Orijen puppy is also very good as are others. Purina, Royal Canin aren't good foods. Taste of the Wild is made by Diamond pet foods and they have had a lot of recalls.

You can choose any dog food, doesn't have to be puppy, as long as it is rated ok for all life stages. This means that it has the right calcium and phosphorus ratios to ensure normal bone growth. When puppy is 8 months old he should be switched to an adult food if you do keep him on puppy dog food. Start with the amount stated on bag, usually given 3 times a day and give less if you notice puppy having loose stools. Switch gradually over 7-10 days from breeder's food, ie 25/75 then 50/50 then 75/25 of new food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello, my wife and I are about to get our first bully. I was hoping you might be able to help advise on some of the better/best food to feed our potential puppy. I've searched around for days, and see conflicting stories as to the best food for an English bulldog puppy. The two breeders we are visiting this weekend use Purina puppy chow. I had thought Purina was not so good. I see Taste of the Wild high prairie puppy formula repeatedly listed as a good food as well as Fromm. Our vet said Science Diet puppy was a good one, and I know a lot of vets talk about royal canin-but I saw the ingredients and was worried about trying it. I checked the AAFCO guidelines, but for their Growth profile, it has a higher protein content of at least 22%-and then saw bulldog sites that said puppies would want less to avoid potential hip and skeletal issues. I really want to make sure we provide the best for our potential puppy, I appreciate any help or information!

WELCOME!!!!! Stay away from RC , Hills, Purina as you're going to create more issues later with your pup.
Keep this link handy https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/
Stick to Acana, Orijen or Fromm. TOTW, Wellness, Cores have a lot of recalls.
Raw n home cooking are fantastic! Honest Kitches n Spot Farms are also great.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:welcome3: to EBN .... congrats on the new puppy and great that you are doing your research. As others have stated, avoid, Purina, RC, Hills and Science Diet... just plain crap, all of them. Your vet, not knocking vets, but they do not know food and usually only push what they sell in their office because that is what is sold to them and they get a kick back. Breeders do not have to be concerned with what they feed puppy as the pups get all their important nutrients from Momma's milk.

So, with that said.... follow the advice of the gang...

Dog food advisor for research... but the best are Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Nature's Variety and The Honest Kitchen

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
My Lincoln has been on Taste of The Wild since day 1. Started with their puppy formula and switched to adult at 4 months of age (breeder recommendation).

No problems :)

B770QE

Feb 7, 2016
California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
:smileywelcome: I've fed Taste of the Wild for several years. I know there are some complaints and the manufacturer has had some recalls, but the only recall I've known of for TOTW was voluntary. I have never had any problems at all with it. I feed Taste of the Wild Wetlands Canine Formula. Dog Food Analysis rates it as 6 stars and it is not overly expensive. I highly recommend it, but as always, do some research & decide for yourself.
And congratulations on the new pup!

Edit to add my husband just reminded me we did once have a bag of food Gus refused to eat. It was the only bag of TOTW we ever ordered online instead of buying at the local store. Since Gus refused to eat it, we just threw it away, & bought a new bag. Other than the one bag, never had any issues.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.