Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] "if you are not showing you have neuter which I am fine with". Not sure what ya meant? ;) and ..... i still consider doing all premade raw, (or mostly), but still need something to travel with easier... He's done enough 'rotation' with ease it seems, and his dad insists on feeding him steak when he's there, mabie i just stick with the kindly and bring him home a steak each night to throw in ;) oh wouldn't he hate that!!!

Behavior and size wise Chunky hasn't really changed since being neutered. He was neutered because of the Cystine stones he had and the vet and everything I read said neutering him would help him avoid more stones. I cut back on his protein intake also. He didn't have any issues until around 16 months

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Behavior and size wise Chunky hasn't really changed since being neutered. He was neutered because of the Cystine stones he had and the vet and everything I read said neutering him would help him avoid more stones. I cut back on his protein intake also. He didn't have any issues until around 16 months

awww, and what 'signs' were you seeing? I'm certainly not opposed to neutering (his dad was but for health reasons he certainly would have done) but wanted to hopefully wait till about 18 months and if he was still behaving, maybe never. Just not sure on that... When I took him over, I had planned on doing that around 6-8 months but this here place convinced me otherwise ;) Right now, it's the only thing I have to threaten him with when he misbehaves... lol

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
awww, and what 'signs' were you seeing? I'm certainly not opposed to neutering (his dad was but for health reasons he certainly would have done) but wanted to hopefully wait till about 18 months and if he was still behaving, maybe never. Just not sure on that... When I took him over, I had planned on doing that around 6-8 months but this here place convinced me otherwise ;) Right now, it's the only thing I have to threaten him with when he misbehaves... lol

He couldn't hold his pee for more than a 2-3 hours and when I would take him out he would try to go as much as possible. I thought it was him marking his territory because he was just getting over a year old

I took him to the vet and they did an x ray and found stones which were removed a few days later and was neutered at the same time with them keeping him for the weekend. The breeder claims he had never heard of any of the other pups having issues and most likely isn't letting anyone else aware that one of his pups had the stones which are hereditary

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
He couldn't hold his pee for more than a 2-3 hours and when I would take him out he would try to go as much as possible. I thought it was him marking his territory because he was just getting over a year old

I took him to the vet and they did an x ray and found stones which were removed a few days later and was neutered at the same time with them keeping him for the weekend. The breeder claims he had never heard of any of the other pups having issues and most likely isn't letting anyone else aware that one of his pups had the stones which are hereditary

Thank you very much!!! I will definitely keep my eyes open for that behavior..

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Thank you very much!!! I will definitely keep my eyes open for that behavior..
They can do labs and check to see if he might have Cystinuria. Neutering him before he gets stones is a lot cheaper than having surgery to remove stones

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
They can do labs and check to see if he might have Cystinuria. Neutering him before he gets stones is a lot cheaper than having surgery to remove stones

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

wrote that down! this boy would have to be sedated to get blood drawn again.... he LOVES the attention and becomes a spaz!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] "if you are not showing you have neuter which I am fine with". Not sure what ya meant? ;) and ..... i still consider doing all premade raw, (or mostly), but still need something to travel with easier... He's done enough 'rotation' with ease it seems, and his dad insists on feeding him steak when he's there, mabie i just stick with the kindly and bring him home a steak each night to throw in ;) oh wouldn't he hate that!!!

Oops...missed a word. The breeders show their dogs so they mainly breed for that. So you can get a show dog or just a pet from them. If you are not going to show, you have to neuter/spay, it's in the contract. And you don't get the AKC paperwork until you do. So even though Louie has to get neutered because he has cystinuria, I would neuter him regardless. Does that make sense now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Oops...missed a word. The breeders show their dogs so they mainly breed for that. So you can get a show dog or just a pet from them. If you are not going to show, you have to neuter/spay, it's in the contract. And you don't get the AKC paperwork until you do. So even though Louie has to get neutered because he has cystinuria, I would neuter him regardless. Does that make sense now?

