29dawmicros

Jul 8, 2017
florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
roxy
hi everyone. so my 1yo bully is overweight, at least 10lb. hubby swears we r giving her the best food for her....royal canine.......she does not get a lot of treats or people food........vet swears we r overfeeding her and giving people food.......i walk her most mornings, just around the block, we live in miami so much more walking im afraid would get her overheated.......am i wrong in thinking her vet approved and "pushed" food could be making her overweight? i want to cut back on the food and add green beans ike i saw someone else here do......mr sarcasm says he hopes she does not vomit up the green beans i just gave her, which she LOVED

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
RC is not a good food. How much does she weigh? Can you post some pictures? Green beans are a good addition with cutting back food but I would upgrade to a better quality food. Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Zignature are some examples of good quality kibble. If you wanted to do a freeze dried raw that you just hydrate with water, The Honest Kitchen and Grandma Lucy's are good. Dogfoodadvisor.com is a good resource for dog food ratings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Welcome to the forum!

Although Royal Canine is not a top rated food, I doubt the food as such causes overweight. Are you feeding her according to recommendations? If she weighs too much you should not go by her current weight but by her target weight.

I fully understand that heat is an issue where you live but can you exercise her indoors? Dogs are like people - to lose weight, they need to eat less and exercise more.

Good luck!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
hi everyone. so my 1yo bully is overweight, at least 10lb. hubby swears we r giving her the best food for her....royal canine.......she does not get a lot of treats or people food........vet swears we r overfeeding her and giving people food.......i walk her most mornings, just around the block, we live in miami so much more walking im afraid would get her overheated.......am i wrong in thinking her vet approved and "pushed" food could be making her overweight? i want to cut back on the food and add green beans ike i saw someone else here do......mr sarcasm says he hopes she does not vomit up the green beans i just gave her, which she LOVED

Your hubby n the vet should be fired. Immmm just kiiiiding! But was funny! Yes vets gets a % on sale and RC is loaded of grains which means carbs. You have a dog not a cow. Get proper food that's grain free like mentioned above. If you're in Miami, why don't you bring him to the beach to swim? Make sure he has a vest as bullies arent swimmers. That will beat the heat n he'll have his exercise.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

RC is not a good food and if feeding by bag instructions you could be over feeding cause they want you to over. feed so you but more

Look into a better high quality food and cut back on volume--- at 1 yr she should only get 2 cups a day.

Can you post pictures of your girl

OP

29dawmicros

Jul 8, 2017
florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
roxy
wow, breeder and vet recimmended RC. its gonna be tough getting hubby on board, but ill do it. i walk her early mornings and thats about all she gets 4 exercise cause dad is with her all day while im at work.
tell me how to post a picture from my phone??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
wow, breeder and vet recimmended RC. its gonna be tough getting hubby on board, but ill do it. i walk her early mornings and thats about all she gets 4 exercise cause dad is with her all day while im at work.
tell me how to post a picture from my phone??

Tell hubby vet gets a percentage of everything they sell so of course they push what they sell as being best... also most vets have no time to understand food industry-- they are focused on the medical part, not knocking them , just what they need to do. And the breeder, the puppies get all their nutrients from Mommas milk so it is not as important to feed a good food.

Picture--- if on the website, in the reply box on the top row are some icons, the one that is a square... i think fourth from end will say ' insert image'. Select that and follow instructions

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Tell your husband to read about food on this forum! It will set him straight! You have been given great advice from everyone. My Monty was on RC when I got him, overweight and with awful tear stains. Changed food and no more tear stains. I also cut back on the amount to 3/4 cup twice a day and added frozen green beans but he was 4 years old, not a youngster like yours so she will need a bit more. The RC has got to go!! Good luck!

OP

29dawmicros

Jul 8, 2017
florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
roxy
20170122_172856.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

my baby girl20170419_195355.jpg

Hankster