Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Th Duck and Pear we have is medium sized round in shape and flat. I am not sure what the normal Acana shape or size is. It looks like the dime I picked held up against someone trying to cut it in half which i didn't notice until I looked at the picture

IMG_20170603_111420963.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Thanks I think I will switch Chunky to the pork and peas. I am weird and do a complete elimination of everything when he has issues so I don't miss what the problem was and he has had bowel issues recently.

I just read the two replies above and see the website might be off but will probably still swap him over to a different Acana once I read the protein and Cystine levels and see which is best

I'm no vet and certainly no expert so just relaying what I heard from a pet nutritionist. Since Chunky has been neutered, and has had no more issues with stones, he should be fine to eat whatever. But of course do whatever you are comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I'm no vet and certainly no expert so just relaying what I heard from a pet nutritionist. Since Chunky has been neutered, and has had no more issues with stones, he should be fine to eat whatever. But of course do whatever you are comfortable with.

My vet is still pushing for lower protein and Cystine in his food. Fromm Pork and Peas might be worth a try and he has ate it in the past but I cannot find anything stating the Cystine amount in any of Fromms products. I guess you have to email them to get that info. He was taken off of Fromm before which I swapped the flavors around when he was eating it because he shed a lot while eating it and he hadn't done that on Orijen Puppy so I thought it was the food

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
all good stuff here :) I love discussing food so its great to see the different takes.... And thanks for the 'size' comparison... looks about normal acana size :) I'm still leaning towards the duck,,,,but I'm going to do another post on food right about now too.... lol yikes!! It's going to ask some mathematical stuff soooooo, look for it :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It kind of makes sense that the crappy brands would have less contamination because they are mostly grains. This site is strictly measuring contaminants like mercury, not how nutritionally complete the food is

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
My vet is still pushing for lower protein and Cystine in his food. Fromm Pork and Peas might be worth a try and he has ate it in the past but I cannot find anything stating the Cystine amount in any of Fromms products. I guess you have to email them to get that info. He was taken off of Fromm before which I swapped the flavors around when he was eating it because he shed a lot while eating it and he hadn't done that on Orijen Puppy so I thought it was the food

In my research for a good kibble for Louie, I found numerous brands that have synthetic methionine added which we do not want. It doesn't look like Fromm adds any in, which is good. Louie is on chicken a la veg right now which is 24% protein. I might try the new chicken frommage (or something like that) which is grain free and I think at 26% protein. Have you looked/tried Zignature? They gave some good protein % formulas as well and it doesn't look like they add synthetic methionine either.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
In my research for a good kibble for Louie, I found numerous brands that have synthetic methionine added which we do not want. It doesn't look like Fromm adds any in, which is good. Louie is on chicken a la veg right now which is 24% protein. I might try the new chicken frommage (or something like that) which is grain free and I think at 26% protein. Have you looked/tried Zignature? They gave some good protein % formulas as well and it doesn't look like they add synthetic methionine either.

No I havent really looked into a lot of brands. Just the ones regularly talked about on this forum and what the local specialty pet food store sales which is a good amount. They seem to push Acana and THK which is what the two knowledgeable ones who work there feed their dogs. The guy recommended Pork and Peas but I went with the Duck and Pear because it has less Cystine and protein but not by much

I have tried avoiding chicken, potatoes and grains also since that seems to be what other EBN'ers say causes their dogs problems

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thanks I think I will switch Chunky to the pork and peas. I am weird and do a complete elimination of everything when he has issues so I don't miss what the problem was and he has had bowel issues recently.

I just read the two replies above and see the website might be off but will probably still swap him over to a different Acana once I read the protein and Cystine levels and see which is best

Nyala had crystal at 5 months... instead of horsing around I cooked for her then HKP cause I dont have much time to cook anymore. Now trying Spot farms. Like HK but less expensive. Works great for now.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Nyala had crystal at 5 months... instead of horsing around I cooked for her then HKP cause I dont have much time to cook anymore. Now trying Spot farms. Like HK but less expensive. Works great for now.

Glad the 'spots' is working out!! I had an employee at one of the dog shops I frequent mention to me... don't get hung up on being dedicated (not the word I want) to a certain brand only!!! There are other good ones out there... I do agree :) And am liking the Sojos... I'm also cooking up quinoa and even some rice and adding a small amt at times just to keep his tummy working on change. So far, it's working for US...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.