Acana duck and pear anyone?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I do love the Honest Kitchen but Hank is not favoring it a whole bunch right now. I'm thinking if mabie I feed that either morning or eve, and then possibly this acana duck (he loves the different Acana's) for the other, it would be ok? Anyone use this one? I sure wish I could get the one from Canada but I called and cant :(

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My dog did well on the duck and pear blend allergy-wise. I had to switch to a different kibble because it was so protein dense. He would throw up the kibble right after eating because he inhales it whole. It is a larger kibble.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My dog did well on the duck and pear blend allergy-wise. I had to switch to a different kibble because it was so protein dense. He would throw up the kibble right after eating because he inhales it whole. It is a larger kibble.

I kinda remember you going through that... Is the kibble the normal "acana" size? or have you used other acana to compare...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It gets 4.5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com and Acana is a great brand, good quality. I was actually going to start Louie on it but it has added methionine and Louie has type III cystinuria so I need to stay away from that until he is neutered.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It gets 4.5 stars on dogfoodadvisor.com and Acana is a great brand, good quality. I was actually going to start Louie on it but it has added methionine and Louie has type III cystinuria so I need to stay away from that until he is neutered.

thanks, and, how did you learn Louie has the type III cystinuria? Hank is not neutered and has had blood taken but I haven't been told of that cystinuria soooooo wondering how you knew ... thanks :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I wonder how that Spot Farms dehydrated dog food is that Helene is using. The Acana Duck and Pear had a lot of contaminants.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I had Monty on the Canadian Acana and he did great. He was on the Duck and Pear and Pacifica. It is an excellent food. Unfortunately, when he had to go on the US Acana, everything went pear shaped (no pun intended). He had a massive yeast infection and I am pretty sure it was from the Wild Atlantic. He was a hot mess. That was the end of Acana for me. If we could still get the Canadian food, I am pretty sure he would still be on it. As is it now, I don't let him have anything with mackerel in it. They also mucked around with a lot of the other ingredients so I wasn't prepared to take any chances with any of their recipes.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks, and, how did you learn Louie has the type III cystinuria? Hank is not neutered and has had blood taken but I haven't been told of that cystinuria soooooo wondering how you knew ... thanks :)

The breeders do DNA tests on their puppies, that is the only way to know beforehand. Type III affects adult, in tact males but it is testosterone driven so neutering takes care of the issue. I can't remember off the top of my head how old Hank is. Basically with cystinuria, the dog can form stones and have urinary issues. If not caught in time, the stones can cause a blockage and need to be surgically removed. I believe a couple people on here have dealt with this issue and I believe [MENTION=14678]Chunky White[/MENTION] is one of them. But it doesn't affect all males so Hank might be just fine.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The breeders do DNA tests on their puppies, that is the only way to know beforehand. Type III affects adult, in tact males but it is testosterone driven so neutering takes care of the issue. I can't remember off the top of my head how old Hank is. Basically with cystinuria, the dog can form stones and have urinary issues. If not caught in time, the stones can cause a blockage and need to be surgically removed. I believe a couple people on here have dealt with this issue and I believe [MENTION=12646]CHUNK[/MENTION]yWhite is one of them. But it doesn't affect all males so Hank might be just fine.
Thank you so much!! Hank is 16 months and as of now, I'm not planning a neuter. His behavior could change that, but as of now, he's doing great. So, was this particular Acana (duck) the one not safe for yours? I wasnt sure if it was all Acana or this one possibly would slip through :) Hank gets honest kitchen, some premade raw, and has had both Acana and origen as kibble.... So far seems to do well with all, but I gotta say, this travel stuff trying to figure how to feed has me REALLY wanting a kibble that would be fine/good for the trips... I really kinda spazed over this last trip (that didn't even end up happening ..lol) and just want to calm with my foodie head ;)

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky is on Duck and Pear now and yes he did have cystine stones and they had to be removed. He is having bowel issues now and it could possibly be the food but more likely caused by Seresto dog collar. I have thought about switching because the food doesn't seem to last or he just happens to get an upset stomach towards the end of a bag each time and his food is kept in a tight container indoors where its cool