Yes indeed it does :) I wish that the one time I bread my shih Tzu mama that I had done that. She was a beauty, and so was the dad and it was for family but a friend of my friend who had the dad, bought my boy, and as they left I heard them mention what a stud he'ed be. At that point, I had no say and I always kind of hurt. I can only hope that I don't have grand kids out there.. Or mabie I wish I could find one... Loved those girls...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
"Contaminants" Acana Duck? I never heard of it. I bought Spot Farm Turkey for bith but with Duke's pooping I took him off till he gets on track. I still like HK but its expensive for 2 plus you need to add your protein. Its like 125 $ for Nyala a month which is fine but for 2? Dont make sense, might as well go raw lol. Spot Farms, well Nyala loves it but its like mash potatoes texture. I know some wont agree but I like my dogs even before Nyala, get a variety of different food. But...yes a but...I started Nyala young to eliminate the food types she cant. So far only one food. I also just bought her Acana Duck. She loves it. So far so good. Yes it's Canadian. Less protein in Acana than Orijen for sure. She gets half half and yes her protein is calculated. Duke is on puppy Acana. Took slowly his raw away and his poop is not as soft. His breeder had him on both so for now 2 cups a day work. All this to say like Hank, you give him different foods and he has no issues from what ive read in your threads. It's like kids. Dont give peanut butter, honey when they are babies. Todays studies, now we can give PB or Honey so the child's immune system gets use to it.. well, duhhhhhhhh me. We had less issues back when than today with allergies.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The Acana Duck and Pear only had 1 star on cleanlabelproject website which means it was much more contaminated relative to other dog foods. Acana Singles Duck and Pear Formula Dry Dog Food ...More - Clean Label Project

"Contaminants" Acana Duck? I never heard of it. I bought Spot Farm Turkey for bith but with Duke's pooping I took him off till he gets on track. I still like HK but its expensive for 2 plus you need to add your protein. Its like 125 $ for Nyala a month which is fine but for 2? Dont make sense, might as well go raw lol. Spot Farms, well Nyala loves it but its like mash potatoes texture. I know some wont agree but I like my dogs even before Nyala, get a variety of different food. But...yes a but...I started Nyala young to eliminate the food types she cant. So far only one food. I also just bought her Acana Duck. She loves it. So far so good. Yes it's Canadian. Less protein in Acana than Orijen for sure. She gets half half and yes her protein is calculated. Duke is on puppy Acana. Took slowly his raw away and his poop is not as soft. His breeder had him on both so for now 2 cups a day work. All this to say like Hank, you give him different foods and he has no issues from what ive read in your threads. It's like kids. Dont give peanut butter, honey when they are babies. Todays studies, now we can give PB or Honey so the child's immune system gets use to it.. well, duhhhhhhhh me. We had less issues back when than today with allergies.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
thanks, and, how did you learn Louie has the type III cystinuria? Hank is not neutered and has had blood taken but I haven't been told of that cystinuria soooooo wondering how you knew ... thanks :)
Easier way to know if he has no cystinuria is urine sample ( no need for needle poking), as if he has no cystine crystals in urine, and no family history of it, and no symptoms, most probably no worries for you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[QUOTE Clean Label Project[/url][/QUOTE]

Just went on the site, out of 299 brands...yes 299 brands the top 10 worst brand you find are 6 made from Champion who make orijen n acana, one from HK.... now is it me or is this survey out of wack out of 299 brands, these 7 top brand made the worst hit list and not RC or Hills or Purina etc etc? Im sorry but this just doesn't make any sense. Most are on the fish side which im preeeeeetty sure Canada's water is much cleaner than the waters in China, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam where I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. So that's my 2 cents on that website.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[QUOTE Clean Label Project[/url]

Just went on the site, out of 299 brands...yes 299 brands the top 10 worst brand you find are 6 made from Champion who make orijen n acana, one from HK.... now is it me or is this survey out of wack out of 299 brands, these 7 top brand made the worst hit list and not RC or Hills or Purina etc etc? Im sorry but this just doesn't make any sense. Most are on the fish side which im preeeeeetty sure Canada's water is much cleaner than the waters in China, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam where I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. So that's my 2 cents on that website.[/QUOTE]

I posted a link previously that said this website and the studies were misleading. When I first read the studies I was like omg but then saw how high they rated the crap foods so I said no thanks. And it's my personal opinion that all food, human, dog or whatever is is all somewhat contaminated with something. Acana is a good brand and I'd rather feed that then Purina they claim to be so clean.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
The Acana Duck and Pear only had 1 star on cleanlabelproject website which means it was much more contaminated relative to other dog foods. Acana Singles Duck and Pear Formula Dry Dog Food ...More - Clean Label Project

Thanks I think I will switch Chunky to the pork and peas. I am weird and do a complete elimination of everything when he has issues so I don't miss what the problem was and he has had bowel issues recently.

I just read the two replies above and see the website might be off but will probably still swap him over to a different Acana once I read the protein and Cystine levels and see which is best

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I kinda remember you going through that... Is the kibble the normal "acana" size? or have you used other acana to compare...

I have him on a limited ingredient diet with no potatoes. The duck and pear was one of the only Acana that fit the bill. I switched to a different brand instead of trying others.

Members online

No members online now.