OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
They are being vague whether it is nutritionally complete once you add your protein, as it doesn't state that it meets AAFCO guidelines anywhere. I wouldn't worry whether it does or not as long as you are not feeding it exclusively long term. Question for Helene- why don't you try Canisource Grand Cru since you live in Canada? It's pretty inexpensive.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
gotcha ;) I think we need to write them directly and have them explain ... Just seems to be too good of a company to not meet and exceed AAFCO ya know ... Anyway, not life altering, just got my curiosity up :)
They are being vague whether it is nutritionally complete once you add your protein, as it doesn't state that it meets AAFCO guidelines anywhere. I wouldn't worry whether it does or not as long as you are not feeding it exclusively long term. Question for Helene- why don't you try Canisource Grand Cru since you live in Canada? It's pretty inexpensive.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

2nd ingredient rice, barley n oats... trying to keep the puppies grain free.

OP
Dollys Owner

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm trying it since it's much cheaper and I'm not sure if my dog has a grain allergy. She may just have environmental allergies and need a Cytopoint shot, or have obsessive issues with licking her paws. If she gets worse I'm also considering trying NRG raw dehydrated, or the U-Stew base mix and lightly cooking the meat as another alternative.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm trying it since it's much cheaper and I'm not sure if my dog has a grain allergy. She may just have environmental allergies and need a Cytopoint shot, or have obsessive issues with licking her paws. If she gets worse I'm also considering trying NRG raw dehydrated, or the U-Stew base mix and lightly cooking the meat as another alternative.

Idid some research last night, Ziwi Peak Venison or Tuckers Carnibal Beef Pumpkin sounds interesting. And like Todd mentioned, if you add your own ingredients towards HKP still good.

Update.......went to check the prices of these 2 brands.....:faint:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

If your dog doesn't have a grain allergy, there really is no reason to stay away from grains (other than corn, wheat, etc.). Grain free foods just use other fillers to make up for it.

Jax's dermatologist said he is a candidate for the Cytopoint injections so I am going to make an appointment for the end of the month to try it out. Fingers crossed!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If your dog doesn't have a grain allergy, there really is no reason to stay away from grains (other than corn, wheat, etc.). Grain free foods just use other fillers to make!

True but I prefer grain free as dogs weren't born to eat grains. Nyala was raised on one different protein a month. She's 20 months old now and I can say after doing this long process she can eat any protein. Fish is still iffy. She's also good on any fruits n veggies. Yes it's a longer process but I just didnt want to go through allergies issues like a lot has in here. Best way is eliminate the list of proteins any dog eats when they are pups. Will do the same with Duke. One good advantage I have is that not one of the breeder's bullies have allergies.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
True but I prefer grain free as dogs weren't born to eat grains. Nyala was raised on one different protein a month. She's 20 months old now and I can say after doing this long process she can eat any protein. Fish is still iffy. She's also good on any fruits n veggies. Yes it's a longer process but I just didnt want to go through allergies issues like a lot has in here. Best way is eliminate the list of proteins any dog eats when they are pups. Will do the same with Duke. One good advantage I have is that not one of the breeder's bullies have allergies.

Jax is on raw and he gets 2 or 3 proteins every 1 - 2 weeks. I tried beef a couple of weeks ago and he got really itchy so beef is now out. He doesn't get fruits or veggies unless I give him some which I do whenever I am cooking and have something he can eat. He just did not do well with kibble and I think it was because of all the added stuff and fillers. I like to control what he gets. Louie's parents don't have allergies and the breeders said none of their dogs do so I am hoping I get lucky. Are allergies hereditary? He is eating Fromm Chicken a la Veg right now and I will switch to a different protein when this bag is done and then my plan is to try Grandma Lucy's.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a thought.....Is it because they can't claim it because the meat is not in their "yet" and they can't confirm that you will put the right amount?
I went out to my pet shop and started to ask more questions on dehydrated food n dehydrated raw. Well the DR comes out very expensive. For Nyala's weight you would have to use it as a topper. I noticed that they had lime HK but Spot Farms. I buy HKP plus add protein as mentioned above so thats like $75 for HKP which makes 29lbs plus meat 50$. This Spot Farms makes 32lbs and already comes with your protein chicken or turkey or beef etc. So looks interesting.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.