General Question Recurring Diarrhea/Possible IBS Food Ideas?

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
My 1yo and 2yo are both on Orijen, 6 fish which makes their coat shiny and keep their skin in overall great health. Plus, it must be tasty because they love it.

My problem is that my 1yo, Otis is having repeated bouts of diarrhea. He's been on medication twice in two months and the vet of course is saying Hills Science Diet could help. I would not feed that to my dogs, personally because we are kind of food snobs:) Can anyone recommend a high quality food, preferably with fish but beef is okay too, high protein content--that might calm Otis' stomach long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My 1yo and 2yo are both on Orijen, 6 fish which makes their coat shiny and keep their skin in overall great health. Plus, it must be tasty because they love it.

My problem is that my 1yo, Otis is having repeated bouts of diarrhea. He's been on medication twice in two months and the vet of course is saying Hills Science Diet could help. I would not feed that to my dogs, personally because we are kind of food snobs:) Can anyone recommend a high quality food, preferably with fish but beef is okay too, high protein content--that might calm Otis' stomach long term?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a thought, could it actually be the high amount of protein causing the diarrhea? Tyson did not do well on the Orijen, tummy issues as well, and could never get a solid stool. Vet said to try something with lower amount of protein since some can't handle larger amounts. Acana is a sister to orijen, maybe compare that one to see if you could find one with lower protein? Fromms, Earthborn, Wellness are some others. We personally ended up switching to The Honest Kitchen, we do the base mix and add our own protein (extra lean ground beef) Oh, and yes stay far far far away from Hills, freakin crap!

Here is a list of food ratings for more!

English Bulldog News Forums - Dog Food Ratings at English Bulldog News

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
High protein not necessary, IMO.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Have to agree with da [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]. How long have they been eating this food? And yes, smart thinking on your part for the vets food! All my dogs had orijen. Too much protein usually gives darker stools on the gray side but no diarrhea. Did you give him a new treat, veggie, fruit, dairy/cheese etc etc... or is he into something he shouldn't? Orijen is very balanced. If you want to add more fiber check out the other blue bag of orijen. Does he get snacks? I would add as snacks, sweet potato or pumpkin, lentils, apples whatever has fiber. Btw, otis haveany health issues? He's on meds for just the diarrhea?

A List of The Best High Fiber Dog Foods - Why Your Dog Needs Fiber

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
We are on a food journey with Reggie too - its a nightmare!

What has he been tested for at the vet? Are they saying change diet because they've ruled out parasites/bacteria etc?
In the mean time the best advice I got from this site was to get some canned pumpkin & add 1 teaspoon to one of his meals, to help firm things up. I used mashed sweet potato while I was waiting for the pumpkin and that worked well too.
Did you try the bland diet while he had diarreah? Reggie has just scrambled egg & rice when his tummy is upset.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If the vet tested for all parasites, including giardia and the soft poo is still happening then the food is not agreeing with your baby... follow Jessica and Helene's suggestion of a food with lower protein.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
While the food or a high amount protein could be the issue another possibility could be the level of bacteria in the stomach. If you have tried different foods with high and low protein levels and it is still happening I would have the vet do a bacteria count and if it is too high it can cause runny to explosive poo as well. I had this happen to one of my pups several years ago and the high bacteria count was the cause. Now this odd thing is if it was the case they will most likely prescribe Tylan powder to correct it which is normally used for gut health on chickens, turkeys and swine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
While the food or a high amount protein could be the issue another possibility could be the level of bacteria in the stomach. If you have tried different foods with high and low protein levels and it is still happening I would have the vet do a bacteria count and if it is too high it can cause runny to explosive poo as well. I had this happen to one of my pups several years ago and the high bacteria count was the cause. Now this odd thing is if it was the case they will most likely prescribe Tylan powder to correct it which is normally used for gut health on chickens, turkeys and swine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Tell me about it!! Reggie is currently being treated for a campylobacter infection that he's probably had since we got him.
We've had soft poops & recurring diarreah from the start. Another symptom of it is heavy straining to go. Antibiotic of choice for that is Erythromycin.
Definitely worth testing for, if not already done. A bacterial infection can get pretty nasty :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.