URGENT!!! Proper Care & Nutrition Advice Needed

HestiaAthena

Mar 7, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angela, Hestia, Athena
I have 3 beautiful english bulldogs. Angela-(32 months), Hestia-(7-1/2 months), Athena-(5-1/2 months). I am very confused about all the info on the internet. I have been feeding all three dogs Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Sweet Potato and Fish formula. All three eat twice a day as bag states.
Angela weighs 40.6 lbs. and eats about 3-1/2 cups daily
Hestia weighs 45.2 lbs. and eats 1-1/2 cups twice daily
Athena weighs 34 lbs. and eats 1-1/2 cups twice daily.
my main concerns are
1) Are the puppies getting enough nutrients????
2) Hestia is VERY solid, for 7-1/2 months old, she is bigger & stronger than her mother (Angela).I am concerned about cutting her food back because she is still a puppy. Yet at times, she seems to be struggling walking. The vet said nothing is wrong with her bones or development she is just solid. If I put her on a diet to help control weight, will that hurt her development??
Puppy food usually has 26-31% crude protein, 10% crude fat.
the food i use has 21% crude protein, 10% crude fat, 5% crude fiber, 10% moisture, .05% docosahexaenoic acid , 1% calcium, .8% phosphorus,, 2% omega 6, .5% omega 3 and the ME=3310 kcal/kg; 350 kcal/cup.

Any & all input appreciated.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Welcome,and sure will love to see your kids :) I'm just going to say hi,and will be interested to hear what our friends have to say...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say that you could definitely switch to a higher quality dog food - yours only gets about 3 stars on dogfoodadvisor. Also, its not a puppy formula, the calcium and phosphorus are a bit too low, should contain 1.2 to 1.8% calcium,1.0 to 1.6% phosphorus with a Calcium-to-phosphorus ratio 1:1 to 1.8:1. So it's definitely not one you should be using on Athena since she's only 5 and a half months old.

I also don't think it's a good idea to continue on the same protein indefinitely, since they might develop an allergy to it. If your bullies are doing great you may not want to take a chance switching, but if you are, here's the englishbulldognews 6 star foods: ( I don't like Blue and Stella and Chewys from the list below because of too many recalls) (a lot of members here use Fromm Four Star or Orijen dry kibble or Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw food):

Artemis- Maximal Dog
Blue- Wilderness
Earthborn Holistic- Primative Natural
Fromm Four Star Foods- All Dry Kibble Formulas
Fromm Four Star Foods- All Grain Free Kibble Formulas
Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Raw
Go Natural Fit + Free Grain Free Adult, Puppy, & Senior
Honest Kitchen Freeze Dried Raw
Horizon Legacy- Adult Canine
Horizon Legacy- Puppy
Merrick-Grain Free Duck, Pork, Chicken, Buffalo
Nature's Logic Natural- All Dry Kibble Formulas
Nature's Variety- All Instinct & Grain Free Forumlas
Orijen-Adult, Puppy, Regional Red, Six Fish & Senior
Stella And Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw
Wellness Core
Wellness Core Ocean
Wellness Core Reduced Fat

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would switch Hestia to adult food now. As long as she has a waist keep feeding her the same amount, and maybe a little more. If she doesn't have a waist, then I would cut back a little. We feed our adult female bullies 1 1/2 cup a day, (3/4 cup twice a day). We feed ours FROMM 4 star grain free food also.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have 3 beautiful english bulldogs. Angela-(32 months), Hestia-(7-1/2 months), Athena-(5-1/2 months). I am very confused about all the info on the internet. I have been feeding all three dogs Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Sweet Potato and Fish formula. All three eat twice a day as bag states.
Angela weighs 40.6 lbs. and eats about 3-1/2 cups daily
Hestia weighs 45.2 lbs. and eats 1-1/2 cups twice daily
Athena weighs 34 lbs. and eats 1-1/2 cups twice daily.
my main concerns are
1) Are the puppies getting enough nutrients????
2) Hestia is VERY solid, for 7-1/2 months old, she is bigger & stronger than her mother (Angela).I am concerned about cutting her food back because she is still a puppy. Yet at times, she seems to be struggling walking. The vet said nothing is wrong with her bones or development she is just solid. If I put her on a diet to help control weight, will that hurt her development??
Puppy food usually has 26-31% crude protein, 10% crude fat.
the food i use has 21% crude protein, 10% crude fat, 5% crude fiber, 10% moisture, .05% docosahexaenoic acid , 1% calcium, .8% phosphorus,, 2% omega 6, .5% omega 3 and the ME=3310 kcal/kg; 350 kcal/cup.

Any & all input appreciated.

:welcome3: to EBN

Agree with Dolly.... you may want to look into a better food, she gave a great list to select from, but personally I would avoid and product from 'Blue',,,, too many recalls for me.
Earthborn is a great food too.

Also, when feeding a high quality food, you feed less and they can go to adult food at 7-8 months.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.