CAN FOOD

icyjay

Dec 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
pepper
What do you guys do to help firm stools up when feeding can food? I like feeding can food because my dog needs the extra water intake but having to clean her backside every time gets old. Any ideas?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Are you only feeding canned food? I don't remember where I read it or if it's true but I am fairly certain I had read somewhere that you shouldn't feed a dog only canned food. But I can't tell you the source because I can't remember. If you are concerned about water intake, you can soak the kibble in water. Another good source would be to feed raw. It naturally contains a lot of moisture. My Frenchie eats raw and hardly ever drinks. My EB eats kibble right now and drinks up a ton.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I agree, would be healthier to mix some raw dehydrated with water (eg. Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Grandma Lucy's ) or to feed raw. Supposedly you get small hard balls of poop with raw dog food but I haven't noticed any change in poop since I switched my dog to Grand Cru dehydrated raw crunchy dog food ( doesn't need to be rehydrated ). Still seems soft and a lot.

Are you only feeding canned food? I don't remember where I read it or if it's true but I am fairly certain I had read somewhere that you shouldn't feed a dog only canned food. But I can't tell you the source because I can't remember. If you are concerned about water intake, you can soak the kibble in water. Another good source would be to feed raw. It naturally contains a lot of moisture. My Frenchie eats raw and hardly ever drinks. My EB eats kibble right now and drinks up a ton.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree, would be healthier to mix some raw dehydrated with water (eg. Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Grandma Lucy's ) or to feed raw. Supposedly you get small hard balls of poop with raw dog food but I haven't noticed any change in poop since I switched my dog to Grand Cru dehydrated raw crunchy dog food ( doesn't need to be rehydrated ). Still seems soft and a lot.

I remember hearing people say that raw fed dogs poop small hard balls. That is not the case with Jax. That dog takes some dumps. But unless he is "off" then they are usually a firm consistency and way less stinky. But definitely not small balls.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... try raw/dehydrated food

You can also add some pure canned pumpkin to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
What do you guys do to help firm stools up when feeding can food? I like feeding can food because my dog needs the extra water intake but having to clean her backside every time gets old. Any ideas?

It would help us more if you tell us why he's eating only cans. Would be easier to guide you on the right track. :yes:

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Softish poop on a constant basis isn't so innocent. It means that food doesn't really suit him well. Lower part of GI tract is constructed in a way that irrespective of amount of water someone drinks, all of it is absorbed. Think about yourself - have you ever had loose stools just because you drank too much water? Never. Healthy, not irritated bowel will extract all water and make poop reasonably dry. But if something in food irritates stomach, intestines or bowel, then gastrointestinal (GI) tract starts to protect itself from it and produces layer of slime. This slime prevents proper absorption of water and poops become softish. Also, nutrients cannot be absorbed properly. If irritation persists, GI can become chronically inflamed and this causes more problem. So, in fact, Loose poop means that particularly this food doesn't suit your dog and it is better to consider finding something else before it causes permanent damage to his gastrointestinal tract.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Softish poop on a constant basis isn't so innocent. It means that food doesn't really suit him well. Lower part of GI tract is constructed in a way that irrespective of amount of water someone drinks, all of it is absorbed. Think about yourself - have you ever had loose stools just because you drank too much water? Never. Healthy, not irritated bowel will extract all water and make poop reasonably dry. But if something in food irritates stomach, intestines or bowel, then gastrointestinal (GI) tract starts to protect itself from it and produces layer of slime. This slime prevents proper absorption of water and poops become softish. Also, nutrients cannot be absorbed properly. If irritation persists, GI can become chronically inflamed and this causes more problem. So, in fact, Loose poop means that particularly this food doesn't suit your dog and it is better to consider finding something else before it causes permanent damage to his gastrointestinal tract.

BANG ON Girl!!!!! Well said!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

I really wish we weren't having this conversation right here and right now. I am in the midst of a so far eight day long bout of Diverticulitis. I'm the Pooping Queen of New Orleans. The Cipro and Flagyl are kicking my butt (literally) and stomach. Have lost 10lbs in eight days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I really wish we weren't having this conversation right here and right now. I am in the midst of a so far eight day long bout of Diverticulitis. I'm the Pooping Queen of New Orleans. The Cipro and Flagyl are kicking my butt (literally) and stomach. Have lost 10lbs in eight days.

OMG!!!!! Healing prayers to you

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

awww, at least the Queen of something??? prayers lady,,, that has got to be real uncomfortable :( Get well real soon.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank

OMG, hope you will recover soon! So sorry you have to go through this! This is literally s... condition !

Most Reactions