anyone good with math and food question ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
this is going to be another (maybe) lame question but.................... when it sais a cup of protein,,, should I be measuring 'pre' cooked? (that would be real hard with an intact turkey now wouldn't it) I smash a cup of cooked meat into a measuring cup for his 'cup' of meat.. is that right?

Working in the food industry n measuring all in grams, when I came across HKP I question....one measuring up or grams....a lot more if you go my way...so the answer was a measuring cup.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say you measure out raw or thawed raw or frozen protein to mix with the Preference or Kindly base mix, ie. 1 cup of Kindly or Preference base mix to 1-1.5 cups of uncooked meat. Then once you have measured the raw meat in a measuring cup you can cook it.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Id kind of like to just weigh... but then raw is heaver so that would be wrong too... oh boy! but think I got it covered...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
So in Canada if you want to go with base mix use U-Stew instead of Honest Kitchen.

If you want to go for a complete dehydrated raw go with Grand Cru if grains are ok for your dog. If not, go with Spot Farms since its 3.30 per day for a 50 pound dog. The other two main dehydrated raw brands in Canada are more expensive-Amore dehydrated raw is about 5.00 per day and NRG is about 5.50 per day for a 50 pound dog. Compare this to Honest Kitchen Marvel at 7.09 per day for a 50 pound dog in Canada.

In United States U-Stew base mix costs 1.30 per day for a 40-50 pound dog, and Honest Kitchen Preference and Kindly base mixes will cost 1.78 per day for same size dog. Plus cost of protein. In Canada U-Stew cost 1.30 per day in Canadian dollars and Honest Kitchen costs 3.30 per day. in CAD So in Canada there's no question that U-Stew is a much better deal than Honest Kitchen.

If you want to buy a raw dehydrated with protein in Canada the Canisource Grand Cru is really cheap but the beef version has grains. Spot Farms is roughly around 3.60 per day for a 50 pound dog.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I just posted all the Canadian prices for dehydrated raw right now. I didn't do a back to back comparison of all the US prices but I just checked two - Spot Farm Grain Free Turkey is 3.71 US per day for a 50 pound dog and Honest Kitchen Spruce is 6.10 US per day for a 50 pound dog.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I just posted all the Canadian prices for dehydrated raw right now. I didn't do a back to back comparison of all the US prices but I just checked two - Spot Farm Grain Free Turkey is 3.71 US per day for a 50 pound dog and Honest Kitchen Spruce is 6.10 US per day for a 50 pound dog.

Lynne or is this Brian? Not sure but......were did you post this? Also what was the name of the tear stain remover.... has letters like (I think) obu....I saw it somewhere cant find it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's Brian. I just posted it above the US quote. Of course it's cheaper to buy your own protein and add it to a base mix, but I'll paste Canadian info about buying complete dehydrated raw dog food again: If you want to go for a complete dehydrated raw go with Grand Cru if grains are ok for your dog. If not, go with Spot Farms since its 3.30 per day for a 50 pound dog. The other two main dehydrated raw brands in Canada are more expensive-Amore dehydrated raw is about 5.00 per day and NRG is about 5.50 per day for a 50 pound dog. Compare this to Honest Kitchen Marvel at 7.09 per day for a 50 pound dog in Canada.

WRT tear stains, Wes suggested earlier in thread Ocubrite, but I'm not sure it's great idea since you are giving your dog tylosin which is an antibiotic. In another thread I suggested cleaning with boric acid eye wash, brand name Collyrium, or making your own:

Add one tablespoon Boracic Acid to a cup of boiling water, mix well. Place several cotton swabs into a plastic container. Pour the cooled solution over the swabs and seal the container. Use one swab daily to clean away tear and face staining. Make up a new mix at least once weekly.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It's Brian. I just posted it above the US quote. Of course it's cheaper to buy your own protein and add it to a base mix, but I'll paste Canadian info about buying complete dehydrated raw dog food again: If you want to go for a complete dehydrated raw go with Grand Cru if grains are ok for your dog. If not, go with Spot Farms since its 3.30 per day for a 50 pound dog. The other two main dehydrated raw brands in Canada are more expensive-Amore dehydrated raw is about 5.00 per day and NRG is about 5.50 per day for a 50 pound dog. Compare this to Honest Kitchen Marvel at 7.09 per day for a 50 pound dog in Canada. .

WRT tear stains, Wes suggested earlier in thread Ocubrite, but I'm not sure it's great idea since you are giving your dog tylosin which is an antibiotic. In another thread I suggested cleaning with boric acid eye wash, brand name Collyrium, or making your own:

Add one tablespoon Boracic Acid to a cup of boiling water, mix well. Place several cotton swabs into a plastic container. Pour the cooled solution over the swabs and seal the container. Use one swab daily to clean away tear and face staining. Make up a new mix at least once weekly.
Excellent!!! Thank you so much for all this info and your time!!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
agreed!!!!! And I alternate between preference and kindly and have been searching where to find duck to add to it. and,,,, what protein do you use that you can end up so cost effective??? I feel that his meals are at least 4 bucks a wack.... which Is fine, I eat that much a meal too but just curious...