He has been on multiple foods in the past two years and I just wish I could find that one food that he/his bowels would be happy with for a while. I have to feed him foods with less protein and lower cystine levels because of the Cystinuria issue but hopefully he will no longer have any issues since he was neutered

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much!! Hank is 16 months and as of now, I'm not planning a neuter. His behavior could change that, but as of now, he's doing great. So, was this particular Acana (duck) the one not safe for yours? I wasnt sure if it was all Acana or this one possibly would slip through :) Hank gets honest kitchen, some premade raw, and has had both Acana and origen as kibble.... So far seems to do well with all, but I gotta say, this travel stuff trying to figure how to feed has me REALLY wanting a kibble that would be fine/good for the trips... I really kinda spazed over this last trip (that didn't even end up happening ..lol) and just want to calm with my foodie head ;)

I believe it is all Acana. And Orijen is too high in protein for him right now. I had looked at The Honest Kitchen but he can't eat that either. But he can eat Grandma Lucy's so I think I might switch him over to that soon. For now he is eating Fromm and is doing fine. Once he gets neutered, I can feed him whatever. He has to get neutered because of the cystinuria plus with this breeder, if you are not showing you have neuter which I am fine with. Jax gets raw and I have yet to need to travel with him so I would have no idea what I would do if/when that times come. I would probably do a freeze dried or dehydrated raw.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Chunky is on Duck and Pear now and yes he did have cystine stones and they had to be removed. He is having bowel issues now and it could possibly be the food but more likely caused by Seresto dog collar. I have thought about switching because the food doesn't seem to last or he just happens to get an upset stomach towards the end of a bag each time and his food is kept in a tight container indoors where its cool

He has been on multiple foods in the past two years and I just wish I could find that one food that he/his bowels would be happy with for a while. I have to feed him foods with less protein and lower cystine levels because of the Cystinuria issue but hopefully he will no longer have any issues since he was neutered

I love Hanks bowels on the honest kitchen Kindly... I cook up a lg breast and thigh in the pressure cooker and it's simple pie... Pack a weeks worth of that meat in 1 cup containers and freeze... and just defrost the night b4.. Have a real easy process now but!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just don't think it's good to have just one thing and never change but if I didn't have that issue, I would stick with only that!! but then, right now it's the travel thing... anyway, I did want to ask if it was just the duck that seemed to go bad towards the end? I've never seen that with the 3 other acanas I've gotton for him. And............ how long has Chunky been on it? (I do think it's the collar but danged if more than one thing changes at a time, it makes it difficult :/

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I had Monty on the Canadian Acana and he did great. He was on the Duck and Pear and Pacifica. It is an excellent food. Unfortunately, when he had to go on the US Acana, everything went pear shaped (no pun intended). He had a massive yeast infection and I am pretty sure it was from the Wild Atlantic. He was a hot mess. That was the end of Acana for me. If we could still get the Canadian food, I am pretty sure he would still be on it. As is it now, I don't let him have anything with mackerel in it. They also mucked around with a lot of the other ingredients so I wasn't prepared to take any chances with any of their recipes.

that is so rotton!!! I hear that a lot that the us's isn't near the same :( I have used it though through his puppyhood and all was well with him but I will think a bit b4 jumping in...

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I wonder how that Spot Farms dehydrated dog food is that Helene is using. The Acana Duck and Pear had a lot of contaminants.

tks, I had thought about it but turned because of the potato but so far, he hasn't had issues with stuff so may give it a shot too. Mostly, I'm looking for him to be able to just do a kibble when traveling so would be giving at least a few times a week so it wouldn't be a big food change causing issues...

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
[MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] "if you are not showing you have neuter which I am fine with". Not sure what ya meant? ;) and ..... i still consider doing all premade raw, (or mostly), but still need something to travel with easier... He's done enough 'rotation' with ease it seems, and his dad insists on feeding him steak when he's there, mabie i just stick with the kindly and bring him home a steak each night to throw in ;) oh wouldn't he hate that!!!

Most Reactions