Thread: Acana duck and pear anyone?

Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Acana duck and pear anyone?

The Acana Duck and Pear only had 1 star on cleanlabelproject website which means it was much more contaminated relative to other dog foods. Acana Singles Duck and Pear Formula Dry Dog Food ...More - Clean Label Project

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    "Contaminants" Acana Duck? I never heard of it. I bought Spot Farm Turkey for bith but with Duke's pooping I took him off till he gets on track. I still like HK but its expensive for 2 plus you need to add your protein. Its like 125 $ for Nyala a month which is fine but for 2? Dont make sense, might as well go raw lol. Spot Farms, well Nyala loves it but its like mash potatoes texture. I know some wont agree but I like my dogs even before Nyala, get a variety of different food. But...yes a but...I started Nyala young to eliminate the food types she cant. So far only one food. I also just bought her Acana Duck. She loves it. So far so good. Yes it's Canadian. Less protein in Acana than Orijen for sure. She gets half half and yes her protein is calculated. Duke is on puppy Acana. Took slowly his raw away and his poop is not as soft. His breeder had him on both so for now 2 cups a day work. All this to say like Hank, you give him different foods and he has no issues from what ive read in your threads. It's like kids. Dont give peanut butter, honey when they are babies. Todays studies, now we can give PB or Honey so the child's immune system gets use to it.. well, duhhhhhhhh me. We had less issues back when than today with allergies.

2. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Real Name
    Natallia
    Country
    Belarus
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    thanks, and, how did you learn Louie has the type III cystinuria? Hank is not neutered and has had blood taken but I haven't been told of that cystinuria soooooo wondering how you knew ... thanks
    Easier way to know if he has no cystinuria is urine sample ( no need for needle poking), as if he has no cystine crystals in urine, and no family history of it, and no symptoms, most probably no worries for you.

4. Likes helsonwheels, Chunky White liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE Clean Label Project[/url][/QUOTE]

Just went on the site, out of 299 brands...yes 299 brands the top 10 worst brand you find are 6 made from Champion who make orijen n acana, one from HK.... now is it me or is this survey out of wack out of 299 brands, these 7 top brand made the worst hit list and not RC or Hills or Purina etc etc? Im sorry but this just doesn't make any sense. Most are on the fish side which im preeeeeetty sure Canada's water is much cleaner than the waters in China, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam where I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. So that's my 2 cents on that website.

6. Likes Cbrugs, 2BullyMama, Chunky White liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog) and Ella Mae
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    [QUOTE Clean Label Project[/url]
    Just went on the site, out of 299 brands...yes 299 brands the top 10 worst brand you find are 6 made from Champion who make orijen n acana, one from HK.... now is it me or is this survey out of wack out of 299 brands, these 7 top brand made the worst hit list and not RC or Hills or Purina etc etc? Im sorry but this just doesn't make any sense. Most are on the fish side which im preeeeeetty sure Canada's water is much cleaner than the waters in China, Korea, Thailand, Vietnam where I wouldn't eat any fish out of there. So that's my 2 cents on that website.[/QUOTE]

I posted a link previously that said this website and the studies were misleading. When I first read the studies I was like omg but then saw how high they rated the crap foods so I said no thanks. And it's my personal opinion that all food, human, dog or whatever is is all somewhat contaminated with something. Acana is a good brand and I'd rather feed that then Purina they claim to be so clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    The Acana Duck and Pear only had 1 star on cleanlabelproject website which means it was much more contaminated relative to other dog foods. Acana Singles Duck and Pear Formula Dry Dog Food ...More - Clean Label Project
    Thanks I think I will switch Chunky to the pork and peas. I am weird and do a complete elimination of everything when he has issues so I don't miss what the problem was and he has had bowel issues recently.

I just read the two replies above and see the website might be off but will probably still swap him over to a different Acana once I read the protein and Cystine levels and see which is best

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

9. Likes 2BullyMama, Cbrugs, helsonwheels liked this post
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    I kinda remember you going through that... Is the kibble the normal "acana" size? or have you used other acana to compare...
    I have him on a limited ingredient diet with no potatoes. The duck and pear was one of the only Acana that fit the bill. I switched to a different brand instead of trying others.

11. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Th Duck and Pear we have is medium sized round in shape and flat. I am not sure what the normal Acana shape or size is. It looks like the dime I picked held up against someone trying to cut it in half which i didn't notice until I looked at the picture

-img_20170603_111420963-jpg

Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    Thanks I think I will switch Chunky to the pork and peas. I am weird and do a complete elimination of everything when he has issues so I don't miss what the problem was and he has had bowel issues recently.

I just read the two replies above and see the website might be off but will probably still swap him over to a different Acana once I read the protein and Cystine levels and see which is best
    I'm no vet and certainly no expert so just relaying what I heard from a pet nutritionist. Since Chunky has been neutered, and has had no more issues with stones, he should be fine to eat whatever. But of course do whatever you are comfortable with.

Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    I'm no vet and certainly no expert so just relaying what I heard from a pet nutritionist. Since Chunky has been neutered, and has had no more issues with stones, he should be fine to eat whatever. But of course do whatever you are comfortable with.

My vet is still pushing for lower protein and Cystine in his food. Fromm Pork and Peas might be worth a try and he has ate it in the past but I cannot find anything stating the Cystine amount in any of Fromms products. I guess you have to email them to get that info. He was taken off of Fromm before which I swapped the flavors around when he was eating it because he shed a lot while eating it and he hadn't done that on Orijen Puppy so I thought it was the food

15. Likes Cbrugs, helsonwheels liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

all good stuff here I love discussing food so its great to see the different takes.... And thanks for the 'size' comparison... looks about normal acana size I'm still leaning towards the duck,,,,but I'm going to do another post on food right about now too.... lol yikes!! It's going to ask some mathematical stuff soooooo, look for it

17. Likes 2BullyMama, Cbrugs, Chunky White liked this post
    Dog Show Judge
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)

It kind of makes sense that the crappy brands would have less contamination because they are mostly grains. This site is strictly measuring contaminants like mercury, not how nutritionally complete the food is

Real Name
    Citty
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    My vet is still pushing for lower protein and Cystine in his food. Fromm Pork and Peas might be worth a try and he has ate it in the past but I cannot find anything stating the Cystine amount in any of Fromms products. I guess you have to email them to get that info. He was taken off of Fromm before which I swapped the flavors around when he was eating it because he shed a lot while eating it and he hadn't done that on Orijen Puppy so I thought it was the food
    In my research for a good kibble for Louie, I found numerous brands that have synthetic methionine added which we do not want. It doesn't look like Fromm adds any in, which is good. Louie is on chicken a la veg right now which is 24% protein. I might try the new chicken frommage (or something like that) which is grain free and I think at 26% protein. Have you looked/tried Zignature? They gave some good protein % formulas as well and it doesn't look like they add synthetic methionine either.

20. Likes Chunky White, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads