General Question When your dog enters the senior age do you switch to senior food?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
This year Miss Pork chop turns 8. I was thinking about her food. She currently, eats Canidae is it wise of me to switch to senior formula or keep her with the non senior until she turns 9?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Is she doing well with what she's on? Did she gain weight? Allergies? Health issues? If canidae is keeping her healthy, why switch? Don't touch what's not broken especially at that age. I personally would wait another year for sure and even go by year. I find senior in dogs is more around 10yrs old.

Ok im going to say something which I might get attacked by other members...lollll A dog breed and that's any breed who doesn't have a long life span like 8-9yrs old doesn't mean they are seniors. I find a dog starts getting old around 10yrs old. You hear more n more EB over 10 now. Dogs are like humans, you are what you eat. Ok that's MY 2 cents.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Is she doing well with what she's on? Did she gain weight? Allergies? Health issues? If canidae is keeping her healthy, why switch? Don't touch what's not broken especially at that age. I personally would wait another year for sure and even go by year. I find senior in dogs is more around 10yrs old.

Ok im going to say something which I might get attacked by other members...lollll A dog breed and that's any breed who doesn't have a long life span like 8-9yrs old doesn't mean they are seniors. I find a dog starts getting old around 10yrs old. You hear more n more EB over 10 now. Dogs are like humans, you are what you eat. Ok that's MY 2 cents.

Overall , she appears to be healthy. Just allergies and is on Apoquel. We have to go for blood work soon to refill her medication. I am a newbie that's the reason I am asking. People tell me age 8 is considered senior. I have to agree with you 10 years old seems senior age to me.

Canidae works well with her digestive system wise and shiny coat. I do give her joint strong as well . She looks good , I maintain her weight if she looks too chubby , she gets put on diet 1/2 cup of green beans and dog food.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Overall , she appears to be healthy. Just allergies and is on Apoquel. We have to go for blood work soon to refill her medication. I am a newbie that's the reason I am asking. People tell me age 8 is considered senior. I have to agree with you 10 years old seems senior age to me.

Canidae works well with her digestive system wise and shiny coat. I do give her joint strong as well . She looks good , I maintain her weight if she looks too chubby , she gets put on diet 1/2 cup of green beans and dog food.

I think you just answered your own question. :yes: you're doing fine. Go with Madame Pork Chop's flow. Good on adding joint supplements.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
If she is doing great, make zero changes. One small change (even if you think is for the good) could cause all kinds of issues. By the sounds of it, she's doing great on her current food, and you are already giving a joint supplement which is wonderful!

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you just answered your own question. :yes: you're doing fine. Go with Madame Pork Chop's flow. Good on adding joint supplements.

I like to ask questions because I am a first time dog owner. Miss Pork chop is my first dog and just look after her well being. I am a concerned mommy lol

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If she is doing great, make zero changes. One small change (even if you think is for the good) could cause all kinds of issues. By the sounds of it, she's doing great on her current food, and you are already giving a joint supplement which is wonderful!

I take any advice :)

Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree... don't change unless there is some issue needing you to change.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree... don't change unless there is some issue needing you to change.

I am learning all the time . I will not change her food.

She got her blood work results back, she's fine.

Members online

No members online now.