Considering a switch to adult food, 7mos old

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
Hi,

Currently in a bit of a pickle here. Pablo is 7 months old today. He weighs somewhere around 60 lbs. We want to slow him down, feeding him 1.5 cups x2 a day. Puppy food, pinkbag fromm.
They recommended that I consider switching to large breed adult fromm if the goal is to slow him down. My concern is that he needs these nutrients from the puppy formula until he's 1-1.5 years.

I'm not convinced he doesn't have some olde english in him, along with regular english bully. His dad was a total beefcake, huge, and I think he's on track to be the same.

Any tips in terms of if this switch should not occur? Thanks in advance!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Transitioning to adult food now is fine. And if he's destined to be a 70 pounder then 1.5 cups per day is probably OK. Just make sure he maintains a waistline.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
You think halving his food would be fine? :eek: He'll hate me :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Chip stated, you can switch now... use Fromm grain free line - and do 1 cup 2x a day and see if he levels off... if you want a 'filler' for him.. add some green beans.

Lycilizzy

Oct 17, 2016
Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Lucy is 13 months. We switched her to adult Fromm a couple of weeks ago from using a different brand of food. She gets 1 1/4cups twice a day. She is a smaller 40lb English bulldog. Her papers say olde English, but there is nothing "olde" about her! Lol. She is very trim and full of energy. My husband keeps talking about "fattening her up" but I think she is perfect and so does the vet!

I would say you are ok to switch, or maybe mix puppy and adult food if you feel better about it.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
New Fromm Adult Heartland Gold Grain Free has just arrived. gave him a few nibbles and he loved it. First feeding is tonight, with a nice mix of pup and adult. I'm excited, he is but just doesn't knwo it yet.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
New Fromm Adult Heartland Gold Grain Free has just arrived. gave him a few nibbles and he loved it. First feeding is tonight, with a nice mix of pup and adult. I'm excited, he is but just doesn't knwo it yet.

GOOD LUCK!!

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
I agree with the others it's fine to switch. Mine was on orijen puppy but had allergies to it so he went to raw at 4months old. There isn't a puppy formula for raw and he's now 8month and 62lbs so I think he's doing ok:) Some kibble doesn't even come in puppy just "all life stages". Good luck on your switch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, you can switch now.

OP
T

Thed163

Nov 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pablo
We've switched. He loves his new food... but he loves any food so... But my gf and I both believe he has slowed down over the past month. I am not sure if because of the food or that was just bound to happen, but luckily he's slowed.

Cleybagirl

Jun 5, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I have a 14 month olde English bulldog. I was wondering what dry food anyone can recommend. The vet said prescription diet but it’s super expensive. I give him Victor dog food. It’s good dog food but would like so advice! Thanks

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have a 14 month olde English bulldog. I was wondering what dry food anyone can recommend. The vet said prescription diet but it’s super expensive. I give him Victor dog food. It’s good dog food but would like so advice! Thanks

Welcome!!! Not one member will recommend you ANY vet prescribed vet food. DO NOT start your dog on that! Full of grains, fillers and most important thing is Science Hill is still under recall advisory. Dogs are dying cause of high vitamin D.

Best kibbles on the market and the one I prefer n most cause it has tripe in it is Acana. Stick to one protein per bag as you can follow any allergies IF any.

Best brands
Acana, Fromm, Zignature....others will add to my list. But please subscribe yourself to...

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Stick to 5 star brands only (4-5)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Welcome!!! Not one member will recommend you ANY vet prescribed vet food. DO NOT start your dog on that! Full of grains, fillers and most important thing is Science Hill is still under recall advisory. Dogs are dying cause of high vitamin D.

Best kibbles on the market and the one I prefer n most cause it has tripe in it is Acana. Stick to one protein per bag as you can follow any allergies IF any.

Best brands
Acana, Fromm, Zignature....others will add to my list. But please subscribe yourself to...

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Stick to 5 star brands only (4-5)

Agreed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sofia

Jul 9, 2018
Athens,Greece
Country
Greece
Bulldog(s) Names
Kyla
I think that it is a good optition to continue with adult food.
Kylla was 8 months and our vet recommend us to stop puppy food due to a limping she had.So in order to prevent making hip dysplasia worse we stop giving her acana puppy and start acana again but for adult dogs.note : we fed her 3times per day.
We also managed to control her weight by this way.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.