monte

Apr 9, 2014
Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Monte
Hi there,

Would anyone know what the best food to feed is for a bully with urinary tract issues?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
What kind of urinary track issues?

OP
monte

monte

Apr 9, 2014
Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Monte
Monte had a urinary tract infection a couple of weeks ago, and I think it's coming back. We will know for sure tomorrow once we do the urine analysis. He has been on Royal Canin Urinary SO for about 3 years because as a puppy he had a prolapsed urethra and had surgery to correct the issue. The vet suggested we feed him the Urinary SO, however when we brought him to Emergency a couple of weeks ago, the doctor said that the urinary food doesn't necessarily work that well, so I was hoping to see if anyone knows of a food that will be good for him.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I will also say it depends on the type of urinary track issue. Does he have stones? Royal is garbage, full of fillers. Depending on what his analysis reveals generally either raw, home cooked, or high quality kibble. We personally feed The Honest Kitchen (we use the base mix) and add in lean ground beef as the protein. You'll want to see what the results are first to see what you need diet wise. Example, does he need less protein, more protein, etc.

OP
monte

monte

Apr 9, 2014
Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Monte
Thank you for your reply. I should know tomorrow. Having said that, he didn't have any stones a couple of weeks ago. Will let you know what the results are.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for your reply. I should know tomorrow. Having said that, he didn't have any stones a couple of weeks ago. Will let you know what the results are.

Great, let us know! Then its easier to pin-point where you need to go diet wise :)

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
Nelly has a past history with UTIs. We switched her from Royal Canin to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison and Sweet Potato, including treats. We also put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in her evening kibble. We wipe her with a baby wipe once a day (perfume/lotion free, etc.).

There is a great article on here on how to deal with UTIs. They can take time to clear, requiring multiple cycles of antibiotics. If you're dealing with recurring UTIs, you should have a screen run when the antibiotics run out to make sure they were effective.

Here's the article: English Bulldog News Forums - How to Successfully Treat a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)

Good luck!

Last edited:

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Nelly has a past history with UTIs. We switched her from Royal Canin to Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Venison and Sweet Potato, including treats. We also put a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (with the mother) in her evening kibble. We wipe her with a baby wipe once a day (perfume/lotion free, etc.).

There is a great article on here on how to deal with UTIs. They can take time to clear, requiring multiple cycles of antibiotics. If you're dealing with recurring UTIs, you should have a screen run when the antibiotics run out to make sure they were effective.

Here's the article: English Bulldog News Forums - How to Successfully Treat a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection)

Good luck!
:goodpost:

Also talk to [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] about Pre and Probiotics if you're dealing w/multiple UTIs and antibiotics…if you are doing research on a new diet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there,

Would anyone know what the best food to feed is for a bully with urinary tract issues?

HOME COOKING!!!! Hello neighbour. That's why I started Nyala on home cooking cause of same issues plus crystals. I just didn't want to go through all the kibbles out there to see which one would work. Didn't want to put her through the long process. Started home cooking and...bang.... gone in same week. She was 4-5 months old. Today she 16 months old. Now shes eating Honest Kitchen. I like boiling a hugh turkey for 6 hours and keeping the broth. Top it with veggies. I would freeze her meals in ziplocs. Just more busy these days so HK it is. She loves it. I still cook her protein for her meals. You vcan buy HK with turkey inside. I buy the base and she does 5weeks with the box.

IF you cant do home cooking, since you're in Canada you can buy Acana with one protein. Either lamb, duck, fish or pork. Nyala did not do well with the fish. Did great on lamb! Acana would be one of the best kibbles!

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
PS. We do periodically add yogurt to her diet as well, when her uti, ears, or wrinkles act up. Greek, nonfat, plain. Also, Natural Balance is available on amazon, more convenient and less expensive than the pet store if you decide to try it out.

OP
monte

monte

Apr 9, 2014
Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Monte
Hi there, got the results. Monte has no stones and no crystals, just a lot of bacteria. He's back on antibiotics for the next 21 days, followed by another urine test to make sure the bacteria is gone. As you suggested I will either try home made food or a high quality kibble. From what I've read I think I would go with Acana.

Thank you everyone for your replies and recommendations.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Also a hefty dose of probiotics is in order. That will aid the digestive system when on antibiotics and also general well-being.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.