Help Needed! Honest Kitchen

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Ok, got my first honest kitchen today. Looks like according to weight he should get 2 cups daily. So I am dividing that into 1 cup twice daily. Question, what consistency is the food supposed to be? I expected soft or mushy but it was more watery. I added 1 1/2 cup warm water to 1 cup of feed and waited the 3 minutes. It just seemed too watery and he had difficulty eating it all. He actually regurgitated a little bit. He is not a small bulldog. He is 85 pounds so didn't feel amount was too much. It was like he filled up on the liquid. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i don't use that brand, but others who do will be along to help. We feed raw and freeze dried raw, and I think its important that the water be incorporated as instructed. Our raw fed bully drinks way less water than our kibble fed bully because of the moisture intake.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ok, got my first honest kitchen today. Looks like according to weight he should get 2 cups daily. So I am dividing that into 1 cup twice daily. Question, what consistency is the food supposed to be? I expected soft or mushy but it was more watery. I added 1 1/2 cup warm water to 1 cup of feed and waited the 3 minutes. It just seemed too watery and he had difficulty eating it all. He actually regurgitated a little bit. He is not a small bulldog. He is 85 pounds so didn't feel amount was too much. It was like he filled up on the liquid. Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?

We feed THK, my best recommendation is to pre-prep the meals. It gives the water time to get absorbed. I found that making it "at" feeding time took too long, and it was too watery... so what we do now is prep ahead... I have a tupperware dedicated just for it. I prep it at each meal time for the next, if that makes sense. So go ahead and mix his dinner portion now, and place it in the fridge. Tonight after his dinner, mix his next meal (breakfast) it works well, and you will get the stew like consistency. Plus saves time! You don't have to sit there and wait for it......... works great for us. I add a bit of warm water at meal time so its not cold :) Let me know how that works for you!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Almost the same as this :) but,,,,,,, I do for two meals at a time, then soak the next overnight... Not strict about it, but pretty close to that... I also use warm water (from my tea kettle) to soak it and I think that does the trick as well. And then, in the morn, use my tea kettle water to 'warm it up'... I remember someone else talking about the consistency being watery, but thickens up real well for us... all three that we use..... kindly (add our protein) preference(add our own protein) and Marvel, the one that has turkey in it :) We, me and Hank ;) LOVE it and the' outcome ' or 'out Go' is beautiful.... well, ya know :)
We feed THK, my best recommendation is to pre-prep the meals. It gives the water time to get absorbed. I found that making it "at" feeding time took too long, and it was too watery... so what we do now is prep ahead... I have a tupperware dedicated just for it. I prep it at each meal time for the next, if that makes sense. So go ahead and mix his dinner portion now, and place it in the fridge. Tonight after his dinner, mix his next meal (breakfast) it works well, and you will get the stew like consistency. Plus saves time! You don't have to sit there and wait for it......... works great for us. I add a bit of warm water at meal time so its not cold :) Let me know how that works for you!

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014

Good idea.... was wondering if you served it cold or warm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Same here as momma TyTy I prep it ever supper time so next day Nyala gets her 2 meals. Is yours with the protein? If not if its Kindly or Preference and you add your meat, its 1 1/3 cup of dry, 2 cups of water, 1 1/3 of meat for the size of your dog. So not sure which one you have.

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
Same here as momma TyTy I prep it ever supper time so next day Nyala gets her 2 meals. Is yours with the protein? If not if its Kindly or Preference and you add your meat, its 1 1/3 cup of dry, 2 cups of water, 1 1/3 of meat for the size of your dog. So not sure which one you have.

I have the Marvel with Turkey.

OP
apennycuff

apennycuff

Jul 28, 2014
I have the Marvel with Turkey.

Do you think you could warm it in microwave versus adding warm water to warm? This am when I took it out of fridge it was a good consistency, just about like oatmeal but as soon as I added warm water, it got watery again. I don't want to give it to him cold, afraid that would cause stomach upset. It almost seems like there is so much liquid that it is bothering him some right after, like he is too full. A lot of belching. I am giving him 1 cup of feed mixed with 8 oz of warm water. He is a big bulldog, 82 pounds so wouldn't think that would be too much. What do you all think? Oh, and the bowel movements, looks just like the food that went in. Worried not absorbing well.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Do you think you could warm it in microwave versus adding warm water to warm? This am when I took it out of fridge it was a good consistency, just about like oatmeal but as soon as I added warm water, it got watery again. I don't want to give it to him cold, afraid that would cause stomach upset. It almost seems like there is so much liquid that it is bothering him some right after, like he is too full. A lot of belching. I am giving him 1 cup of feed mixed with 8 oz of warm water. He is a big bulldog, 82 pounds so wouldn't think that would be too much. What do you all think? Oh, and the bowel movements, looks just like the food that went in. Worried not absorbing well.

Yes, I microwave as well from time to time - totally safe.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would put it in the microwave for sure. Very true, you add more water it's too runny. Unless you add less water, then add the missing water with warm water or soak the bowl in hot water 15 mins before meal time. For sure microwave is faster.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online