General Question Is my bulldog underweight

Taraferguson123

Jun 10, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Boscoe
Hello,
I have a 3 year old English bulldog, he is an active English bulldog and came from a very healthy litter and both parents weren't the typical chubby bulldogs but a little taller.
He eats pedigree wet food (3 tins a day spread over two meal times) with some cooked chicken sometimes throughout the week. He gets regular excercise however starting to think he is looking a little thin.
We have tried to feed him more but this seems to unsettle his stomach more and makes him go to the toilet a lot more often. Obviously trying to give him a little fatter meals without being over the top.
I just wondered if anybody could recommend a particular food or brand? I am not even sure if he is underweight for his size/body type but you can see the ribs when he is stood up and the top of spine.
Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,185
  • IMG_0812.JPG
    IMG_0812.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 1,407

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I would definitely start by changing his food to a high quality food as Pedigree is not the greatest. I have also heard that a dog should not eat only canned food, not sure if there is truth to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!!

Agree with the others... pedigree is not a good food-- UK, look into James Well Beloved if not is Acana available in UK? The is another good food that a member used, but I cant remember the name of it

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I remember one of the members said they buy their dog food off this web site because of the large selection https://www.zoo-bio.co.uk/dogshop/dog-food

Welcome to EBN!!

Agree with the others... pedigree is not a good food-- UK, look into James Well Beloved if not is Acana available in UK? The is another good food that a member used, but I cant remember the name of it

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Not much to add as everyone covered you and agree on getting rid of pedigree!!!! We do have a few members from UK. Im sure they'll answer you. Your dog with stomach problems or poops a lot if diet is changed is cause of pedigree. Tons of grains...fit for cows. :)

Check the attached link

Grain Free Dog Food UK

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Hello,
I have a 3 year old English bulldog, he is an active English bulldog and came from a very healthy litter and both parents weren't the typical chubby bulldogs but a little taller.
He eats pedigree wet food (3 tins a day spread over two meal times) with some cooked chicken sometimes throughout the week. He gets regular excercise however starting to think he is looking a little thin.
We have tried to feed him more but this seems to unsettle his stomach more and makes him go to the toilet a lot more often. Obviously trying to give him a little fatter meals without being over the top.
I just wondered if anybody could recommend a particular food or brand? I am not even sure if he is underweight for his size/body type but you can see the ribs when he is stood up and the top of spine.
Thank you for all your help!

I agree with others that switching to a higher quality food would be a good idea. He does look a bit underweight to me. Have you looked at food ratings on Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
he is really gorgeous!!! Does look to need some weight to me :) These guys don't do good with grains it seems so ya might check out some good 'other' foods out there and see if that'll do the trick... And .... Welcome! he's a beauty for sure...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
He's about 6 ounces under perfect weight. :)
Switch to Acana if you can and he'll love you for it.
BTW, he looks ripped...like a bully body builder.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.