recommendations on a good joint supplement

erniesmom

Apr 14, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
ernie
My Ernie is only four but had some xrays done and is showing signs of some arthritis in his back. He uses a ramp to get off and on our bed and is lifted into a car. I was giving him Foster and Smith extra strength chewables joint care. I need something that he will eat as giving him any sort of pill(even chewable heartworm) is always a pain. Thank you

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use the NuVet supplements, and they also have a joint formula.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We used Agility by Life's Abundance for our dogs. It was in chewable form, but we used to break it up and sprinkle it on her kibble.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I use the Cosaquin DS with MSM for Monty. He started hobbling a little bit when he first got up and the vet said it was the start of arthritis. We put him on that and he doesn't hobble at all any more. He is nearly 7. It says it is chewable and I just drop it in his food and he eats it, no problem.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Movoflex soft chews are supposed to be good. Also, ground turmeric and ginger. I personally give my dog Acti-Flex 4000 which is a glucosamine, chondroitin and hyaluronic acid supplement meant for horses so is quite inexpensive, and 1/4 tsp turmeric. The acti-flex also has bioperine which helps the turmeric get absorbed.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
so same topic, but .............. is this something that growing dogs benefit from or is it something more for repair... Or, for growing,,,, stop for a bit, and add again later in life??? or?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say it's never too early to start these supplements to prevent arthritis. Your body doesn't need a break from them, as far as I know.

so same topic, but .............. is this something that growing dogs benefit from or is it something more for repair... Or, for growing,,,, stop for a bit, and add again later in life??? or?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Thanks, and I'm recommending this one to my bf for his arthritic knee as well... I haven't ordered yet, but I 'think' I found the one you speak of... if you have a pic, i'd love it... I always prefer to get what someone else has found useful... Don't have horses anymore, but being 66 myself, and a bulldog and actually son who just found he has arthritis in his knee (military related) , and bf,,, I'm thinking we all can get on the stuff ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Liquid glucosamine with msm at Costco. Turmeric allllll the way!!!! Add it to their food with ginger! Btw you can find turmeric in paste form.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Liquid glucosamine with msm at Costco. Turmeric allllll the way!!!! Add it to their food with ginger! Btw you can find turmeric in paste form.

I was reading somewhere else about the benefits of turmeric... will the dogs just eat it or does it have a strong taste?

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks, and I'm recommending this one to my bf for his arthritic knee as well... I haven't ordered yet, but I 'think' I found the one you speak of... if you have a pic, i'd love it... I always prefer to get what someone else has found useful... Don't have horses anymore, but being 66 myself, and a bulldog and actually son who just found he has arthritis in his knee (military related) , and bf,,, I'm thinking we all can get on the stuff ;)

I'm newly diagnosed w/arthritis in my knees and hip... I was taking the supplements, but because I'm active I just started to get the steroid injections in my knee. It's an absolute game changer IMO, and I feel great!!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm newly diagnosed w/arthritis in my knees and hip... I was taking the supplements, but because I'm active I just started to get the steroid injections in my knee. It's an absolute game changer IMO, and I feel great!!!

Thank you! This is really good to hear as my son is just about to start the injections. He's not thrilled about it and a little nervous but will be anxiously hoping that it works for him as well! Poor guy was really bummed with his diagnosis , and maybe this will give him hope :-)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was reading somewhere else about the benefits of turmeric... will the dogs just eat it or does it have a strong taste?

Needs to be mix in food. I would start with a 1/4 teaspoon n build it up to a teaspoon. Adult dogs wouldbe one teaspoon

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.