Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I'm looking to add something to SeaBass' diet to help him gain about 2-3 pounds. Today at his vet appt. he was down a pound from Aug. I have already upped his kibble (Fromm Pork and Peas) by a cup a day (total of 3 cups a day). The vet is going to do fecal and blood tests to rule out any underlying issues (parasites etc…) His blood work was great back in Aug. He takes heart worm every month. No ticks since last summer/fall. No vomiting or diarrhea.

If everything medical is ruled out, I need to find a way to put a few more pounds on him. His metabolism is high, his exercise level is normal.

I have added eggs, yogurt and occasionally butcher meat to his diet. Recently sauerkraut with no side effects.

One thing to keep in mind is that he is still "intact". I am considering having him go through the surgery and will schedule an appt. w/a surgeon to discuss. This could quite possibly be the reason that he doesn't gain weight…however, I do not want him losing anymore!

Before I meet w/the surgeon and while I'm awaiting the test results…any suggestions diet related that could help to pack on a few pounds in a healthy way? Allergies are an issue and soft/moist food was not recommended from the vet-tech doing his assessment…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did they or are they checking his thyroid levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Feed him smaller meals more often. So up his food but spread it out so he gets best nutrients.

My vet also told me to up food. We had gone down to 2 to 2.5 cups a day but he lost weight. He is also intact.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Walter was WAY thinner before he was neutered... now he's putting on the pounds. The vet doesn't seemed concerned, and he's pretty active for a bulldog.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Walter was WAY thinner before he was neutered... now he's putting on the pounds. The vet doesn't seemed concerned, and he's pretty active for a bulldog.

Bentley was neutered and he is still the same weight. However, Bentley only has one speed..."perpetual play." That is, he is extremely active in and outside. I guess he is making up for his first 8 months that he lost.

As far a weight goes, Jewel was 19 pounds at 10 weeks old and she got up to 65 lbs at 1 year. The vet said she could stand to lose a few pounds. Frankly, Bentley and Jewel can stay where their at and we will see as time goes by.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Do you have resent fotos of him? Why do you want him to gain weight? 15253450_10154806937709726_7663938730816983598_n.jpg14938159_10154757822144726_2737238239209432433_n.jpgThis is my Voitto at 27 kilos / 60 lbs and I dont think he needs to gain any. Some may think he's too thin, but I don't think bullys need to more fat that any other breed.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Thank you for the tips/replies...

They are doing full blood work, so I'm assuming they will check his thyroid…he is not having any other symptoms for hyper-but it could be a possibility.

We started feeding him 3X a day instead of 2X, but I could distribute his food to do 4 or possibly 5, not sure that would make a difference, he would still be getting the same amount of food. I can not increase his kibble dosage, he is already at 3 cups a day…that's the most he's allowed.

I do have pics, I'll attach below.

IMG_6582.JPGIMG_6587.JPGIMG_6584.JPGIMG_6583.JPG

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
This Newbie has nothing to add, But Wish the best for Seabass's Testing!!:pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for the tips/replies...

They are doing full blood work, so I'm assuming they will check his thyroid…he is not having any other symptoms for hyper-but it could be a possibility.

We started feeding him 3X a day instead of 2X, but I could distribute his food to do 4 or possibly 5, not sure that would make a difference, he would still be getting the same amount of food. I can not increase his kibble dosage, he is already at 3 cups a day…that's the most he's allowed.

I do have pics, I'll attach below.

View attachment 104299View attachment 104300View attachment 104301View attachment 104302

LOVE me some Sea-Bass! he does not look thin at all. You'll need to ask them to check thyroid, it is not part of the normal blood work

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Where on earth do you see him thin? Looks great to me! You are better having a slimmer EB or any dog than a pleasantly plump one.

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Where on earth do you see him thin? Looks great to me! You are better having a slimmer EB or any dog than a pleasantly plump one.
He has dropped a pound since Aug. and he's down 5-7 pounds total…for no reason. There is definitely something going on and the vet also would like to see him a few pounds heavier. He is in great shape, agreed, but should not be losing weight!

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
LOVE me some Sea-Bass! he does not look thin at all. You'll need to ask them to check thyroid, it is not part of the normal blood work

Yes, I will request that, thank you. The pics don't quite show below his rib cage where, at times, he looks so tiny. Plus I can feel his ribs more now than before. If it's not a parasite, there is a definite reason why he is losing...

OP
NewEnglandBully

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Here's another angle from a video I took (couldn't upload video, so I stillshoted them).

I know he doesn't look ameciated but he is on the thin side…at some points of the day more than others he looks so indented below his ribs. I wouldn't be as concerned if he wasn't steadily losing, especially with upping his food, at the very least he should be maintaining if not gaining. I'll update once we get all the results from the labs.

IMG_6697.PNGFullSizeRender.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He has dropped a pound since Aug. and he's down 5-7 pounds total…for no reason. There is definitely something going on and the vet also would like to see him a few pounds heavier. He is in great shape, agreed, but should not be losing weight!

Ok I see now. Thought was just recently a couple pounds.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.