Help Needed! Advice Please

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I've been feeding Zignature dog food for the last 18 months, generally switching between lamb, duck and venison. I have a diverse dog population...15 yr old Terrier, 9 year old Havanese, 5 year old Chihuahua and 7 month old Fatty Fatty Two By Four Daphne. We supplement with carrots, peas, Mixed Vegetables, boiled chicken or beef and hard boiled egg, just a smattering to keep it interesting. None of the older dogs, even before Daphne when they were self feeds had ever gained an ounce. Our vet is always most impressed. None of them, including Daphne has ever even had a hint of an allergy.
I have to feed everyone the same food unless someone develops an allergy. It's just so much easier. Here's my question...I like to switch flavours. The flavor below has a lot of ingredients. Would this melange of ingredients be risky allergy wise even though that's never been an issue here?

https://www.chewy.com/zignature-zssential-multi-protein/dp/102602

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I personally like a single protein source because then if an issue does arise, you can figure it out more quickly. But that doesn't mean you can't try out this flavor. And if none of your dogs have any allergies, it might be fine.

I was actually thinking about starting Louie on Zignature and had been wondering if you can rotate the flavors without any issues. And after reading your post, it sounds like they are rotational. So you just switch flavors when a bag is done? If I don't do Zignature, I will probably do Fromm as I know that can rotated as well.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
just curious if you saw (besides the added duck which I think is great!) anything added that you may not like? Im the odd ball here that rotates foods and it has worked well for us, so my thoughts would be heck yea... I think though so many feel that if it works why switch... I surly don't know, but will be interesting to hear :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I feel like it it ain't broke,why fix it! They are doing well-why take chances. Also possibly 32% protein is quite high for those dogs?

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I personally like a single protein source because then if an issue does arise, you can figure it out more quickly. But that doesn't mean you can't try out this flavor. And if none of your dogs have any allergies, it might be fine.

I was actually thinking about starting Louie on Zignature and had been wondering if you can rotate the flavors without any issues. And after reading your post, it sounds like they are rotational. So you just switch flavors when a bag is done? If I don't do Zignature, I will probably do Fromm as I know that can rotated as well.

Yes, I switch the flavor monthly or every other month. We just finished up a bag of venison. Venison is the most expensive at $92 per 27lb bag, Kangaroo is $73 and the others generally around $60. My dogs love the Zignature. In the past they've been in Taste of the Wild and Earthbound.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
just curious if you saw (besides the added duck which I think is great!) anything added that you may not like? Im the odd ball here that rotates foods and it has worked well for us, so my thoughts would be heck yea... I think though so many feel that if it works why switch... I surly don't know, but will be interesting to hear :)

There were just so many ingredients it sort of overwhelmed me. I don't feed the fish varieties because they get fish breath. I see that the multi source has 2 kinds of fish so that sort of attracted me, not pure fish just some mixed in.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My thoughts are that you give differing flavors now by rotating 3 different ones
along with supplementation of veggies and it's working great for all. Also concerned
with 32 % protein for non working (low energy) house dogs, I wouldn't chance it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't understand why there is a concern about high protein dry kibble dog food such as this food with 32% protein or Orijen with 36% protein, but not about dehydrated raw food such as Vital Essentials with 48% protein. The high protein dog foods have less carbohydrates which means your dog will be less likely to have yeast infections. Of course if your dog is in kidney failure he should be on a low protein diet,

Yes I was worried a bit about the high protein

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I switch Monty between the Zignature Duck and the Salmon. When one bag is finished, I just go to the other protein. He has had no problems with this at all. I decided that 30% protein was the cut-off point. I haven't tried any of the other Zignature proteins yet as I was on such a merry-go-round before trying to find a food that suited him that I am scared to try! I am very happy with this food and hope it stays that way.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I switch Monty between the Zignature Duck and the Salmon. When one bag is finished, I just go to the other protein. He has had no problems with this at all. I decided that 30% protein was the cut-off point. I haven't tried any of the other Zignature proteins yet as I was on such a merry-go-round before trying to find a food that suited him that I am scared to try! I am very happy with this food and hope it stays that way.

I had a discussion yesterday with the pet store owner. He said Zignature is his best seller to folks who are "label readers" and have specific breed dogs. My dogs really loved the venison, but at $92 a 27lb bag and four dogs, I can't do it all the time. I did notice that within the last couple of weeks Daphne's eye stains have gone away...hmmm...we'll see what happens when she's on the duck again this time.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Fromm grain-free 4 star brand, and I will switch up the proteins... but like you I have noticed issues w/Walter so I've been avoiding any poultry. I need to stick to one bag at a time and see what is going on. Wally does great w/beef and lamb, but any of the pork varieties and there seems to be issues.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I said I was looking to start Louie on Zignature but it doesn't look like it's an all life stage food. So this means it probably doesn't have as much calcium/phosphorous as an all life stage or puppy food. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I had a discussion yesterday with the pet store owner. He said Zignature is his best seller to folks who are "label readers" and have specific breed dogs. My dogs really loved the venison, but at $92 a 27lb bag and four dogs, I can't do it all the time. I did notice that within the last couple of weeks Daphne's eye stains have gone away...hmmm...we'll see what happens when she's on the duck again this time.

With 4 dogs on the venison I am sure it does get expensive! My dachshund gets what Monty gets and has no food issues thank goodness plus he doesn't eat much! The manager of the pet store I go to recommended Zignature as she has been through a few foods with me and as it has limited ingredients, thought it would be ideal. She seems to be really knowledgable about the different premium brands without having to study every label... like me!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I said I was looking to start Louie on Zignature but it doesn't look like it's an all life stage food. So this means it probably doesn't have as much calcium/phosphorous as an all life stage or puppy food. Does anyone have thoughts on that?

The Duck says 'Complete and balanced diet for Puppy to Adult Dogs'. It's on the front of the bag. Just checked, they all say it except for the venison and salmon. So, apart from those two, it does sound like an all stage food. When in doubt, call them up and ask them! Please let us know if you do.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.