29dawmicros

Jul 8, 2017
florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
roxy
hello all, thank you for all the wisdom you all are so willing to share. i want to get my bully off RC food. but i went to the store to look and it seems like EVERYONE and their bully are making grain free or limited ingredient foods. but why would i feed my belly cranberries or alfalfa, or sprouts or sweet potatoes or a mix of fruits and veggies with real animal protein? where would YOU start?? cant go RAW cause hubby is not on board yet, but i want to show him how a higher quality food than RC will help with roxy's weight and skin allergies. what kibble would YOU buy? i am not even sure if she has issues with say....chicken, so i dont think i should start with something she has not had like lamb or duck or salmon. and do bullies really eat berries? and rice?? im so lost

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I can say that a good place to check also is the dog food advisor Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor ... Helps a lot. Your going to hear grain free, and some brands like Zignature, Fromm, Acana, Orijen,,,, and then Honest kitchen and other freezedried foods ... There will be a wealth of info coming your way which is still hard if you have a stubborn hubby :/ I'm one who rotates food a LOT so I will let others help you out way more ;) There are some real good choices out there and with a little help, you can still feed a simple healthy meal that suits your pup and you hubby :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Fromm Four Star is a great dry food kibble to start with. You can switch amongst the four star line without having to do a gradual change over. You can stick with dry dog food for now since it is more convenient and cheaper and your dog doesn't have any allergies. If you decide to try raw in the future you can go dehydrated raw eg. Honest Kitchen, Spot Farms, EasyRaw or frozen raw.

You can check out top rated dog foods at DogFoodAdvisor web site. Here is the link for 5 star dry dog foods Five Star Dry Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

Dogs can be picky, so try to get sample bags or buy a small bag to start. If you do buy a big bag and dog won't eat it or he gets soft poops, throws up, or starts scratching, you should be able to return it as long as it is more than 3/4 full.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If you want to stick to kibble, they pretty much will all have fruits and veggies in them. If you didn't want to feed that, you would have to follow the prey model of raw. You can go grain free to avoid rice, barley and oats but then there are just other fillers like lentils or peas.

Like said, Fromm, Zignature, Orijen and Acana are all good quality kibbles. Then there is Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's for freeze dried raw that you just hydrate and then feed.

I feed my French Bulldog raw (prey model) but I get frozen patties so it's already properly balanced and no added fruits or veggies. My 5 month old bulldog was on Fromm but I am currently in the process of switching him over to Acana and The Honest Kitchen. Once Louie gets neutered, he will be getting raw too.

And then just look at dogfoodadvisor.com to check out ratings of dog food.

But yes, I would definitely get off the RC.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello all, thank you for all the wisdom you all are so willing to share. i want to get my bully off RC food. but i went to the store to look and it seems like EVERYONE and their bully are making grain free or limited ingredient foods. but why would i feed my belly cranberries or alfalfa, or sprouts or sweet potatoes or a mix of fruits and veggies with real animal protein? where would YOU start?? cant go RAW cause hubby is not on board yet, but i want to show him how a higher quality food than RC will help with roxy's weight and skin allergies. what kibble would YOU buy? i am not even sure if she has issues with say....chicken, so i dont think i should start with something she has not had like lamb or duck or salmon. and do bullies really eat berries? and rice?? im so lost

You are correct in getting off the RC, really not a good food. As others have suggested, go for a high quality kibble to help hubby transition better... then you can maybe step it up to dehydrate or raw. The better the food the less the vet bills.... with the high quality kibbles although they seem more expensive, you feed less so the bag last longer .

good luck and keep us posted

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
The better the food the less the vet bills.... with the high quality kibbles although they seem more expensive, you feed less so the bag last longer .

good luck and keep us posted

YES!! Totally agree with this. I was literally just saying this morning to someone that a good food equals less vet visits. Jax has been on raw for a couple of years now and (knock on wood), other than his yearly wellness and yearly dermatologist appointments, he hasn't needed to see the vet. And any time he gets a bit yeasty, I am able to get rid of it myself.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Tell hubby it's a dog not a cow. Tell him to read the first 5 ingredients. Says it all. In the wild wolves eat meat, berries, roots etc.

Tell him to read this how RC are using feathers in their product!

https://www.google.ca/amp/healthype...pets/archive/2013/07/17/amp/feather-meal.aspx

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.