Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Everyone. As most of you already know, I've been battling food allergies with my male baby Bulldozer, he is allergic to 7 proteins so he can't have chicken, salmon, beef, pork, lamb, rabbit, or kangaroo.

I have tried many brands of food, no grains, no fillers, limited ingredient, raw, even vegan. I always strive to feed a 4 to 6 star food rating and give my babies the best. Last fall Dozer was a hot mess, he had goopy eyes, he had scratched all his chest raw and bald, he was excessively licking his paws until they looked like a soggy sponge, and had changed colour, and his ears were stinky. I decided to detoxify hi. From all proteins and start from scratch. I also too away all his treats, and fruits and all supplements. I put him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Vegan kibble for one month to rid him of all proteins. He did very well on this food, but because it doesn't have a lot of protein, he lost weight and muscle mass. I tried him on the Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison, and he did okay, but not 100 % improvement, so then I alternated every 2 weeks between the Vegan and the Venison, and add kidney beans, scrambled eggs, and lentils to the vegan, hoping that by alternating the two, he wouldn't develop any allergy or intolerance to the venison. He was still showing some allergy symptoms, so I saw a commercial for Nutro limited Ingredient ( less than 10 ) and grain free, I bought the Venison kibble and started him on it about a month ago. He is doing so well on this food, his eyes are so clear, his hair has completely grown back, and his fur is so soft, he's not shedding as much, and he's not licking his paws, plus his poops are awesome. My dilemma is that I looked up Nutro on the dog food ratings page, and it's listed as a 2 or a 3 at best, and I'm worried that this isn't a very good food, although it's marketed as a good food, and the ingredient listing looks good. Do I keep him on this because it's working for him for the time being, or do I continue to search for a better quality food that works for him? I feel so bad for him, he's had issues since he was a puppy, and doesn't have as much energy as his sister Blossom. We feed Blossom Fromms Pork and Applesauce and Lamb and Lentil and she does great on both of these. I've tried every flavour of Fromms for Dozer, but he does not tolerate them. Do I keep him on the Nutro, knowing it's not the best quality, but seeing good results? I'm wrestling with this and feeling guilty that he's not getting the best nutrition.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My opinion is that if he's thriving on it, and all his issues have cleared up, then don't change anything. :) Especially if you've looked up the ingredients, and they are good.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My thoughts on food have always been go with what works best for your pup regardless of the star rating. So I say if he is doing good on it then keep him on it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree. You need to feed what works best for Dozer. When Jax was on kibble, there was a period of time he was getting California Naturals Venison and it was only a 3 star food but I couldn't let it stress me out because he did good on it and that is what mattered.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I agree, stick with whatever is working! We all want to do the best possible for our dogs, but not many years ago they didn't have these choices and they seemed to thrive!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If it is working.. stick with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.