An easier answer would be what we don't use as we use just about anything at one time or another ranging from garbanzo beans to Emu and Kangaroo. Howerver, we are big supporters of the local FFA chapters in our area and we usually buy a hog, rabbits, half a steer and dozens of chickens every year which save a lots on our costs as we do not pay anywhere near store prices on any of it.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
An easier answer would be what we don't use as we use just about anything at one time or another ranging from garbanzo beans to Emu and Kangaroo. Howerver, we are big supporters of the local FFA chapters in our area and we usually buy a hog, rabbits, half a steer and dozens of chickens every year which save a lots on our costs as we do not pay anywhere near store prices on any of it.

awwww!! Good information!!!!! I've been trying to think of how to find someone who hunts or????? but better yet! I will search to find an FFA chapter and see what I can do! Great to hear that you have done that and how well it works... It just feels better to do things like that! Thank you!!!!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
awwww!! Good information!!!!! I've been trying to think of how to find someone who hunts or????? but better yet! I will search to find an FFA chapter and see what I can do! Great to hear that you have done that and how well it works... It just feels better to do things like that! Thank you!!!!

Any time. The added bonus of buying from the FFA is that you know the animals were raised under the guidance of an adult and that they were well cared for otherwise they wouldn't be at the show to begin with.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I just bought a bag of Canisource Grand Cru beef ( contains grains - foods with grains are usually cheaper than grain free ) and it works out to $2.62 /day for a 50 pound dog. I emailed Canisource and they said they would have grain free meat formulas by the end of the summer. Right now they have a grain free fish formula but I'm trying to avoid fish because of contaminants. I tried buying a bag of Spot Farms at the local Pet Valu and they just had the one made with grain. Spot Farms dog food isn't popular here, although their treats are.

It's Brian. I just posted it above the US quote. Of course it's cheaper to buy your own protein and add it to a base mix, but I'll paste Canadian info about buying complete dehydrated raw dog food again: If you want to go for a complete dehydrated raw go with Grand Cru if grains are ok for your dog. If not, go with Spot Farms since its 3.30 per day for a 50 pound dog. The other two main dehydrated raw brands in Canada are more expensive-Amore dehydrated raw is about 5.00 per day and NRG is about 5.50 per day for a 50 pound dog. Compare this to Honest Kitchen Marvel at 7.09 per day for a 50 pound dog in Canada.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I just bought a bag of Canisource Grand Cru beef ( contains grains - foods with grains are usually cheaper than grain free ) and it works out to $2.62 /day for a 50 pound dog. I emailed Canisource and they said they would have grain free meat formulas by the end of the summer. Right now they have a grain free fish formula but I'm trying to avoid fish because of contaminants. I tried buying a bag of Spot Farms at the local Pet Valu and they just had the one made with grain. Spot Farms dog food isn't popular here, although their treats are.

I'm in US and we don't have Grand Cru but another good one (I think) is the Sojo's... You can even buy it called Naked that Sojos makes for a place called 'the Naked Dog' .... I've used it and he likes that too but not too much the one with the meat in it...I'd sure like to give Hank more beef but he gets gassy on it.. Mabie just needs to get more into his system and it'll ease off?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Everything is so much cheaper in the US !!! That's why I used to buy stuff from Amazon.com and have it shipped to a mailbox store in Buffalo, ( americanmailbox.net ) and pay them 5.00/item to store it for me till I picked it up. Haven't done that for a long time. Now I try to buy Canadian if I can, eg. the Grand Cru dog food, or make my own products such as the ear drops ( 5 drops oil of cloves , 5 drops tea tree oil in 2 oz witch hazel; or 50% organic apple cider vinegar and 50% witch hazel ), malacetic wipes ( 2% boric acid and 2% acetic acid solution poured on some paper towels ). And we have other members making that complicated essential oil mixture !

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Everything is so much cheaper in the US !!! That's why I used to buy stuff from Amazon.com and have it shipped to a mailbox store in Buffalo, ( americanmailbox.net ) and pay them 5.00/item to store it for me till I picked it up. Haven't done that for a long time. Now I try to buy Canadian if I can, eg. the Grand Cru dog food, or make my own products such as the ear drops ( 5 drops oil of cloves , 5 drops tea tree oil in 2 oz witch hazel; or 50% organic apple cider vinegar and 50% witch hazel ), malacetic wipes ( 2% boric acid and 2% acetic acid solution poured on some paper towels ). And we have other members making that complicated essential oil mixture !
YES! I too make much of my stuff now thanks to you guys!! and funny about buying in the US.... I'm struggling trying to buy Canadian Acana...lol Called the company and they said they cant send across the border anymore. I did get the duck (From here) to check for travels, and in cooperating it into his rotation... Seems GREAT so far...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.