Need New Treat For Joey-HELP Please

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hello all! Joey will be 2 years old May 31st. She eats Life's Abundance kibble, breakfast she gets a smidge of creamy peanut butter on her food but other than that no "people food" at all. I find her diet boring and out of LOVE would like to offer her something special now and then BUT need some suggestions/help deciding. Her health is GREAT and I want to keep it that way, tummy hardly ever upset and stools are firm 99% of the time. She is lactose intolerant as I found out trying to introduce greek yogurt to her diet a when she was younger.

So......suggestions? I would love to be able to give her a REAL MARROW bone from time to time, but not sure what to buy, how to prepare, etc. OK I will await some brilliance :)

Thanks, Sue

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Anyone? Even maybe just guidance on the raw/cooked whatever.....bone?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Chew treats or treat treats? I give mine freeze dried turkey. He gets frozen green beans as treats in the summer as a cool treat. Most anything is a treat for him though.

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
I give frozen cut carrots as treats. He also gets a hard boiled egg in his food almost every day. I do not buy him any dog specific treats other than bully sticks from time to time.

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Chew treats or treat treats? I give mine freeze dried turkey. He gets frozen green beans as treats in the summer as a cool treat. Most anything is a treat for him though.

THANKS! I guess chew treat, I don't want to change her regular diet. She gets moose antlers and flavored dura bones. I would like to try something real, like a beef bone but I have no idea if I SHOULD and no idea what to buy or how to prepare. OR should I not give her real bones?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I don't think there is any reason to change diet because you find it boring - as long as Joey eats and is healthy, it's a good diet!

We occasionally give Castor bones (beef and recently elk). We just give them raw and he chews and carries the bone around for half an hour and then we take it away and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge until the next day or so when he gets it. We have learned the hard way to be careful - last summer Castor hid a marrow bone under a blanket on the couch and when I found it a couple of days later there were fly-maggots on the bone. After that really awful experience Castor now knows that bones are not allowed on the couch! We buy raw bones from the butcher's and pet stores.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I've been too scared to feed my dogs raw bones, but I've read that big raw beef knucklebones (as big as possible ) and uncut raw oxtails should be safe. They should be frozen for two weeks to kill parasites before serving ( you can run warm water over them before serving ).

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I'm probably going to buy bullysticks - they are having a 25% off sale. https://www.bestbullysticks.com/ They are expensive though and dog can finish in 10 minutes. Changed my mind- still too expensive, plus you never know if they can be contaminated with e.coli or MRSA

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Baby carrots
Chicken feet
Sour kraut
Pecks

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks to all!! I figured that the bones should be boiled or something, good thing I asked. Will think on it. Tried carrots but she just chewed on it but never actually swallowed it LOL

OP
sisters3

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I don't think there is any reason to change diet because you find it boring - as long as Joey eats and is healthy, it's a good diet!

We occasionally give Castor bones (beef and recently elk). We just give them raw and he chews and carries the bone around for half an hour and then we take it away and put it in a plastic bag in the fridge until the next day or so when he gets it. We have learned the hard way to be careful - last summer Castor hid a marrow bone under a blanket on the couch and when I found it a couple of days later there were fly-maggots on the bone. After that really awful experience Castor now knows that bones are not allowed on the couch! We buy raw bones from the butcher's and pet stores.

Oh man!!!! That's some story about the bone on the couch. Yikes!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm probably going to buy bullysticks - they are having a 25% off sale. https://www.bestbullysticks.com/ They are expensive though and dog can finish in 10 minutes. Changed my mind- still too expensive, plus you never know if they can be contaminated with e.coli or MRSA

Don't do it... they are a chocking hazard and processed bull penis. 🤢

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we use nuvet vitamins as a daily treat
homemade baked sweet potato fries, just peel and cut and bake, keep in the fridge between paper towels
freeze dried liver pieces (small)
frozen green beans (though i usually forget to buy them)
cooked (or raw) egg, a sunday treat for Lola, fried or hard boiled

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I give raw marrow bone every Saturday night... go to a local butcher and have them cut to size i want. They are frozen and never had any issues with them. The boys finish them the same night so no issues with hidden bones. I then rinse them and stuff with peanut butter , freeze, for a week night treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Anyone? Even maybe just guidance on the raw/cooked whatever.....bone?

Anyone??? That was funny. Made me laugh.

I give marrow bones to Nyala without any issues. I give her also organic frozen berries. I make smoothies every morning and I give her the strawberries. I give her 1/2 a banana NOT ripe. Anyway she doesn't want ripe bananas has to be a bit on the yellow/green side, pears, dry liver, beef, salmon, duck so that's all treats.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.