rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
So my boy Lincoln, 9.5 months old, weighing about 48 lbs., is showing very little interest in his food the past week; however, I should mention that ever since I've had him since 12 weeks old, he's never been much of an eater. But lately, he's been eating very little at meals times. I feed him twice a day right now, about 2.5-3 cups total of Taste of the Wild Adult food. Over the past week or so, I would say he's only been eating about ~1 - 1.5 cups total a day, which is really a lot less than what he should be eating.

He seems to be acting normal still and his stools look fine. He's not throwing up or really showing any red flags for any illness. I don't want to leave food down for him all day and want him to learn to eat at meal times, but I'm starting to worry! Any suggestions? I usually give him 5-10 minutes to eat and if he walks away I take the bowl away. I've tried adding in cooked chicken / rice / greek yogurt but doesn't really help (usually he'll just pick out the chicken and just eat that!). He does not get extras during the day; occasionally a kong with some peanut butter.

Should I take him to the vet or just continue to let him eat the way he is now?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think you might be feeding too much and he just is not hungry.... 1 cup 2x a day is plenty--- try that and see how he does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Yes, I agree with Christine. Tyson gets one cup 2x a day. We also add some treats, fruits, egg, etc from time to time :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty gets about 3/4 cup twice a day with veggies. He is a low energy dog though and if I feed him more, he gains weight.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
2 cups per day is good if you're giving him extras like mentioned fruits, veggies marrow bones. Also is the peanut butter 100% or the one you buy with the kong? Well here read this poster...

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...and-nutrition/53654-dog-peanut-allergies.html

When I got Nyala she was free fed. Free fed basically they won't eat much. I never removed her food as she was eating less than 2 cups at 3 months old. I started to top her food with organs. (Cooked) I also started to cook for her. She hasn't stopped eating now lol.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I agree with Christine. Tyson gets one cup 2x a day. We also add some treats, fruits, egg, etc from time to time :)

If I fed my dogs that small amount, they would call the Humane Society for cruelty!! :lmaogirl:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
OMG! Embarrassing......................... [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION]

OP
rbourque314

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
Just store brand 100% natural PB, no added anything

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.