2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
May I ask if the vet stated why she could not recommend a raw diet? My first reaction would be to say to find a new vet. I can attest to a raw diet helping Jax with his allergies. As stated, it didn't cure everything but it has definitely helped. I can also say that Jax would be a mess without Apoquel. Before he started the Apoquel he was on Temeril-P which is a steroid. Long term steroid use is not good. As of right now, there are no known long term affects with Apoquel.

Vets know nothing about nutrition... they are medical doctors and have no time to learn about what foods are good for a dog -- I am not knocking them, it is just how it is. They push the 'prescription foods, because the get kick backs from the industry for each bag they sell/prescribe.

Just as an update if anyone is interested we are starting Honest Kitchen's Base mix today with quinoa. Our plan is if he's doing ok with that after we fully switch over for a week or so we are going to give turkey a try with the honest kitchen. He seems to negatively respond pretty quickly to something if it doesn't agree with him so I'm hoping to be able to know pretty quickly if it's doing good. Thank you to everyone who gave us advise. I'm hoping we are finally moving in the right direction. I'm hoping to start the Apoquel in the next few weeks as well. I'll give an update soon.

Thanks

Kevin best of luck... Connecticut /New York pricing is outrageous.... interesting though, they test done for my guys are sent to a lab in, I think MASS :blink:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Honest Kitchen is one of the least expensive dehydrated raw dog foods so it's a good one to try first. If your dog doesn't like it there are lots of others to try. It's great that you bought the base mix so you can try out different proteins without having to buy a new box each time. I assume you bought Kindly, since that's very few ingredients?

TrulyScrumptous

Apr 2, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Truly Scrumptious
Regarding Apoquel the "miracle" drug. My vet required blood work prior to putting my bulldog on this drug. She was on it for almost 3 months. By 24 hours, she completely stopped licking her paws. It truly was a miracle. We seemed to experience zero side effects (or at least I thought so). In hindsight I realize she was urinating more frequently which is reported as a common side effect by many users.
It wasn't until a trip to the mountains in the snow (2 months into taking the drug) when I realized her increased urination also included blood in her urine as we could see it in the snow. Aside from that, she showed no signs of discomfort. I immediately drove her 6 hours to the closest open vet on a Saturday. Lab work showed she had a UTI (her first). The vet put her on antibiotics and she seemed to recover. Two weeks after finishing her antibiotics, I notice the increase in urination again and I go straight outside to wipe her after and again see blood. She went in to our regular vet and I am awaiting the results from a complete blood panel but I have taken her off the Apoquel and she is being treated for another UTI. Come to find out, I reached out to several people that have also mentioned the increased urination in their pets where I asked them to wipe their pets and they also found blood.

Please anyone giving their pets Apoquel, if you notice this side effect please check for blood, it might not be noticeable and you may just think your pet is only urinating more as a "normal" side effect. It is not and they may have a severe infection. Apoquel lowers your pets immune system and this could be the cause of increased risk to UTI's or it could be caused by something else from the drug. All pets with increased urination need to be checked by their vets. I also noticed in many of those pet owners having the increased urination, they also noticed an increase in aggression. That is not surprising at all if their pet is in discomfort so also have your pet checked if you notice an increase in aggression. They are trying to tell you they are in PAIN. :(

Kevin, I believe you have a vet that really cares about your pet and that is why they require the blood work to be done. My vet did the same thing and she also advised to take our dog off Apoquel because of the UTI concern and in her opinion it was not coincidental. Google the drug and do your research as there are many pet owners with serious issues from taking this drug. I will update as soon as I get more test results.

OP
K

kevin1005

Mar 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton Porter
Well here is my 1 week update on Hamilton.

We started Honest Kitchen on the 12th, and have fully weened him off of the Royal Canin since 3/15
We did Quinoa for a few days, and he was starting to improve, so I ran out of quinoa and started him on turkey on Saturday, now he is taking honest kitchen and turkey only.

We have seen pretty incredible improvement with him. I was hesitant to write this because it's only been a week, but I can't deny how good he looks. His skin is much less red, his chin and belly are more of a pinkish white. His paws have been looking better as well. No eye goop in the morning which is great. He obviously looks forward to his food every meal, I'm sure I would to if I only ate hard kibble for 9 months. Also his eyes have opened more, so hopefully he continues to get less itchy and his swelling will continue to go down. I will keep you posted. Here is a new pic of him.

Thank you to everyone who gave me advice about the food.View attachment 104692

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

We started Honest Kitchen on the 12th, and have fully weened him off of the Royal Canin since 3/15
We did Quinoa for a few days, and he was starting to improve, so I ran out of quinoa and started him on turkey on Saturday, now he is taking honest kitchen and turkey only.

We have seen pretty incredible improvement with him. I was hesitant to write this because it's only been a week, but I can't deny how good he looks. His skin is much less red, his chin and belly are more of a pinkish white. His paws have been looking better as well. No eye goop in the morning which is great. He obviously looks forward to his food every meal, I'm sure I would to if I only ate hard kibble for 9 months. Also his eyes have opened more, so hopefully he continues to get less itchy and his swelling will continue to go down. I will keep you posted. Here is a new pic of him.

