BellaSmalls

Oct 18, 2016
Sunny California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Leah
Hello!
So we've been feeding our first dog, Bella, Orijen since she was a puppy. She's 1.5 years now. We recently added another puppy to the family and we now have her on Orijen puppy, she'll be 4 months next week. Lately I've been hearing a lot about how Orijen that is now made in the US is not the same quality as the one made in Canada. I hadn't realized that our bags now say Made in USA. Have any of you experienced a difference? I could tell the size of the kibble and color is slightly different, only because we had a bag from Canada and compared both. Bella also won't eat the kibble alone, it has to be mixed with something else in order to entice her to eat it.
If it's not as great as the Canada version then I want to consider other great options to feed my dogs. I feel that for the high price the quality should be the same. I appreciate the feedback!:)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Ellie had the Canada version till I could not get it anymore, the recipes are slightly different, if you compare them side by side. I was leary of US verison, however, Ellie has been doing fine with the new US Version, my feeling is the same if its not broke don't fix it. There is my two cents for the day!! :)

satyr

Feb 17, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Kirby
The new six fish formula is dealt away with salmon, which was a huge mistake in my opinion. I just transitioned my pup to Orijen in December and he seemed to really like it. He doesn't care for the KY formula at all, and his stools have loosened up in the last two weeks he's been on it.

Back to the drawing board...

OP
B

BellaSmalls

Oct 18, 2016
Sunny California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Leah
I've also noticed that firm poop is hit or miss. As of now I haven't came across anything worth switching to. I've noticed a lot of people here like Fromm but we were advised against it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you are having problems with your dog being allergic to some dry dog foods you might want to try a freeze dried or dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen, Sojos,Grandma Lucy's (make sure you get grain free). They usually taste better if you rehydrate after one meal for the next meal and leave it in the fridge. Try getting free samples since your dog might not like taste, my dog wouldn't eat Honest Kitchen but I plan to try others if she doesn't tolerate any of the dry kibbles. There's a list of all the 6 star dog foods here on this forum, which include kibble and freeze dried:
Artemis- Maximal Dog
Blue- Wilderness
Earthborn Holistic- Primative Natural
Fromm Four Star Foods- All Dry Kibble Formulas
Fromm Four Star Foods- All Grain Free Kibble Formulas
Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Raw
Go Natural Fit + Free Grain Free Adult, Puppy, & Senior
Honest Kitchen Freeze Dried Raw
Horizon Legacy- Adult Canine
Horizon Legacy- Puppy
Merrick-Grain Free Duck, Pork, Chicken, Buffalo
Nature's Logic Natural- All Dry Kibble Formulas
Nature's Variety- All Instinct & Grain Free Forumlas
Orijen-Adult, Puppy, Regional Red, Six Fish & Senior
Stella And Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw
Wellness Core
Wellness Core Ocean
Wellness Core Reduced Fat

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
One would think the CDN version is cheaper due to the $ versus the US $

Want to hear something funny? When I started to buy orijen about 10yrs ago for my German Shepherd, now this was in Montreal and I was paying 69 $... 10yrs ago. I moved to Alberta 8 yrs ago where orijen is made I pay 80 $!!! You would think where it's made would be cheaper!

OP
B

BellaSmalls

Oct 18, 2016
Sunny California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Leah
If you are having problems with your dog being allergic to some dry dog foods you might want to try a freeze dried or dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen, Sojos,Grandma Lucy's (make sure you get grain free). They usually taste better if you rehydrate after one meal for the next meal and leave it in the fridge. Try getting free samples since your dog might not like taste, my dog wouldn't eat Honest Kitchen but I plan to try others if she doesn't tolerate any of the dry kibbles. There's a list of all the 6 star dog foods here on this forum, which include kibble and freeze dried:
Artemis- Maximal Dog
Blue- Wilderness
Earthborn Holistic- Primative Natural
Fromm Four Star Foods- All Dry Kibble Formulas
Fromm Four Star Foods- All Grain Free Kibble Formulas
Grandma Lucy's Freeze Dried Raw
Go Natural Fit + Free Grain Free Adult, Puppy, & Senior
Honest Kitchen Freeze Dried Raw
Horizon Legacy- Adult Canine
Horizon Legacy- Puppy
Merrick-Grain Free Duck, Pork, Chicken, Buffalo
Nature's Logic Natural- All Dry Kibble Formulas
Nature's Variety- All Instinct & Grain Free Forumlas
Orijen-Adult, Puppy, Regional Red, Six Fish & Senior
Stella And Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw
Wellness Core
Wellness Core Ocean
Wellness Core Reduced Fat

Thank you! We have tried The Honest Kitchen and she would not touch it at all. I'll make sure to look into these other brands.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.