Bone Marrow question

bulldogsoccer

Mar 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Patrick
I've read alot of posts here that bone marrows are great treats. Where are you getting them?

Petfood store?
Grocery store?
Butcher?

If Butcher, what do I ask for?

Thanks for the responses in advance, EBN is the best!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I get them from grocery store and a butcher

At grocery store.. usually in frozen meat area with turkeys or liver.

At butcher, i ask for a raw femur bone , knuckles split and bones in lengths of 4 or 5 inches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have a question regarding the bones too. I have several pet stores that sell the raw bones frozen. Will blood get everywhere as the dogs are chewing on them? I always want to get one but am hesitant as I don't know how messy it is.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have a question regarding the bones too. I have several pet stores that sell the raw bones frozen. Will blood get everywhere as the dogs are chewing on them? I always want to get one but am hesitant as I don't know how messy it is.

Some can be messy.. I limit the boys to a space and I shampoo/wash the area the next day

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some can be messy.. I limit the boys to a space and I shampoo/wash the area the next day

Or, you can make it a crate treat

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

Our experience is that it's not very messy as there is not much meat on the bones we buy at the buther's (ie no blood). However - and this is learned from experience. I'm afraid - make sure your dog doesn't hide the bone indoors during summer... we had a most awful incident with fly maggots last summer after Castor had hid the bone and I had forgotten about it. Will never let that happen again.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm afraid - make sure your dog doesn't hide the bone indoors during summer... we had a most awful incident with fly maggots last summer after Castor had hid the bone and I had forgotten about it. Will never let that happen again.

Yikes!!

Florida girls

Feb 3, 2015
FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie Kae, Lady
I usually blanche them (dip in boiling water) then put in the freezer. Supposedly that kills the bacteria that might make humans sick. Lady gets them right out of the freezer. Sadies allergic to beef so none for her.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Also keep in mind that they gnaw on this thing for hours on end and will not let it go. I asked my daughter one time to take it from Harvey as he was on it for 30 minutes or so and Harvey started growling at her.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

My guys never leave anything behind.... :laugh: I give them a bone every Saturday night around 6-6:30, all meat and marrow is gone by the time they go to bed 9:30PM and WOW do they sleep!!! I pick them up at bed time and place in the sink, then if they are not in bad shape, I will give them back after breakfast and they gnaw on them for a few more hours.

Lambeau at times has growled at us when trying to take it, but he learned real quick (2nd time) he loses and it is not acceptable behavior.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
My guys never leave anything behind.... :laugh: I give them a bone every Saturday night around 6-6:30, all meat and marrow is gone by the time they go to bed 9:30PM and WOW do they sleep!!! I pick them up at bed time and place in the sink, then if they are not in bad shape, I will give them back after breakfast and they gnaw on them for a few more hours.

Lambeau at times has growled at us when trying to take it, but he learned real quick (2nd time) he loses and it is not acceptable behavior.

Jax's birthday is next weekend so maybe I will get one for him to try out. Although his bed time is 6 - 6:30 pm :ROFL:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jax's birthday is next weekend so maybe I will get one for him to try out. Although his bed time is 6 - 6:30 pm :ROFL:

I'm with Jax! :babysleep:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm with Jax! :babysleep:

It's perfect for our schedules cause both me and the BF wake up early during the week. Hopefully we can get the new guy on the same schedule as he gets older!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I just happened to look at this web site and vet there recommends goat and lamb bones, not cow bones

https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/11626453-the-right-raw-bones-can-save-your-dog-s-teeth-and-thousands-in-dental-care

I get them from grocery store and a butcher

At grocery store.. usually in frozen meat area with turkeys or liver.

At butcher, i ask for a raw femur bone , knuckles split and bones in lengths of 4 or 5 inches

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Wow! this is great! I really like him too so that's extra neat.. I have just recently started Hank on his GREENMIN, and has been on the gutsense for a bit as well. Now to find goat or lamb bones :/ hum

Most Reactions