Photo wont open but im sure he looks better. Why dont you start reading this thread.....

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

You will be so amazed how essential oils can clear a lot of skin issues and health issues. Just a diffuser (ultrasonic one) will clear your dog's lungs, get the blood flowing nice n clean. You will have one change baby. Just read and you'll get it. :)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Please post some pics of Hammy! "Openable" pics preferred. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

AWESOME!! Love when things work out-- keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLMOM

Apr 22, 2017
USA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph Lauren
The cost of blood testing outweighs the cost medicines and food cost. Poor boy needs relief. We had to put Ralph on a boiled lean beef and rice diet to clear out his digestive system. Serving 2 1/2 cups daily for one week, adding pan boiled organic spinach and 1 to oil into prepared about. Then increased food to 3X day, 1 cup serving. After the Prednisone shot we had wait 2 weeks before allergy testing. At this point we are making his meals in a quantity for 3 days .
Fairly easy to do after a couple of days of experience.
Ralph is much better. After every 3 rd day we can add a new ingredient like coconut oil/water and other healthy vegetables.
It sounds like alot of work but once you start it becomes easier each time.
Ralph is allergic to chicken and all chicken bi products. Also, many the ingredients of dog food eventually make him itch and lick his paws.
Snacks are ice chips and cut up carrots at this point but hopeful since he is feeling better.
Good luck!!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
So good to hear!! Love to see a pic;?)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Amazing update and so happy he's on the road to better days! THK was our saving grace as well after numerous kibbles! We love it! Can't wait to see new pics of boy [emoji3]

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Since we started this thread some people have been switching their dog over from Apoquel to Cytopoint since it's an injection every 1-2 months, and has less side effects ( Apoquel can sometimes cause UTI and skin cancers if used long term ). It's worth asking your vet about that.

Just as an update if anyone is interested we are starting Honest Kitchen's Base mix today with quinoa. Our plan is if he's doing ok with that after we fully switch over for a week or so we are going to give turkey a try with the honest kitchen. He seems to negatively respond pretty quickly to something if it doesn't agree with him so I'm hoping to be able to know pretty quickly if it's doing good. Thank you to everyone who gave us advise. I'm hoping we are finally moving in the right direction. I'm hoping to start the Apoquel in the next few weeks as well. I'll give an update soon.

Thanks

OP
K

kevin1005

Mar 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton Porter
So good to hear!! Love to see a pic;?)

Hello Everyone. I'm sorry it's been a while. Here is an update on Hamilton. A lot has happened since my last post

We have been doing Honest Kitchen Preference with Quinoa and Lentils since 3/12. I tried switching to ground turkey, but after 3 days he started to turn red in the face with increased itchiness. Going back on the quinoa and lentils has fixed this.

He had eye surgery AGAIN on his right eye on 4/12 to once again fix his wrinkles rolling in. This time I think it really worked well for him, He has healed up nicely.

We tried Apoquel and honestly, there was no change. He actually seemed to get more itchy and scratched his eye THREE separate times while on the meds trying to itch his face with his paw. I was reading online that an increase in ear infections is possible on the medication, which has been one of his main problems for months, and all the other negative side effects I have read about it with the combination of my tendency towards natural remedies has resulted in us stopping the medication after 2 weeks. We told our allergy doctor we just need to take a break for a while till after the eye surgery calms down and things get back to some what normal.

I think all along the main offender was the food, and most of that has since cleared up. He has been wearing a cone for about 3 weeks; a week before the surgery to prevent him from scratching his eye from the irritation of the wrinkle fold, and now he's been wearing it until he fully heals.

I'm kind of at a little bit of a loss, because I've taken the cone off him the last day or 2, but need to constantly monitor him or else he starts to rub his face on the couch, or door jam corners, or anything else. Before the surgery and since, he has a habit of laying on the couch at night and itching his face with his inside nail. Physically digging his nail into his eye, and he has scratched it multiple times, which has resulted in 6 or 7 visits back to the Eye Vet. (CRAZY) I'm hoping the reason he's just itchy now is from the hair growing back around the eye from the surgery. Before the surgery I can justify his irritation from the eye fold, but I'm not sure. His skin looks so good, better than I've seen it in years.

He's also down to 47 pounds, and I think he looks great. He was at one point 63 pounds when we were giving him Royal Canin. He's now eating a larger quantity, seems more satisfied and looking more healthy.

I am going to swap out the quinoa and lentils today for chicken, so I will keep everyone posted on how that goes.

Do other people have problems with their bulldogs rubbing their face on everything and scratching their eyes? I obviously don't want to have to cone him every time we aren't around.

Here is an updated picture of him.

Thank you for your help!

hamilton 4-17.jpg

OP
K

kevin1005

Mar 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton Porter
Here's the Before Pic of Ham at 3/12 and today at 4/23before and after ham.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Here's the Before Pic of Ham at 3/12 and today at 4/23View attachment 105517

He looks great!!! Instead of chicken.. have you thought of duck or bison?

Also, if you need an anti-itch medicine.. ask about cytopoint/CADI shots, we got it for Lambeau maybe a week ago and no scratching since. There are no side effects and he has stopped scratching his face which he did constantly

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.