Pumpkin allergies?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Anyone? Duke has been on acana puppy. Yes has chicken but...this is his 2nd bag so i doubt its his food. Only thing i gave him different was a pumpkin as his stools were a bit on the soft side. Just i can't recall any of you guys mentioning pumpkin allergies. His mouth does stain but i wash it off immediately like every meals. Just curious. Thanks!
73eda84374d3531df5729cbba4f4ebb9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are you talking about the pink around the mouth and chin? That can be normal at his age and just having a white face it shows pink alot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I notice Louie's face gets pink sometimes.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Penny has a white face / chin and hers is pink/red sometimes. It's just easier to see bc of their white fur. She otherwise does t have an staining.

I JUST took his pic for reference.

718febf6c57a1abf418a839d2b20392c.jpg

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. Penny has a white face / chin and hers is pink/red sometimes. It's just easier to see bc of their white fur. She otherwise does t have an staining.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I was asking just in case as ive never heard of allergies towards pumpkin. I know a lot about food but that one stumped me.... I do know white face dogs tends to get red as my son's white pit bull Luna also has that issue. It just comes out anytime. Also his eyes gets pink. I never had a white dog. Too messy lolll.
[MENTION=14682]Corine Pesantes[/MENTION] Penny is such a pretty girl!! Posing for mommy.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I was asking just in case as ive never heard of allergies towards pumpkin. I know a lot about food but that one stumped me.... I do know white face dogs tends to get red as my son's white pit bull Luna also has that issue. It just comes out anytime. Also his eyes gets pink. I never had a white dog. Too messy lolll.
[MENTION=14682]Corine Pesantes[/MENTION] Penny is such a pretty girl!! Posing for mommy.

Lol- she's a good girl. But yea, the shade of "pink" lightens or darkens depending on activity and hot/cold temps etc. as long as it doesn't look irritated or like a hot spot, I wouldn't bee too concerned. I do rub suncreen on her if we go for a walk or to the lake just bc she's more susceptible to sun burns.

My friends pit always had reddish eyes And she thought it was just her- turned out she needed entropian surgery. (She also felt horrible) She never squinted much either which took her by surprise. So MAYBE- just have that ruled out if the redness doesn't ever seem to dissipate around his eyes.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol- she's a good girl. But yea, the shade of "pink" lightens or darkens depending on activity and hot/cold temps etc. as long as it doesn't look irritated or like a hot spot, I wouldn't bee too concerned. I do rub suncreen on her if we go for a walk or to the lake just bc she's more susceptible to sun burns.

My friends pit always had reddish eyes And she thought it was just her- turned out she needed entropian surgery. (She also felt horrible) She never squinted much either which took her by surprise. So MAYBE- just have that ruled out if the redness doesn't ever seem to dissipate around his eyes. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im like 99% sure was pigmentation but.... I just had to ask. Yes you're right when in the sun you see more pink. I think its a good idea to put sunscreen as I do a lot outside with them. :)

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Im like 99% sure was pigmentation but.... I just had to ask. Yes you're right when in the sun you see more pink. I think its a good idea to put sunscreen as I do a lot outside with them. :)

awwwwwwwwwww, speaking of sunscreen.... have an oil treatment for that???? I don't like sunscreen on me or mine either butttttt, don't want burns either...

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
awwwwwwwwwww, speaking of sunscreen.... have an oil treatment for that???? I don't like sunscreen on me or mine either butttttt, don't want burns either...

https://draxe.com/homemade-sunscreen/

Homemade Sunscreen

Total Time:*20-30 minutes serves:*10

INGREDIENTS:

10 drops lavender
1 tbsp*pomegranate oil
3/4 C*coconut oil
2 tbsp*Zinc Oxide
2 tbsp*shea butterGlass Jar

DIRECTIONS:

Combine all ingredients except zinc oxide in a jar. Place a saucepan with 2 inches of water on stove over medium/low heat .Place jar in saucepan and stir contents until ingredients start to melt. Once all ingredients are combined, add in zinc oxide and stir well. Store in a cool place.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think that his face is a bit too pink and eyes too. Food allergy starts often not mmediately, but takes some time. You know, how many big bags of Acana I had to throw away? When we stayed in China they don't take food back. Usually I bought smaller bag, it seemed that food was ok, but when I bought a big bag (alas!), little piglet developed diarrhoea and red skin.
Pumpkin is very low- allergic, never ever in my life I heard of pumpkin intolerance. I think the cause is in Acana, his stools started to become loose because of something in Acana, you tried to correct his stools with pumpkin, but skin becomes redder not because of pumpkin, but because of accumulation of some component from Acana.
Loose stools is the first sign of food sensitivities- first intestines react to allergen, they get inflammation and try to protect themselves from food they "don't like" with the layer of mucus, absorption is affected and voila! You have loose stools. Skin reaction takes longer. The problem starts inside.
So, my opinion is that the food he is eating isn't suitable for him. Think realistically- to blame pumpkin, which has may be 5 components in it, or dogs food, which has zillion components?...I vote for dry food. And problem started before pumpkin!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I think that his face is a bit too pink and eyes too. Food allergy starts often not mmediately, but takes some time. You know, how many big bags of Acana I had to throw away? When we stayed in China they don't take food back. Usually I bought smaller bag, it seemed that food was ok, but when I bought a big bag (alas!), little piglet developed diarrhoea and red skin.
Pumpkin is very low- allergic, never ever in my life I heard of pumpkin intolerance. I think the cause is in Acana, his stools started to become loose because of something in Acana, you tried to correct his stools with pumpkin, but skin becomes redder not because of pumpkin, but because of accumulation of some component from Acana.
Loose stools is the first sign of food sensitivities- first intestines react to allergen, they get inflammation and try to protect themselves from food they "don't like" with the layer of mucus, absorption is affected and voila! You have loose stools. Skin reaction takes longer. The problem starts inside.
So, my opinion is that the food he is eating isn't suitable for him. Think realistically- to blame pumpkin, which has may be 5 components in it, or dogs food, which has zillion components?...I vote for dry food. And problem started before pumpkin!

Wasnt blaming the pumpkin. Asking if anyone has heard of pumpkin allergies as I never did. :)

wafiw

Jun 1, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
nina

I am asking for input on what kind of pumpkin others use? My one dog does not like Cold foods (he is 13) and with the canned pumpkin I have to refrigerate after opening. I was wondering if there is any input on something that is either small servings or a treat type thing and if it is as beneficial as canned pumpkin?

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
I am asking for input on what kind of pumpkin others use? My one dog does not like Cold foods (he is 13) and with the canned pumpkin I have to refrigerate after opening. I was wondering if there is any input on something that is either small servings or a treat type thing and if it is as beneficial as canned pumpkin?
Have you tried warming the pumpkin up with some hot water, or some other way?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.